A House Master's Duty

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The birds were the first thing September heard. They entered her sleep and eventually, she would open her eyes, realise where she was and relax. When she first arrived in Seoul and shown to her room on the Song Estate, she’d been perplexed by the grandeur of it.

Why was she, a lowly butler, afforded a four-poster bed? En-suite bathroom with an adjoining dressing room? A little study to the left and a separate lounge area. This was a small apartment, not a room for a servant.

“I think there must be a mistake…” she turned to the man, the man who had brought her here. Away from everything she knew. The man that always seemed to be watching her as if she were something that needed to be fixed and he couldn’t figure out which part of her was broken – all of me. The answer was simple, someone as broken as she was, couldn’t be put back together.

“This is the House Master’s living quarters.” Lee Sehun had walked into the room, “You may, of course, have it decorated to your taste,”

September bowed suddenly, “I am a butler…I have heard of House Masters, but I’m afraid Master Sehun is mistaken about my rank and ability...” she kept her eyes lowered.

“This household only has room for a House Master. We already have a head butler and footmen and groundsmen and housekeepers. If you cannot be a House Master, then what use are you?” this was all said with no emotion. No rise or fall of the voice. September had kept her head lowered, too ashamed, too afraid of going back there…

“You can rest here for the night,” Sehun concluded when she didn’t respond.

In the morning, she'd woken early, earlier than anyone else. Bathed and changed back into the clothes she’d washed overnight. She’d left in a hurry. There was not much in her possession but literally the clothes on her back. September left the room, taking a last look around. It was a nice dream. A night in a warm bed would keep her warm for the rest of her life.

“Ah, good you’re packed.” The head butler Haida was having his coffee in the kitchen with the head housekeeper Ima and Mari, the robust and cheerful chef who’d happily served her dinner last night, “Yes. Perhaps I could trouble you for some water and then I’ll be on my way?”

They were staring at her.

September bowed, “I thank you for the kindness you’ve shown me…” she couldn’t’ finish. She had even allowed herself to imagine sharing warm meals with them next to the fire. Silly girl. Turning, she trudged past them and out the kitchen door. There was a side gate for workers, she headed in that direction.

“House Master…” she turned and found Haida, Ima and Mari outside the kitchen door on the pebbled path, “House Master, where are you going?”

“I am not your House Master…I think there must be a mistake. I am to go home today…”

“No, no child…” Haida walked up to her, “You are to travel to Japan today, to receive training under the former Song, Jung, Min and Lee House Masters.” He took out a wad of paper, “See it’s right here on the Song Schedule.” He pointed to a table and September read with shock.

There was her real name and travel arrangements to Japan. The ticket was Business Class.

“I am going to Japan?”

Haida smiled good naturally, “Yes child, to be trained by the best House Masters to ever work for this Consortium. I was going to wake you later but since you’re up, I will inform the President.”

“The President?”

“President of the family business and the head of this estate! Come, Song Gaelin is eager to meet you.”

September remembered being swept back inside, down a long but wide passage. The house was alive with young girls cleaning rooms and Ima checking on their progress. Finally, she was pushed into a bright room.

 

Song Morning Room 

Green furniture, massive Persian covering the parquet floors, huge vases – priceless with large lilies that injected their deep intense fragrance into the room and then the woman, standing at the windows. Tall, elegant, graceful, turning with the sun behind her. September shielded her eyes.

That was the first time she’d met Song Gaelin.

“You look but a child,” Gaelin circled her, “And you are to be our next House Master.”

September kept her head bent. Gaelin had titled her chin up, “A House Master is the face of the household. No more looking down. Stand tall, be proud.”

It was the first time someone had taught her without punishing her. The first time she’d been told it was okay stand tall.

September straightened, squaring her shoulders.

Gaelin smiled, “I think you and I are going to get on famously!” she slipped her hand through September’s and whirled her around, “Let me give you the grand tour. Knowing my Sehunah, he has not even bothered. I’ll even show you the secret passages!” Gaelin whispered conspiratorially. “Now, I don’t want you to let Ren scare you and if she does, you must go to Tanaka. He is the b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter