28. The kids

This is the Choi Family

Joshua, Jun, and Hoshi picked up the kids from their respective day cares and schools, a van full of rambunctious kids. "Settle down kids, today, instead of Jihoon and Wonwoo taking care of you, me, Joshua and new uncle Jun will watch over you!" Hoshi cheered, shooting his 10:10 eye smile. Mingyu who was silent for the most part, tugged on his sleeve. "Where's Hoonie hyung?" No matter how hard it was, Jihoon hyung was always there for them. Mingyu began feeling nervous. Hoshi remained silent, his lying skills not the best. Joshua patted the boy's head, in a comforting manner. "Jihoon and Wonwoo are having a day off. They are doing things teenagers usually do afterschool." Mingyu pouted, giving in but not convinced. "Wonnie hyung is stealing my Jihoonie hyung away again." Hoshi thanked the lord for Joshua's save. The other kids don't seem to notice, just excited to play with them.

-------------

Jun and Hoshi met the kids for the first time that day, so Joshua took it upon himself to introduce them once they've reached home. "Hey kids, here are two new uncles. Here is Hoshi, and Jun." The children had good manners and bowed in greeting. Hoshi squealed at the display, melting with affection for the cute children. "Omo!! You cute thing~! Let this hyung buy you everything you want~! Let me spoil you rotten~!!!!!" Jun smacked his friend in the back, snickering at the exaggerated movements and expressions. 

They settled on names; Joshua's suggestion of uncle immediately shot down with lots of protests of "We're only 20 years old you 21 year old fool!!!" Joshua became Shua hyung, Hoshi stayed Hoshi hyung and Jun became Junnie hyung. Because making names short and cute is the key to children's memories. Outside of their homes, their lives are much more fast paced, aging up faster than others. Joshua sometimes forgets that his friends and himself are still starting their twenties.

They instantly click, Hoshi's childishness kept up and Jun's athletic ability kept them entertained. Joshua played with Myungho and Chan, the quieter kid and the "passive" baby. "Myungho-yah, you don't want to play with your brothers?" Myungho shook his head. "Then are you tired?" 3 year olds have never been pliant and sat still before, Joshua was a bit worried. The boy shook his head again. Mingyu who was running after Jun who had kidnapped Seungkwan and Hansol, did a fly-by and gave Myungho's head a good smooch. "He just misses Jihoonie hyung." Mingyu explained before dashing off again. Joshua nodded in understanding. "I'm sorry Myungho, Jihoonie and Wonnie are out right now, but they will be back by tomorrow." Myungho did nothing, just fiddling with the stuffed bear in his hands. Joshua sighed, not knowing how to cheer a stubborn 3 year old. Picking up Myungho and Chan, he moved to the kitchen. Setting them down in their respective high chairs, he pulled out a white jar with a pink/orange cap. Wonwoo had texted him a list of comfort foods for the children, all which should be given in moderation. This white, pink jar was in the list for the younger children. Reading the label, it was a jar of traditional Chinese maltose.

Pulling out spoons, he scooped the thick gooey goodness and handed one to each of the young ones. "Don't be sad, it's just one night. The moment you wake up, he will be back." Joshua didn't want to lie to the kid, but to settle the mood right now, it must do. Jihoon and Wonwoo most likely won't be back until tomorrow noon. Myungho was successfully distracted by the maltose, Chan happily babbling to the sweet spoon.

----------------

Dinner time, Joshua decided to go simple, cooking rice, sausages, and scrambled eggs. With a little ketchup and sprinkle some dried seaweed, a perfect meal for picky children. Mingyu was an angel, telling him where everything was located, standing guard at the door to stop the other children from disturbing the process. The children were satisfied, most eating on their own, except baby, and when they were getting full. 

Fed up with working behind the scenes, Joshua delegated Hoshi the dishes and Jun to help him bathe the children. But he soon regretted his decision, not knowing how much of a handful the children really were. Ah, I should have stuck to dishes...I don't have the energy for this....It was a literal war zone in the bathroom. Water splashed everywhere, soapy floors which weren't children-learning-to-walk friendly. "Don't move!" Jun wrestled the munchkins back into the tub, not letting them out until they were clean, Joshua mopping up the soapy floor as fast as possible. "Almost done! Hold on a little longer!" It was like playing wack-a-mole. One after the other, they went trying to escape the tub, they though it was a fun game. "Hahahaha! Look at Junnie hyung!!!" Mingyu clutched at the edge, looking at the bubble covered hyung, a silly beard with spiky hair. "I'm going to make all of you look like me!!!" Grabbing the soap suds, they splashed each other excitedly.

Only then when they were all distracted did Joshua remove the safety sign and remembered one of the warnings Wonwoo sent. It wasn't please bathe the children together, it was please DON'T bathe them together.

-------------

Bedtime, all clean babies and soft pajamas, ready to be tucked into bed. Some were tired and easy to tuck in, but the others wanted to be tucked in by Jihoon. Seungkwan bawled his eyes out, Hansol sitting next to him, also on the  verge of a flood. "Nonononono, baby please." Hoshi picked up Hansol and took him aside so Seungkwan couldn't trigger the other baby to wake. Mingyu comforted Seungkwan, but it didn't last long enough, crying twice as hard after. Jun pulled at his hair, a bit stressed and upset with the baby. At that moment, Mingyu pushed Seungkwan aside. "Mingyu!" Joshua scolded. "You can't push your brother!" "No!" Mingyu swatted Joshua's hand away. 

Grabbing Seungkwan by the shoulders with his small hands, he shook him vigorously. The adults looked on completely mortified. They were ready to rip Mingyu off his little brother when they caught his next words. "Boo Seungkwan!! You can't cry like this right now!!!" Seungkwan looked at his hyung, frightened, but stopped crying. Pulling Seungkwan to lie down, Mingyu got in next to him. "You promised Jihoon hyung that you were a big boy now, that you wouldn't cry for hugs and kisses before bed." Mingyu pulled Seungkwan into his embrace. "It's okay, I won't tell Hoonie hyung. It will be our secret. I know you miss him, but the sooner we fall asleep the sooner we'll see Hoonie hyung." Seungkwan scrubbed the rest of the tears from his face and clutched Mingyu close. "That's right baby, Mingyu hyung will take good care of you, no more crying." Thank goodness Jihoon and Seungkwan made this promise before.

Jun, Joshua, and Hoshi witnessing this have new found respect for Mingyu. It turns out Mingyu is a lovely bumbling puppy when happy and a cool,calm and collected older brother when serious.