19. Shopping with Mingyu

This is the Choi Family

Friday night, Seungcheol's large van was parked on the driveway and he was helping the children put their luggage in the trunk. He had invited Joshua to join them, but he excused himself saying he was busy and tired. Seungcheol jokingly told him not to empty out his fridge and to relax before bidding goodbye. He knew about Joshua meeting Jeonghan in the park, and he knew his bro just needed a little space. He worried for his best friend but the only thing he can do right now is show him that he is there for him. Shutting the trunk, he helped Jihoon strap in the children. Wonwoo was checking off a list of things to bring, worrying about this and that. 

"We don't need to bring fever reducer yea? Actually no, we should. What if the children suddenly get sick?! I'll be back!!!" Before Wonwoo could dash back to the house, Seungcheol grabbed him by the back of his shirt and shoved him in the car. 

"If there ever is an emergency, we can just go to the hospital or buy medicine. I have a car and money, no problem." Wonwoo sighed and nodded but he was still a bit unsure about taking all the children out. There was only Jihoon, Seungcheol and himself to watch 6 children. Not noticing Wonwoo's panic, Jihoon had buckled himself in, eyes sparkling in excitement. 

"Hyung, hyung!!" He called, tugging on Wonwoo's sleeve. "Trip!!!" He gave him his biggest smile, instantly melting all Wonwoo's worries away. "That's right, Jihoon!" He chirped, sending his best smile back. 

"We are going on a trip! We are going to have a lot of fun!" Seungcheol chuckled at the cute interactions behind him, a little jealous he couldn't participate. Sighing, he focused on driving and the trip ahead of them. "First stop! Beach house!" The children cheered after him. They sang along with the radio, Jihoon clapping along, Wonwoo conducting the children.

By the time they arrived at the sea side beach house, the children and Jihoon had all fallen asleep. Seungcheol checked them in and had the staff bring all the luggage up to the bedrooms. Moving the children in strollers, Jihoon was placed on Seungcheol's back. The home was basically a large apartment; it had 2 large rooms with massive beds, a large kitchen, a large living room, a large balcony, large everything. Settling all the children in one room, all wrapped in blankets like tuna, the 3 'adults' and baby Chan stayed in the other room.

-------------

It was early next morning when Seungcheol woke up. Glancing at the clock on the wall across, it was 7 am. It was the weekend so the children were still in bed. Eyes rolling around the room, his gaze landed on Jihoon and Wonwoo. Wonwoo had one arm under Jihoon's head and another on Jihoon's waist, a slightly protective gesture. Jihoon was curled up, face shoved into Wonwoo's chest, hands Wonwoo's shirt. Brushing the hair out of Jihoon's face, Seungcheol sighed. Jihoon was so precious. The way he slept reminded him of the way baby Chan slept; all curled up in himself, hands clenched in fists or in his mouth. The way Wonwoo sticks to Jihoon's side made Seungcheol re-evaluate him. He had thought Wonwoo was just a friend who understood Jihoon, a person who didn't mind the other's shortcomings and loved children. Now he knew that Wonwoo cares for Jihoon and his family like a brother. He frets about them, takes good care of them, helps them whenever he can, scolds them if he needs to. He treats Jihoon with utmost care. Stepping out of the room after checking up on baby Chan, he walked to the children's room and found Mingyu up. 

"Hey buddy," he whispered, "how did you sleep?" Mingyu's head lolled, sleep still clouding his mind. "Mmm." he mumbled. "Still sleepy?" Seungcheol sat on the bed next to Mingyu, combing Mingyu's hair with his fingers. Mingyu shook his head no. "Not sleepy." Seungcheol smiled. Mingyu was too cute. 

The sleep was evident in his whole being, fabric lines on the side of his face making him even more endearing, but he refused to go back to sleep. Probably should invest in silk sheets. "Then do you want to go buy breakfast with me?" Mingyu's eyes opened more, his double eyelids evident. Nodding his head, his hair flopped with the motion. "Okay, let's get dressed then." Mingyu rolled out of bed and crawled on the floor, grabbing his bag out of his other siblings. "I'll wait outside." Nodding in affirmation, Seungcheol went to get ready.

Walking in the food court in the nearby mall, Seungcheol held Mingyu's hand. "What would your siblings like for breakfast?" Seungcheol asked, looking down on his (not so) short companion. Mingyu swung their hands as he thought. "Well, Seungkwanie and Hansolie love it when Hoonie hyung makes pancakes. They both have a sweet tooth." Leading Mingyu to a pancake stall, they order some fruity and sweet pancakes to-go. 

"And Seokmin and Myungho?" Mingyu skips over to the menu, looking at the colorful pictures. "They like crunchy breakfasts, like cereal or toast." Ordering French toasts and throwing some cereal boxes in the basket, they continued to go around all the stalls. 

"Baby Channie usually gets milk for breakfast, but Hoonie hyung started giving him baby food. Maybe a banana?" Seungcheol handed him a banana. He took the banana and set in on a table. Curious to what Mingyu was doing, Seungcheol waited. Mingyu grabbed his favorite marker, the one he carries around everywhere around his neck, and write in neat letters, 'Chan banana'. 'Cute.' Thought Seungcheol. The banana was placed into the basket. "Now what would you like to eat?" Mingyu shook his head. "Cheollie hyung. There's still Jihoonie hyung, Wonie hyung and you." Seungcheol was stunned. He didn't know that Mingyu could be so mature. 

He thought Mingyu was like the other kids his age, asking for things like toys or chocolate. Wanting things for himself, being a 'kid'. He knew Mingyu had more responsibilities since he was the next oldest in his household, taking care of those younger than him from time to time. Seungcheol smiled silently and nodded, telling Mingyu to go pick out their menu. Mingyu was very caring, he was very sweet. He had a big heart and he wants to help others. Seungcheol felt a bit sad, maybe a bit of pity for the small boy, since he had to grow up faster, having less time to be as carefree. Same with Jihoon. Jihoon had to do things others his age didn't have to do while struggling with his own setbacks. 

"What did you pick for your hyungs?" Patting Mingyu's hair, he squatted down to his height, gazing at the menu his small hands held. "Jihoonie hyung often makes eggs and ham. Wonwoo hyung isn't a picky eater, eating anything Jihoonie hyung makes. Well except for seafood." They ordered some omelets when Mingyu turned to Seungcheol. "Cheollie hyung. What kinds of foods do you like for breakfast?" 

Recounting his memories, Seungcheol hyung had only stayed over a couple times, eating whatever Jihoon had cooked for the day. "Well, I'm also not a picky eater, I usually don't eat breakfast." Mingyu tsked and wagged his finger left and right. "Hyung, you need 3 meals a day to lead a healthy diet. Let's order you an omelet too." Staring in awe at the strong little kid before him, he felt a little proud. He was his little brother, and Jihoon had taught him well. "Thank you, Mingyu. I'll have breakfast from now on."

When they returned, all of them were up, watching some cartoons on tv. Wonwoo helped Seungcheol move the plastic bags to the kitchen before yelling for the kids to come eat breakfast. "Thanks, hyung. Thanks, Mingoo." He pinched Mingyu's cute cheeks and patted his bum before helping the others to their seats. Mingyu pulled out sets of meals one by one and placed them in front of their respective tastes. "Hyungie brought you all you favorites. Seungcheol hyung said that these are all for you." Jihoon patted his hair in praise, Mingyu's face tinting pink and a small smile graced his lips. The pancakes were cut into small pieces for the toddlers to practice using a fork, the toast was coated in honey and butter so Myungho and Seokmin ended up eating with their hands. Baby Chan gnawed on his fresh food feeder, eating up his banana quickly. Having a hearty meal, Seungcheol smiled at the happy children. It felt like a complete family, even though his parents were out of the scene. 'This is the life I want to live.' He thought. A complete, happy, family to spend forever with.