65. Sad departure

This is the Choi Family

Ever since Jun learned of his sister's death, he wanted to cling to everything that reminded him of her. Even before the incident, when his sister lost their family name, he gathered as many of her belongings from her room before his parents cleared it out, saying that everything she touched is trash. After knowing her son was out there, he used all his resources to find him. Tracing the ship all the way to Korea, he met up with his sworn brothers. They comforted him and supported him, but continued to search desperately.

Others won't understand the joy he felt when he finally identified him. Myungho, little Myungho! He's my nephew! Jun already had a connection with the Choi family, but Myungho is Myungho!! It was better for Myungho to be part of Seungcheol's family since his own family definitely didn't want him. He stared and stared at Myungho, his sister's child. He watched over him, he pampered him, taught him love. 

But Myungho wasn't Myungho. The paternity test said so. The DNA test said so. Where did it all go wrong? The data couldn't be wrong. His research team is the top intelligence gathering company in the country. But it was the truth, Myungho was not his sister's son despite his data match up. He worked his team harder to solve the mystery, even though he knew the results weren't going to good.

When the report finally got to his hands, he hesitated to read it, the expression of his assistant was hesitant. The file sat in his case, waiting to be opened. Seungcheol finally convinced him to sit down and read it in his place, so that he could be there when he reads the results.

And just as he expected, the results were heartbreaking. 

Myungho reached Korea by the Port of Sokcho aboard a freight ship, smuggled from China. He was to be taken to the nearest orphanage by the Port's decision, but since supervision wasn't managed very well, the worker that found Myungho was to take him there. After pushing off the duty for awhile, the baby was taken to the orphanage. 

At the orphanage, the management was just as poor, but the baby was registered and was in their care. Jun's nephew did make it to the orphanage. 

In one week, the baby was weakening, both from the long malnutrition and neglect by the orphanage. It didn't take long for the baby to give up the fight, life hanging by a thread. Just then, another smuggled baby was brought in. Chinese, and also from the Port of Sokcho. The dying baby was then abandoned, the new healthier one assumed his name, and Myungho became Myungho. 

Jun couldn't believe it. That damned orphanage. They killed his nephew. They treated him wrong and abandoned their mistakes, even covered up the murder. 

Jun screamed and scratched at his face, anguish and pain reflecting from his expression. He cried and cried, he ripped at his hair, he threw everything he could put his hands on, destroying his environment. Seungcheol was going to stop him, but Joshua held him back, shaking his head no. He didn't care for his living room being destroyed, he cared that Jun was hurting himself in his expression.

It took him 3 hours to calm down, and in the last hour he allowed Seungcheol's comfort. Seungcheol said nothing, just sat with him and held him. Running his hand through Jun's hair, the strands that Jun yanked loose fell out. Joshua came back with a hot drink and a warm towel; the drink for Jun and the towel to clean up.  Taking the warm towel, Seungcheol rubbed the tears off his brother's cheeks and tenderly cleaned up the cuts caused by Jun's nails. Wrapping his brother up in the fluffiest blanket, he pulled him back into his chest, where they stayed on the couch for the rest of the night.

After a night of sleep, Jun reorganized his thoughts. His nephew is dead. Myungho assumed his identity. They have to do something about the orphanage. But he had no energy, no motivation to continue. Seungcheol told him to rest more, that he would take care of the situation for him, but Jun gave no response. 

Jun stayed like that for another 2 days. Seungcheol and Joshua tended to him, cleaning him up and keeping him fed. Eventually, Jun's parents demanded his presence and was forced to leave. Seungcheol wasn't going to send Jun off to his good for nothing parents, but Jun was finally moving around so Joshua let him go. 

-----------

With Jun out of the country, Seungcheol and Joshua could only try to clean up the situation. Although Myungho is not Jun's nephew, he assumed his name and data. And although Myungho replaced his nephew, Myungho is not in the wrong, it was the workers who failed to raise the child.

Seungcheol went over to the children's place and looked for answers. Wonwoo explained that newborns or children younger than 2 were usually kept elsewhere, Chan the only exception. Jihoon explained that the moment Mingyu spotted the new baby in the doorway, he rushed to show Jihoon and by having Jihoon witness Chan's arrival, the caretakers just plopped Chan in Jihoon's care and left them to their own devices. 

If only Jihoon was awake and wandering late at night, he could have caught a glimpse at Jun's nephew. But in the end no one was at fault, it was all the orphanage's mismanagement's fault. Seungcheol held back from telling the 2 about Myungho and Jun's situation, hoping Jun would come explain on his own later on. 

Life resumed it's normal pattern and Seungcheol was back to creating a plan to save his company, a few days left before the rescheduled board meeting. Hoshi says he's busy and has kept busy, isolating himself with work. Seungcheol didn't have the time to check on everyone with his own problems to solve.