108. Story time

This is the Choi Family

Finding Wonwoo and Jihoon with the kids in the baby room, the children were all playing cheerfully. Letting the 2 know that the woman was gone, they led the children back into the living room. 

Standing in the corridor where they could still watch the children as they spoke, Jeonghan and Hoshi got to business. 

"Who was that woman?" Jeonghan asked straightforwardly. 

Jihoon looked to Wonwoo once, but decided to explain himself. "S-she is S-seungkwan's relative..." He didn't say mother. Hoshi took a glance at Wonwoo who was watching Jihoon.

"Then she's not Seungkwan's mother?" They had to get to the bottom of this, there's too much they didn't know despite knowing a lot. It wouldn't be wise to fight without a plan when necessary.

Wonwoo spoke this time. "No, she most likely isn't. From what Jihoon has told me, this woman came in the early days trying to gain custody of Seungkwan using his mother's name." Seeing as Wonwoo was giving them information slowly, that woman didn't just come and go that simply.

"She's most likely someone from his mother's side, but Jihoon and the people at the orphanage don't really know either."

"Why did she want Seungkwan?" Hoshi asked next. 

"I'm not sure..." Wonwoo replied, looking at Jihoon for some help.

Jihoon frowned and twisted his hands together, apparently distressed over the topic. "S-seungkwan's dad....is someone r-rich..."

Jun's papers did not say this. Did it even say who the dad was? It probably didn't. 

"B-but!! I-it's just a rumor..." Jihoon added afterwards. 

The story went like this. 
Seungkwan was brought in not long after his birth, by his mother. She left a message with his name and birthday, saying that she was sorry that she couldn't raise him on her own. It was pretty common at orphanages, for parents to not even go through the paperwork of giving their child to these places. Maybe a week later, when Seungkwan had already been placed in Jihoon's care, a woman came asking for Seungkwan. She claimed she was his birth mother, but couldn't prove it. Of course, the orphanage would have loved to give Seungkwan to someone who was willing to raise a child, but the orphanage had some moral character.

Why did this woman want Seungkwan specifically? What if she wasn't Seungkwan's mother? From the message, she was resolute in giving Seungkwan a different life. Why the change of heart? Looking at this woman, they asked again and again for identification or allow them for a DNA test, but she refused and insisted. From her insistent behavior, the orphanage deemed her unfit to adopt a child, especially since she had no identity. 

She tried multiple times, stopping different caretakers out in the yard, asking to see Seungkwan, but she already became famous among the workers. In the end, Seungkwan stayed in Jihoon's care and eventually got adopted by Seungcheol's parents. That woman only came in the beginning, and never again after. The caretakers always gossip without restraint, which is where the rumor that she was related to Seungkwan somehow got to Jihoon's ears and eventually Wonwoo's ears.

Hearing the story, Jeonghan and Hoshi frowned. "Then what about the rich dad part?" Hoshi asked the unanswered question.

Jihoon answered slowly. "Search B-boo Yooyoung on the i-internet. There's one a-article on h-her."

Following Jihoon's words, Hoshi pulled out his phone and searched the name. Like Jihoon said, there was only one tabloid from a news source that seemed credible about her. 

The title of the tabloid was 'Mr. Kim and his wife don't get along?', a picture of said Mr. Kim on the cover. In the article, the wife mentioned was named Boo Yooyoung. It didn't have much information, just that the relationship between the couple wasn't good. Looking up this Mr. Kim, he seems to be a nouveau riche, starting his own company. Written on his public profile was his family situation. Reading the names of the wife and children, the name Boo Yooyoung did not exist. So then what was that tabloid? An ex-wife? There seems to be someone like that, but all records of this woman was wiped clean.

"It took only this to make that rumor?" Hoshi said in disbelief. The tabloid wasn't professional, there wasn't evidence only conjectures. But just because the name mentioned was the same as the other lady was yelling at their doors, this rumor came to be. 

"Well, when I have the time, I'll have Seungcheol hyung and Jun look into this." Hoshi put away his phone and looked back at the children playing without a care in the world.

Jeonghan didn't contribute anything, knowing that he couldn't help much. "Let's just hope this isn't some crazy forewarning for something bigger." He said, remembering his own situation.

Jeonghan pieced the story together, coming to the same conclusion as Hoshi. Even without things said out loud, they knew that that woman doesn't have good intentions towards Seungkwan.

If she want's to leverage Seungkwan for money or power from this said father, Seungkwan's life would be miserable. Feeling the pain that Seungkwan might have to go through, Jeonghan was resolute in keeping him away from her. Feeling that this wasn't the end of it, Hoshi was in a hurry to tell Seungcheol.

"Guys, I'll be back in a few. I just feel like this is more urgent than I thought. I'll be going to find Seungcheol hyung, and the two of us will be back in time for dinner." With that said, Hoshi left. 

"As far as we are concerned, Seungkwan is just our brother. He belongs with us, and to no one else." Wonwoo said, comforting Jihoon with a side hug.

"Ungh."

Watching the two wander into the living room to play with the children, Jeonghan felt powerless. He didn't have a particularly good family either, and he didn't know exactly how to comfort children. Feeling the negative emotions inside escaping his body a little, he turned and left for his room, hoping to not affect the others with his own mood. He acted fine when confronting the guest and talking with Jihoon and Wonwoo, but the truth is, the woman only brought terrible memories.

Like his own mother. Who did nothing but watch. She calls him son all lovingly, but what does she truly think?