68. Ummm

This is the Choi Family

In a house full of easily excitable young children, a single adult suffers in silence.

"Please... lets take a nap....let me take a nap too..." Joshua was once again left alone with the children on a Sunday afternoon, while Seungcheol was out with both Wonwoo and Jihoon. They were at the hospital for a check up; Wonwoo to check his cast, Jihoon for consultation.

"You guys! Listen to me!" Mingyu shouted. He was stood on top of the couch, a blanket tied around his neck as a makeshift cape. "This hero is here to hunt all the bad children who don't take naps! Roaaarrr!!!" Running after the children, he corralled children onto the mat prepared for nap-time. 

He must be an angel in the form of a child~. Hands clasped together, if the children weren't before him, Joshua would have gotten onto his knees out of gratitude. "You save me every time, thank you Mingyu." Mingyu waved his hand as if to say 'it's nothing.' "They usually aren't this crazy, is it because Jihoonie hyung isn't here?" Mingyu asked with a tilt of his head. 

"It could be," Joshua sighed out. "Anyways! Children, do you want a nap-time story or a lullaby?" Most of them shouted lullaby, baby Chan just cheered along. "Now now, it's nap.time. Quiet down, let me tuck you in and then I'll sing you a lullaby."

Tucking their blankets up to their chins, they all fidgeted with restlessness, waiting for their lullaby. Joshua chuckled at their expectant looks. "You really want a lullaby that much?" he teased. "Can you guess what song I'm going to sing~?"

"..."

"..."

"...Sunday Morning...?" Mingyu asked.

"How did you know~?" The smirk on Joshua's face continued to grow.

"It's cuz you always sing that oneeee...." Seokmin whined. 

"Naaah! I have a good reason for it today! Today is Sunday, the weather is so-so, and although it's not morning anymore, it's always a good time for this song~!"

The children rolled around a little more, grumbling about the song selection, but as soon as he started, they settled down.

"Sunday morning, rain is falling...
Steal some covers, share some skin....."

It didn't take long for many of them to fall asleep, only stubborn ones who won't close their eyes were left. Patting their stomach in a slow and soothing way, he continued.

"Singing, someday it'll bring me back to you...
Find a way to bring myself back home to you..."

He couldn't help but think of Jun who ran away. Jun was here to find something and he wasn't going to stay, but ever since he learned of Myungho's existence, he was thinking of staying here. Then he learned of the truth and left in a hurry.

As he hummed the end of the song, he could see that Myungho was the last one awake, still on his stomach, holding his torso up on his arms looking straight at him. 

"Come here, can't sleep?" He waited for Myungho to crawl close enough before pulling him up into his arms and laying down on the couch. "It's okay, I'll be right here with you." Joshua had a feeling that Myungho had gotten attached to Jun's coddling, and now that Jun is gone, he must feel a little lost. Ah, but Myungho is but a child, he couldn't possibly feel that deeply. It must be because Jihoon isn't here.

Patting Myungho's back as he laid on his chest, he hummed another tune, this time it wasn't Sunday Morning, it was Simple by Woozi.

--------------

"Mhm? Why are you here Hoshi?" Seungcheol asked. When they arrived, Hoshi was waiting at the entrance of the hospital. Wonwoo and Jihoon greeted him and they went in together.

"Nah, I'm just leaving the baby-sitting to Joshua. Running from my duties, hehehe." Taking that excuse, Seungcheol ushered them all over to the waiting area before leaving to tell the receptionist. Hoshi sat with the two, the air was kind of awkward. Or was it just me? Hoshi shook his head of his thoughts. "Sooooooo....hehe.." The most awkward conversation starter! "What's up Hoshi hyung?" Wonwoo asked while muffling his giggles. Least he found it funny. "Ah, it's nothing. Sorry for tagging along, I'm just avoiding duties...hehe..."

"It's okay, I don't mind." Jihoon tugged Wonwoo's sleeve. "Ah, and Jihoonie doesn't mind either."

Hoshi felt a little better. "Then, let me be even more awkward and ask some more awkward questions~. What's going to happen to your schooling?"

"Mmmm, Seungcheol hyung gave us the option of quitting school and getting a home tutor or to keep going after we are cleared."

"And what did you choose?"

"Both me and Jihoon want to just stick it out, there's only a couple more months before graduation, and we've already come so far. Might as well get a diploma like everyone else."

Hoshi hummed in understanding. "Mhm, I'd totally prefer a diploma over a privileged GED."

Wonwoo and Hoshi engaged in casual conversation while Jihoon stared off into space. But inside his head wasn't as quiet as his outwards appearance.

Are the kids okay at home? Maybe I should call and check. Ah, but Wonwoo hyung told me to visit the doctor, and told me to obediently listen to the doctor. Did Chan get his diaper changed yet? He usually needs a new one before bed. Did Joshua hyung forget to do something? Did Mingyu listen well to Joshua hyung?

His worries were making him fidget in place, his fingers began picking at his sleeve, but his eyes stayed out of focus, staring no where in particular. Wonwoo was about to stop his behavior when Seungcheol came back and stopped him. "Let's observe a little, the doctor was interested in how he behaves."

All now watching Jihoon with rapt attention, Jihoon was still oblivious and continued to fidget. 

His fingers moved from picking at his sleeve to pinching the little skin between his forefinger and thumb. Whatever he was thinking, it must of took a turn because he immediately stopped whatever he was doing. Looking around, he saw Seungcheol, Hoshi and Wonwoo watching. "Mu...? W-w-what is it?"

"Ah. It's nothing~!" Hoshi waved his hands. 

"Mister, Jeon Wonwoo and Lee Jihoon?" A nurse called. "That's us! Let's go."