117. History time

This is the Choi Family

Let me tell you a story.

Boo Yooyoung and I, Kim Jiseob, were happily married in the early days. Our married life was pretty normal I think. We didn't have any problems between us; my work life was normal, she also pursued her dream. It started changing the second year of our marriage.

My mother never really approved of my marriage to Yooyoung. She thought Yooyoung was scheming and evil, and I tried convincing her. In the end, if I am with Yooyoung, my mother won't do anything, but if she catches her alone, she turns harsh. I always told my wife to not listen to her and tried to keep them apart, but Yooyoung insisted on meeting her on special dates all because that was my mother.

We had a period of peace I guess, until my cousins and her friend's children all got grandchildren. My mother hurried us for grandchildren. She wasn't mean to my wife anymore, she even acted nice. It was kind of disturbing but it was still better than before. Too bad we couldn't have children. When we realized that it was odd than she couldn't get pregnant, we went together to get health check ups. The reason why we couldn't have children fell on me, I just naturally didn't have healthy... you know. My mother didn't believe in the reports and blamed my wife. Yooyoung was again yelled at, I tried my best to keep them apart, but I guess Yooyoung wanted a child too. 

When looking through the options for artificial, we overheard a conversation in the hospital. A woman was asking about how to set their unborn child up for adoption. She appeared very young, her stomach round, baby almost here. Yooyoung immediately went over and spoke to them. She learned that this young woman couldn't afford to raise a child by herself, that she was alone. Yooyoung had looked at me, locked eyes and all, and I instantly understood. We were going to adopt that child.

Every few days from then, Yooyoung and I would visit the mother to get familiar with both mother and unborn child. And maybe someone told my mother about it. She threw a fit the first time we went over after completing the process. We left as soon as we came, I didn't want Yooyoung to hear anymore of my mother's words. 

Even if Yooyoung wanted to appreciate my mother, I stopped the two from meeting until Yooyoung left. Anyways, back to the timeline. The mother gave birth, Seungkwan was a bit underweight so he was to stay in the hospital until a proper check up was done. Every day my wife and I went to the hospital, looking at him beyond the glass.

Until one day, I returned home and saw my wife crying. Something had happened, and I still don't know exactly what. The next day, she was off on a business trip so I went to visit Seungkwan by myself. 

He was gone.

The nurse said the mother was holding him and out for a short walk, but I searched the whole hospital and waited a long time. She was gone, along with Seungkwan. 

When I told Yooyoung about this, she was upset and depressed, but she wasn't as bad as I thought so I was relieved. Life went on, we forgot about having a child, though I still looked for Seungkwan on the side. My mother also seemed appeased that we didn't ended up adopting, so we lived well for a while. It wasn't until Yooyoung's health started deteriorating. 

She was falling ill too easily, and the doctor told me it was depression. 

I learned about this much later, but my mother and wife were in contact the whole time. She had done something, but neither told me anything. There's a lot of family conflict involved in this, and I'm sure you can imagine how it was, but to protect Yooyoung, and by her choice, we divorced.

She is now living a better life working abroad. And I married another woman to appease my mother. 

I wish I had the strength to stand up to my mother, but I'm too much of a coward.

Ahem- anyways, I didn't know the whereabouts of Seungkwan until the news hit that children were getting adopted into the Choi household. I saw a picture of him online and was sure it was him, but I didn't want to see him as I had no right to, not until now though.

I came to see him because Yooyoung asked me to. Her cousin has become a nuisance and doing unnecessary things. And yes, Yooyoung and I have been keeping in contact. She would like for me to keep Seungkwan safe.

----------------

After listening to Kim Jiseob's story, Seungcheol felt a bit of sympathy for the older man but he had to first check.

"I can't trust you because of my on family circumstances so you won't be able to see Seungkwan today. I have a famous fact checker on my side, so until I confirm your identity, I'm sorry but you will have to wait." Seungcheol said.

Kim Jiseob nodded in understanding. "Of course, I'm just a stranger claiming things, you can have all the time you need."

Jeonghan also sympathized with the man, having no good parents at all. Feeling that Jiseob's feelings were genuine, he nudged Seungcheol. Seungcheol ignored him knowing what Jeonghan wanted to do.

"Then, I'll contact you some time in the future."

"Yes, please do."

Seungcheol went to see him out the door and the man was already halfway down the driveway when a shout was heard. "Wait!"

Jihoon was carrying Seungkwan in his arms, standing at the doorway. Helping Seungkwan wave lightly. "Say bye bye baby." He whispered.

Seungkwan being the obediently cute child he is, listened and repeated. "Bye bye!"

Jiseob froze in place, staring at the lovely child. "Oh, right, bye bye." He waved slowly and turned around. He stood for a while before leaving resolutely.

------------------

Merry Christmas!