Unselfish

Two Moons

 

On a sunny afternoon, two boys sit on a roof of a school building as they watch the only girl they chose to protect with everything they have. Seri sat in her classroom just like any normal student would and having two sets of eagle eyes monitor her became a routine already.

“Kai, I need to tell you something.” Tao said.

“What is it?” he asked.

“I’m in love with Seri.” he answered still looking at their precious target.

Kai gulped upon hearing the stinging words and pretended to be impervious. He knew at some point that Tao had feelings for her since he shares the same sentiments with him. It was just a matter of time who confesses first. “And?”

“I told her about it last night…” Exo-M’s maknae added.

“And?” the younger continued with a heart gradually beating faster.

“She said she’s in love with me…” he said.

Kai’s eyes instantly shut. His heart raged. His hands curled into fists. His only love just slipped from his fingers however tight he held on to her. ‘!’

Sensing how painful it is for him, Tao placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. “I’m not telling you this to ask you to stay away from her or avoid her.” then he opened his eyes and looked at Tao. “Yes, Seri loves me but she loves you just as much, and all I want for her is to be happy.” his eyes rounded in confusion. “You make her smile like nobody can. You bring out the best in her which I don’t think I can. You can even catch her every time she trips much faster than anyone else.” he laughed.

“Hyung… What are you saying?” Kai questioned.

Tao smiled and shifted back to look at his girl. “Being here on Earth and being with that girl right there, taught me a lot of things…” he breathed. “I learned that love is not selfish. That I can’t just think for myself. I have to think of Seri, you, and everybody else.” he blinked while enjoying his view. “I can’t afford seeing her break if you leave her side, and we being together does not mean it’s the end for you... As long as your heart beats for her, stay with her!”

“It hurts that she chose you but I’ll still be here for her. Nothing changes!” he sighed. “I even love her more than you do.” Kai smirked.

“I don’t think so…” Tao argued. “You can try though…” he ruffled his hair. “Seriously… Thanks bro!”

“Yah! I’m doing this for Seri, not for you!” he stuck his tongue to him. “But whatever, you’re welcome either way…” he reached out a hand to him. “Take care of her!”

“No… WE, will take care of that clumsy girl!” Tao grabbed his hand and exchanged bro hugs.

As classes ended, Seri met the boys by the school gate. Tao warmly smiled to her with hands in his pockets while Kai stood beside him, dazed. Who wouldn’t? He just had his first heart break. Maybe not that much painful but he’s still broken.

“What’s wrong with you? Toenails died?” she snorted.

“Shut up!” he looked away and walked ahead.

“What? Did I say something wrong?” she looked up to Tao.

“No! But your joke came at a wrong time.” he chuckled.

“Ooopss! Let’s go to Mr. Grumpy over there!” she grabbed his wrist and tugged him to catch up with Kai.

After reaching his side, Seri released Tao and grabbed a lollipop from his backpack. “Here! An apple flavored lolly for an apology…” she giggled while removing the wrapper. “Ahhh~” she raised it to his mouth and he refused. “Oh c’mon, Kai! I’m sorry…” she clung on his arm as they walk and kept poking the lollipop on his lips.

Her persistence once again won him over. He rolled his eyes and snatched it away from her, then slipped it in his mouth.

“Am I forgiven?” she wiggled her eyebrows.

“Whatever…” he looked ahead.

Tao chuckled at the bickering duo and decided to give them there alone time. “Seri-ah, I’ll go ahead. Gege wanted me to head home first…” he lied.

Seri wondered at his motive as he never did it before. It was the first time since he went with her to school that he’ll be leaving her with Kai. “Bro, I’ll see you guys at the bakeshop! Okay?”

“Huh?” even Kai wondered.

Tao replied with a wink and sprinted away.