109. It's just a dream (Happy Halloween)

This is the Choi Family

I'm sorry. This is the first time that I missed a Friday. Midterms are here and I did not manage my time properly. Here is a scary(traumatic) story.

-------------

CRASH!

Mingyu shot out of bed, hearing the shattering sound of glass or porcelain. Glancing at his clock next to him, it was 3 in the morning. Worried something happened downstairs, he pushed away his blanket and put on his slippers, intending to check downstairs. Just then, noise escalated in the direction of his window.

His window faced the street, so the noise wasn't from downstairs. he heard arguing, but the voices were so loud and overlapping each other that he couldn't hear what they were saying. Slowly approaching his window, he took a peek down.

In the middle of the street, there was a huge crowd of people. They looked to be Seungcheol hyung's age or maybe older, Mingyu wasn't sure. Witnessing the people below, holding bottles and arguing, he started feeling scared. Little by little, the noise escalated, and it was getting to a level where it obviously would wake people. He could hear some noise coming from behind him, whispered words were exchanged but Mingyu did not turn away from the window.

"Mingyu! Step away from the window, don't look." He heard Wonwoo call to him, but Mingyu did not react. Wonwoo approached him to pull him away, but not fast enough for the next scene to happen.

The man below threw a punch. It knocked the other to the ground.

Wonwoo gasped shocked at the scene but quickly pulled Mingyu away. "I told you not to look!" He whisper yelled. Mingyu shoved his face into Wonwoo's stomach, hugging him tightly. "I'm sorry..."

The sounds once again escalated. It must have been a full on fight now. Wonwoo cursed the drunken rich kids in his heart. Lifting Mingyu up into his arms with an 'oof', Wonwoo took him to the innermost room on the second floor.

"Be good for me, stay here with Jihoon. I'll get Jeonghan hyung and your brothers." Mingyu finally noticed Jihoon and some of his brothers in the room. Running over to Jihoon, he flopped onto his lap and hugged him tight.

Making sure Mingyu was fine, Wonwoo left to get the rest of the kids. Jihoon didn't say a word, just Mingyu's back, trying his best to comfort him. He didn't know what to do either, hoping that he can rely on Wonwoo for this. Looking at the kids around him, he breathed a breath of relief that most of them slept deeply, not needing to experience this.

Once all the kids were together in the room and Jeonghan came in to checked on them, he went with Wonwoo to the first floor. Jeonghan phoned the police and the security team of this neighborhood already so all they could do was wait.

Having no choice but to listen, they could make out words like 'stop' and 'no', maybe a 'hit him' in there too. They didn't want to trust their ears but it was the reality. They prayed the children who were still sleep stayed asleep.

Wonwoo had a pained look on his face, upset that something like this could happen in their neighborhood. It was already safer than other places, but this is the second time a disturbance made it's way to their house. Jeonghan took a look outside from time to time, anxious about the situation, but there was nothing that one adult, 2 teens and children could do.

Phoning Seungcheol who was still out, Wonwoo whispered the situation in detail, hoping to have a little more support. His hands were shaking but his voice was steady.

Seungcheol regretted choosing today to finish up his work. All he wanted was to spend the weekend with the cuties with work out of the way but this just had to happen today.

He stayed on the phone with Wonwoo until he could hear the police sirens in the distance. "I'll be there soon. Don't open the door unless it's the police."

Wonwoo put away his phone and looked at the computer which displayed their security cameras view. The camera faced the driveway and couldn't record much of what was happening, but the sounds enough were terrifying. Not daring to look out the window like Jeonghan, he stayed by the computer. 

Jeonghan saw the red and blue lights flashing and people running every which way, trying to escape. This calmed him for a second, but it wasn't too long until there was banging on the door. The front door handle was twisted rapidly, the knocking sounds increased. Jeonghan's heartrate skyrocketed unhealthily, the color draining from Wonwoo's face.

Who were they? What were they trying to do? Why are they attempting to enter our house? Panic quickly settled in, his hands gripping the nearest hard object, which happened to be a decorative cup.

The banging stopped as soon as it began, the people trying the door left, but the attempt still scared the two out of their wits. Wonwoo helped Jeonghan remove the cup from his grip and replaced it with his own hands, hoping to share what little warmth they still had left.

Looking at the monitor, the police finally did their job, sweeping the streets. Judging the time between the people scattering and the police walking, Wonwoo frowned believing a lot of the people escaped. 

Several minutes later, they could see in the monitor that the police had cuffed some people and were taking statements. The police worked too slowly, leaving both Jeonghan and Wonwoo still worried about the situation. Eventually, the police knocked on the doors of every house, trying to get more information. Seeing the police officer knock on the house across, Jeonghan tried to calm himself as much as he could before they came to their door, but he didn't know what he could say. His head was drawing a blank, nobody was clear on the situation. 

Just then, Seungcheol's car drove in, catching the police's attention. Jeonghan and Wonwoo watched as Seungcheol got off his car and spoke to the police. He finished talking and quickly heading towards home, Wonwoo opening the door for him. 

Seungcheol didn't say a word, just went straight to the computer and checked the footage. There wasn't enough captured, but the sounds it recorded was undeniable. Quickly copying the files onto a portable USB, he strode back out and handed it over to the police. Answering a few more questions, the police finally moved on to the next house.

Back in the safety of their house, Seungcheol scrubbed his face in frustration. Heaving a sigh, he looked over Jeonghan and Wonwoo, checking that they were okay. Seeing nothing wrong, just a little paleness, he comforted the two and lead them upstairs.

Jeonghan stopped and turned around, looking for something. Seeing the solid wood console by the door, he quickly shoved it in front of the door for a little safety before moving to go.

Seungcheol could only feel a little more at ease when he saw the kids and Jihoon were safe and sound. Also seeing that most were fast asleep, he was even more reassured. Only when his eyes landed on Mingyu's scared eyes, his heart started hurting.

"Oh, Mingyu...." He squatted down and opened his arms, waiting for him to come over. Mingyu squished himself into his arms, face stuck to his neck. "It's okay now, honey. There's no more bad guys outside."

"Mhm." Mingyu muffled, the vibration reaching Seungcheol's neck. "Good boy, everything is okay."

Jihoon saw that Mingyu was in good hands and moved to change the positions of the children to be more comfortable. Wonwoo helped move some into the next room over, so that they could have a bit more space. They weren't going to leave the children to sleep in their own rooms, they weren't going to risk night terrors alone. Jihoon and Wonwoo staying in each room, they could feel a little more comforted.

They all hoped the children would forget what they heard, pretending it was just a dream, a passing thought.

Mingyu wasn't about to let go of Seungcheol, so he made sure everything else was okay before leaving to the baby room. Sitting on the rocking chair, Mingyu in his arms, Seungcheol hummed a random tune. 

They stayed that way until the sun rose high in the sky. Seungcheol who didn't sleep to stay with Mingyu checked and sighed when he saw Mingyu asleep, finally relaxing. Pulling his phone out, he texted the others what happened and they all responded that they'll take the day off and come over. Relieved that there would be more adults around, Seungcheol got up and brought Mingyu back to his room. Putting his precious child into bed, he checked on Jeonghan and the others, making sure someone else was awake before going back. 

Laying down next to Mingyu, Seungcheol closed his eyes to sleep. I hope you forget what happened. Even if you remember, I hope it stays a bad dream, nothing more.