11. In the hospital, Seungcheol has many thoughts

This is the Choi Family

It was late at night, maybe it was early in the morning? Seungcheol didn't bother to check the time. Sat on the couch by the window, he looked out then back at Jihoon, sighing. In this harsh world, where people judge before anything, Jihoon is working hard to take care of his siblings. He still doesn't understand his parents, he can't even understand himself. It's kind of like thinking about life, something that doesn't have answers, just coping with one of its many possibilities. Combing his hair back with his fingers, Seungcheol shifted in his seat. Jihoon had fallen asleep watching over Chan. He worried. If he wasn't here, Chan might have been late to the hospital, in critical condition. He worried, there wasn't an adult to help the kids at home at all times. He worried, him being there wasn't enough. Jihoon, although he is very capable of taking care of the children, is not an adult. Staring at Jihoon from his seat, Seungcheol sighed again. Grabbing the blanket at the end of the couch, he draped it over Jihoon's shoulders. Checking on Chan and Jihoon one more time, he left for the rooftops. 

-------------

Sometimes Seungcheol can't sleep, with too many thoughts in his head. And tonight was one of those nights. Breathing in the cold air of the night, he leaned on the rail that oversaw the bustling city. In his brain, millions of thoughts cycled through. His company, how were the staff? What was planned for this week? Was Soonyoung practicing at this hour? ...Did he have to get married to Yoon Jeonghan? Could... he risk his company? Did Joshua hate him? If Joshua didn't like this, would he forgive him for not fighting his parents? Did he have what it took to start all over again? He closed his eyes and dropped his head. Forget that stuff. Those can be answered later. Looking at his hands, he flexed his fingers. What can he protect with these hands? What could he do right now? His parents made things hard already, controlling his this and that. Seungcheol cleaned up their messes for them, the scapegoat in most cases. Now his parents drop 7 kids into his family, he didn't know what to think. If he really wanted to, he could leave them alone, like his parents want him to. Less responsibility. But it's because his parents want him away from them that he wants to stick to them. This idea rolled around in his head. Defying his parents, he scoffed, he can count the number of times hes done so on one hand.

Although it was awkward as hell learning about having siblings from a friend and from the news, meeting the children wasn't bad. Although he doesn't know them well enough, the past few visits were pleasant. He enjoyed playing with the kids, he enjoyed thinking about seeing them. He liked the idea of visiting them after work, they made his day. It hasn't been long since they first met, but the kids felt like... family. A small smile grew on his face. Family. Something he really wanted. Something he really needed. He wanted a family, and the kids are beginning to making it happen. Yes, this is what he wants, this is something his parents couldn't change about him. Something of his own, like his passion for music. With that in mind, he made a resolution. Along with the new additions to his life, even if he couldn't protect many things with his large but small hands, his tall and lean body yet one of billions, he was going to protect his family. From his parents, from the dangers of this world. Satisfied, he finished sorting his thoughts. Returning back to Chan's room, he slouched back on his seat and leaned back, quickly felling asleep with a warm heart. Problems meant to be solved in the future will resolve themselves when the time is right. Now, the present, let's keep the family happy and safe. Loved too.

-------------

The next morning, Chan was released and Seungcheol drove them home. Unlocking the front door, the quietly slipped in. Jihoon quickly went upstairs to put sleeping Chan in his crib. Seungcheol went to the living room and froze. Before him, was a massacre of toys and food stains. There was even an arm sticking out under a pillow! Hurrying over and quickly pushing the pillows out of the way, he dug the person out. Looking closely at the person, he only realized after awhile that it was his dear cousin and best friend. 

"Joshua!" 

Pulling his cousin up, he dusted him off. Joshua was completely messed up. His hair was unruly, there was marks on his face most likely from the markers on the floor near him, his shirt had some questionable white stuff? Sniff... ah baby formula.

"...Seungcheol? You're back..." Joshua rasped. Rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, he sat up properly. 

"Dude, what happened here? What is this mess?" Joshua sighed as his head rolled back on the couch. Massaging his arms, he groaned in pain. 

"You have no idea. The kids were out of control after you guys left. Mingyu was relatively okay, coping without Jihoonie, but the other kids were not okay." 

He gestured to the toys on the ground, pushing them around with his feet. 

"The kids threw tantrums and tossed about everything they could get their hands on. Seungkwan just cried and cried. Wonwoo was busy trying calm him down. Hansol and Seokmin began arguing, well more like Seokmin yelling and Hansol babbling, who missed Jihoon more. The scariest was Myungho. He just sat there with a blank face, tears rolling down his face silently." 

Seungcheol sat there wide-eyed, jaw dropped, at the story he just heard. Jihoon is a really big figure in their lives, Seungcheol just didn't understand the extent of it. He placed a hand on his fellow soldier and sighed proudly. 

"Good job holding the fort. You should go clean yourself up and maybe take a nap." He gave one more pat on Joshua's shoulder before ushering him to the bathroom. 

"You should really wash that baby milk off your skin." He added, knowing Joshua was too tired to notice. 

"....right." 

After making sure Joshua was okay in the bathroom, Seungcheol began cleaning the living room. He had no idea where the toys went, but he sorted them out and pushed them off to the side. Wiping off the coffee table and the plastic mat on the ground, he figured Joshua and Wonwoo were trying to calm the kids with tv + dinner. The outcome, clearly displayed on the floor. it up, he remembered his new goal. He's going to protect and love his family, and if cleaning up the mess was going to be part of the process, he will do it and do it again if he had to. 

Jihoon went to check on the other kids after he put Chan in his crib. Walking into Seungkwan and Hansol's room, he noticed they've turned 180 degrees in their sleep. Unwinding their blankets and tucking them in properly, he left them with a kiss. Entering Mingyu and his' room, he found Wonwoo sleeping on the floor. Brushing Mingyu's hair out of his face, he left a soft kiss on his forehead. Squatting down, he poked and prodded Wonwoo's cheek in an attempt to wake him up. 

"Hyung...hyung..." he whispered. 

"wake up..... hyung...." After a little more poking and prodding, Wonwoo finally woke up with a groan. Looking around, he realized he fell asleep on the floor. He swiped the books on him off to the side. Judging by the number of books laying around, Wonwoo must of had to read a lot.

"I must of passed out after reading Mingyu to sleep...." he mumbled. Jihoon helped him up and brought him to his own bed a few steps away. 

"Sleep more h-here..." He pushed Wonwoo onto his bed and tucked him in. 

"See you later Hoonie..." Jihoon nodded and let him sleep more, leaving a kiss on his hair. Checking on Seokmin and Myungho's room last, he was relieved to find them all still sleeping peacefully. Returning downstairs to the living room, he found Seungcheol cleaning up. 

"H-hyung." Seungcheol whipped his around alert. Grabbing the plastic bin on the side, Jihoon began putting the hard plastic toys into the bin. "W-wash them lat-ter." Seungcheol nodded and followed suit. Grabbing all the stuffed animals into his arms, Jihoon took them to be laundered. Seungcheol got to work washing the plastic building blocks and toys.

Finish cleaning the living room with one last mop, the living room was back in order. Seungcheol collapsed on couch with a flop. 

"Oh ma gawd. That took forever." 

Jihoon gave him a cup of water and sat next to him silently. Resting up in a comfortable silence, Seungcheol breathed in sweet air. 

"B-breakf-fast?" Jihoon said carefully. Seungcheol nodded. 

"Right. Breakfast. What are we making?" Getting up off the couch, Seungcheol walked over to the kitchen, rolling up his sleeves. Jihoon got up and followed him, fidgeting along the way. 

"W-what do y-you want?" Seungcheol smiled. Jihoon wants to make him breakfast? 

Cute. Seungcheol did his very best to hold his uwu in, it almost jumped out.

"Anything fast will do. It's almost 9 am." Jihoon nodded and moved to the fridge. 

"S-scramb-bled eggs an-and ham." 

"Aye chef." They worked together in the kitchen, preparing breakfast for the children.