37. What else is needed to be a good brother?

This is the Choi Family

Seungcheol had to make a trip back to the hospital to fill out missing information on Jihoon's record when he bumped into Wonwoo's parents. Jihoon and Wonwoo were coming from school so he was here facing the woman himself. Unlike the first time they met, the woman had on a serene look. She looks like she has a happy family. Seungcheol thought sarcastically. It didn't take long for her wandering eyes to catch his staring ones.

"Oh! Aren't you the fellow that was with my Wonwoo that day?" Fake. Seungcheol didn't hear everything from Wonwoo but he heard enough to conclude that Wonwoo wasn't living a happy life at home. Still not wanting to be rude, he addressed her. 

"Hello to you too."

"My name is Jeon YoungJa, you may call me Mrs. Jeon."

"Seungcheol. Just Seungcheol is fine."

Pleasantries, but Seungcheol didn't want to stay a second longer. Where were Jihoon and Wonwoo? They should have arrived by now.

"You know, the other day we didn't start on good terms. Wonwoo is my only son, I worry a lot about him." She began explaining herself. She had on those alligator tears on the ready and that worried frown in her brows. If Seungcheol didn't know better, he might of believed her. Just maybe. He didn't respond, there wasn't anything for him to say. 

"I learned that your that Choi family that's at the top of the business world. I must say, you are very different from the papers I've read." 

"Of course, news companies are always blowing things out of proportion." He thinks back to the several times his name made headlines for doing nothing, just taking credit with his name. It wasn't that he didn't do anything impressive, he is pretty crucial to company and his own entertainment company isn't small. It's just that his father prefers that his 'hobby' is kept in the dark, and by doing that there is actually very limited information about him out there.

"Thank you for being my Wonwoo's friend. I'm happy to know he as an extremely dependable friend like you." She said sweetly. If Seungcheol could cringe without pulling a weird face, he would have. What she said was beginning to tick him off.

"If only he would stop hanging out with that shorter friend. That friend of his doesn't have any friends and has been hanging on my Wonwoo for too long. He's leading my son astray."

Well now Seungcheol just wanted to slam his head into a wall. Why was he listening to this woman again? Right, papers. But seeing Wonwoo walking with Jihoon down the corridor behind the woman, he suddenly felt defensive. Picking up his macho side, he squared his shoulders to give her a piece of his mind.

"Okay, first and foremost, his friend has a name and it's Jihoon. Second, I am a brother to Jihoon before being friends with Wonwoo. If anything else, I wouldn't have been friends with Wonwoo if he wasn't friends with Jihoon. So in your little social connections map you wouldn't of ever seen me if it weren't for your son." The same reason why lots of people don't recognize him on the streets. He rarely attends social functions, and if he does, he hangs out with Joshua at most.

"The way you are speaking about your son right now is so disgusting. Just last time you were telling him to stay away from my brother? Also something about causing a ruckus. You were the one creating a scene in a public hospital. All your son did was protect my brother. You should be proud of him for being selfless. Does your public image matter that much to you?" He huffed out, words flying as fast as rap. Out the corner of his eye, he saw Wonwoo holding Jihoon close, watching the situation unfurl. Jihoon didn't seem to show much of a reaction besides fidgeting closer to Wonwoo's side. Wonwoo though, was looking gravely at his mother, a look of hurt and disappointment in his small eyes. He never liked what his mother did to him on a daily basis- ignorance, verbal abuse- but seeing Seungcheol call her out for that just made it seem more real. That what she's doing to him was all to protect herself. That he didn't mean anything to her.

Mrs. Jeon was getting flustered. She didn't expect for Seungcheol to call her out on that, thinking he was just like all the other businessmen she made deals with, those that did things for a sum. She underestimated his age; he was still very young and impulsive, rude towards those who hurt the ones he loves. She judged him to be just like his father.

"Ah, no none of what I said last time was true, I was just extremely worried for him. He's always getting in trouble with ... Jihoon. If staying around Jihoon would bring my son more harm, would that be wrong of me to wish he wasn't away from harm?" If it was someone else saying the exact same lines, it would make complete sense. Of course, is there any mother out there that would wish upon their offspring harm? They always want to protect them, bubble wrap them from the outside world, watching over them carefully. But the way Mrs. Jeon said it, she was still condemning Jihoon for harming Wonwoo, when the harm came from else where.

Seungcheol wasn't going to let her off easy for pushing the blame towards Jihoon. "You still think that the problem lies with Jihoon. I thought you wanted a better first impression but it seems like its not getting any better. If you would just pay attention to the others around your son in school, you'll quickly see that the problem is with all the other stuck up kids on campus not just my brother. Since you only take care of yourself, at least let him do as he pleases." The way Seungcheol was lecturing her to do better as an adult infuriated her. Her face was gradually getting darker, redder. She wanted so badly to screech at him that he shouldn't be preaching but she wasn't able to just because of his status. That inner turmoil continued to build up until she just humphed and turned away, leaving the conversation.

While she was running away from the situation, she finally spotted Wonwoo. She threw a nasty glare at that Jihoon which Wonwoo caught, quickly pulling Jihoon behind himself, sending an equally nasty glare at his 'mother'. She scoffed and stalked off on her high heels, gripping her expensive clutch in a death grip.

Seungcheol approached the two, feeling a little sheepish and embarrassed for suddenly switching on the woman, having no respect for that woman despite Wonwoo's connection to her. "Sorry Wonwoo, she was saying some bad things and I just impulsively flipped. I hope that doesn't affect you at home." He realized a little late what attacking Mrs. Jeon publicly could possibly do to Wonwoo behind closed doors, now deeply regretting it. 

Wonwoo shook his head, telling him that it was ok. "She's rarely home anyway, and Jihoon would let me crash if anything goes south, right?" Jihoon flinched at the sudden attention but nodded a quick 'yes, of course'. Feeling the atmosphere was still a little heavy, Seungcheol coughed and guided them back to the nurse station to fill out that missing info that brought them here in the first place.