Lunar New Year...(Part 6) Different New Year Clothes [ii]

On-Screen COUPLE or Off-Screen COUPLE???

"Alright then," said Kyuhyun's father, "Now we can proceed on to the greetings,

(According to Korean tradition, the formal greeting custom on special occasions is a bow where you get down on both knees and bend your upper body. This kind of greeting is known as 'jeol'.
The Seollal jeol is called 'sebae', and this tradition is strictly observed even today. On the official day of Seollal, Koreans change into Hanboks to symbolize new beginnings starting off with a clean body and heart where they pay their respects to the elders by bowing or doing sebae.)-
Source taken by: http://www.visitkorea.or.kr/ena/SI/SI_EN_3_6.jsp?cid=309657  

With that, Kyuhyun's parents sat down on the couch while Ara, Kyuhyun and Hyun Heon lined up to wait for their turns to greet the two elders. First up was Ara. She places her right hand above her left hand and stood up straight with her hands resting in front of her lower abdomen (right below the navel). She then release her hands naturally as she bend her knees and sat. After that, she rested her hands in front of her knees, placing them at shoulder's width. Ara then bowed her head as she bend her upper body. She also took her hands off the floor as she raised her upper body. Lastly, Ara resumed her standing position with her hands in front of her lower abdomen.

After she finished greeting her parents, Ara, moved on to sit on the couch. Next up was Kyuhyun. He places his left hand above his right hand. He then stood up straight with his hands resting in front of his lower abdomen (right below the navel). Kyuhyun then raised his both hands up to his chest. After that he placed both of his hands on the floor as he bend down with his knees. He then bend his upper body and bowed his head. OnceKyuhyun's head touches the back of his left hand, he stood up by raising his right knee first. Last but not least, he raised his both hands up to his chest once more before returning his hands to its natural position. 

After Kyuhyun had finished his greetings, he went to sat with Ara. Hyun Heon tried to memorise the steps to greet Kyuhyun's parents. She had been observing how Ara did her greetings as the way females do their formal greeting is different from the males. She went in front, slowly, did what Ara had done before. Although she made some mistakes along the way, she immediately realised it and changed it instantly.

When Hyun Heon had done with her greetings, she went to join Kyuhyun and Ara. It was Kyuhyun's parents to stand up. They each gave the three of them a red packet. Hyun Heon took the red packet over Kyuhyun's parents' hands with a bow.

"Do they have these(red packets) in your country?" asked Kyuhyun's father.

Hyun Heon nodded, "Ne...we normally wishes our elders with two oranges on our hands and in return for the younger ones, they would give them a red packet each,"

"Very interesting," said Kyuhyun's father again, "Greet their elders with oranges..."

"Well," said Kyuhyun's mother, "Its not early now. Let's have our breakfast then. After that, we'll go to the supermarket,"

With that, the Cho family together with Hyun Heon went to the dinning table and sat down. On the table, there were five bowls of Seollal tteokguk (rice cake soup ) for each one of them and a few plates of side dishes.

"When you eat the Seollal tteokguk (rice cake soup )," Kyuhyun's mother explained to Hyun Heon, "It means that you've grown one year older,"

"Oh~" said Hyun Heon as she ate the Seollal tteokguk (rice cake soup ) and kept nodding her head.

"Its another new year,"said Kyuhyun's father, "I do not have any new expectations for the two of you(Ara and Kyuhyun) but I hope that your career will be successful as usual and nothing bad will happen to our family,"

"Nothing will happen to us," Ara told her father, "We'll just have to pray to God and he will lead the way for us,"

"Ara is right," said Kyuhyun's mother, "Don't worry to much,"

Kyuhyun's father nodded and smiled, "Fine, let's eat,"

After eating their breakfast, Hyun Heon helped Kyuhyun's mother and Ara to wash the dishes while Kyuhyun, himself was watching the television in the living room. Kyuhyun's father was in his room, changing to his normal clothes and getting ready to go to the supermarket. After washing the dishes, Kyuhyun's mother and Ara proceeded to change out their hanboks. They gathered in the living room and both Kyuhyun and Hyun Heon sent them off to the front door.

"We'll be having our lunch outside," Kyuhyun's mother told the two of them who was still wearing their hanboks, "Is it alright that the both of you settle your lunch yourselves?"

"Yea no problem," replied Kyuhyun.

"There's side dishes inside the fridge," Kyuhyun's mother told them, "You can take them out to eat also,"

"Araseo(I get it)," Kyuhyun assured his mother.

"Take care of Hyun Heon,"Ara told his brother.

"I know~" replied Kyuhyun.

With that, Kyuhyun's parents and Ara went off and Kyuhyun closed the door together with Hyun Heon. He turned and looked at Hyun Heon who was staring blankly at the floor. He took her hand mischeviously and pulled her to sit on the couch in the living room.

 

 

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Here's another update!!! I know these few chapters are too boring...I'll try to make it even more better! Sorry!

However, please do comment! Again, I do not own the picture.