29. Jun

This is the Choi Family

The next morning was just as hectic as bedtime, but it was easier to distract them with going to daycare and meeting their friends. Once the little ones have made it to daycare with minimal fuss, Joshua took it upon himself to bring Mingyu to elementary school while the other two returned home to clean the breakfast mess. 

"So Mingyu, what do you love to do at school?" Mingyu hummed as he skipped, holding Joshua's bigger hand tightly. "I like reading. I like the stories of happily ever after." Joshua nodded, remembering when he loved playing prince charming with his friends. Those shildhood days, they were so full of happiness, while they lasted. 

"Where everyone lived happily ever after, right?" Mingyu nodded. "Hyung, do you believe in happy ever afters?" He kicked a pebble on the road. "Does love always end in happy ever after?" Joshua hummed, unsure of how to answer. 

"Well, I can't say it will always end in happy ever after, there's always a story that follows after being happy, that it feels like forever but maybe they won't be happy. The end game depends on you, I guess." He remembered his own messed up love story. He loved...no, loves Jeonghan but he was betrayed. He wants to have a superhero front and say he doesn't need him, that he's getting revenge, but none of it makes him happy. It lingers, the hole Jeonghan has caused in his heart.

"It's like life isn't it? You have to work for happiness." Mingyu mused as they neared the gates. Joshua though over his words, realizing the topic was probably too deep for Mingyu to understand. But as he was about to rescind he words and make up some fantasy future that he wanted for himself, Mingyu spoke first. 

"Hmm, that's very true. In order to make my Jihoonie hyung happy, I first need to work hard and grow up well." Mingyu amazes Joshua time and time again, with his mature mind. He smiles softly and pats Mingyu's hair. "You'll grow up to be a fine young man." Mingyu nodded. "I'm going to grow up real nice and make Jihoonie hyung proud!" 

Joshua watched Mingyu until he disappeared inside. Walking back home, he contemplated Mingyu's question. Did he believe in happily ever after? Probably not. His love life wasn't going too well, still hung on the last. It's like life isn't it? In some ways it was right, that takes effort to love as much as others love to receive it. 

-------------

Joshua arrived home to see Jun and Hoshi bickering in the kitchen over who stands where by the sink as they wash the dishes.

"Scooch your big tush over! If you keep squishing me over, the water's not only going in the sink!"

"Is that a threat, Kwon Soonyoung? I'm older than you!"

"You want to use the age card huh?! Well you're just 5 days older than me!" Hoshi slammed his hip into Jun's, making room for himself. 

"You brat!" Jun retaliated by grabbing a handful of suds. Just as he was about to smash the suds into Hoshi's face, Joshua cleared his throat; the two immediately froze. 

"Children, is there a problem?" Joshua asked, the sweetness in his voice causing cavities. The two shook their heads simultaneously, nudging each other. 

"Oh, no hyung. we're just having a little fun."

"Y-yeah. Some fun. We aren't making a-a mess." 

Since Joshua didn't say anything, just silently staring at them, Jun added a quiet, "We promise."

Joshua only shook his head at his younger friends antics. "Children will stay children. Finish the dishes, didn't Jun have something to say the other night? Or was it the other day?"

Jun nodded, moving his hands again, handing the soapy dishes to Hoshi to clean. "Yeah, I have some info on the Yoon Family and something I want to tell you guys." They worked efficiently under Joshua's watchful eyes.

------------

Each nursing a cup of warm fresh brewed coffee, they sat in the living room. "Since Seungcheol isn't here yet, I'll hold off on the Yoon family. The thing I wanted to tell you, you can't tell anyone else." Once that processed in Hoshi's head the first thing that came out of his mouth was, "You aren't doing something illegal are you?" Joshua smacked him upside the head. "Be a little sensitive." Settling down again, Hoshi reconsidered his words. "What's going on?"

Jun ran his index finger over the lip of his mug, putting his thoughts together. "Remember I told you about my family?" The two nodded. From what they know, Jun's family consists of mom, dad, Jun and his little brother that Jun doesn't like to talk about. "The truth is I also had a sister. She was disowned some several years ago." The atmosphere was heavy, Hoshi finally had nothing to say, eyes watching Jun carefully. Joshua put a hand on Jun's thigh in comfort. "Everything will be okay." Jun nodded, but the comforting words went in one ear and out the other. 

"That sister fell in love with a gangster, that's why she was disowned. She was suppose to marry some rich kid back in China, but she ran off with that boyfriend and the next day the papers were done." Taking a sip of his coffee, he leaned back, releasing some tension in his shoulders. His face showed concern and an underlying pain. The two figured the sister must of been really close to Jun before she left. 

"About a month ago, I found her again, she contacted me first, and I was desperate to see how she was doing. But when I got to where she should have been, she was already gone." 

"Gone? She ran off again?" Hoshi asked. Jun shook his head. "She's no longer with us. All that was left was a letter addressed for me." Hoshi took a sharp breath, compassion causing him pain as well. Joshua put down his mug and and held Jun in a half hug. "Oh, no. I'm so sorry." Jun hummed in acknowledgement. Jun let one tear fall, the rest he held in as hard as he could. 

"That letter, I almost didn't want to open it. Since that would mean that she is really gone. I opened it a week ago, to curious about what she wrote for me. She was doing fine, all those years. Then, her boyfriend got into bad business and they were on the run. His gang wanted him as a scapegoat. She was suffering along that bastard." He paused, a little anger flickered though his eyes. "But she said she was fine with it. The last part hurt me the most. While they were on the run, she managed to get pregnant. She had the baby." Joshua couldn't hold back his question. "Where's the baby?" "She smuggled the baby onto a boat to Korea and abandoned the poor thing. The baby, the little boy is somewhere in Korea." 

"Is that why you're here? To find the baby?" Hoshi asked. He nodded. "Even though she left me for that gangster, she was happy. Their baby has no faults, but that's the last thing she has left for me. She wants me to find her baby boy."