Shadow

Two Moons

 

While Seri and Tao enjoy each other’s company, you found yourself sitting in the pavement with Shin while watching the streets in front of the bakeshop. It was already noon when you woke up so you went straight to see the bakeshop team after lunch with Luhan.

You rested your chin on top of your knees after hugging it and kept your eyes on the road. Shin on the other hand, planted his palms on the ground behind him while stretching his legs out.

“Hey? What’s up with you lately? We rarely spend time together, and here you are sulking around.” your best friend asked.

“A lot of stuff has happened, Shin… I don’t know where to start!” you sighed.

“Is this about the bakeshop?” he eyed you.

“H-how did you know?” you choked and looked at him.

Shin crossed his legs and dusted his hands to place an arm around your shoulder. “Come here, babe…” he pulled you. “The harabeoji that you accompanied las week approached me yesterday and told me that he saw you talking to a stranger.” you blinked. “So I investigated and found out everything. The debt, the foreclosure, everything…” he rubbed your arm.

You blew out an air and leaned your head on his chest. “I don’t know what to do anymore, Shin! I can’t lose the bakeshop. It’s the only legacy mom left us…” your voice shook.

“I know, Sehee! That’s why I paid all your debt.” he whispered.

“W-What?” you looked up to him.

Shin looked down to you and held your face with the other hand. “You don’t have to worry about anything. I asked helped from my parents to pay the bank. The bakeshop is all yours now. No one can take it away from you starting today.”

You suddenly lunged into Shin for a tight embrace. The weight that has been pulling you down has just been lifted. Even the thorn that was lodged in your lungs has been plucked making you breathe easier. Feeling light as a feather, you squeezed Shin into your arms with eyes shut. Shin rubbed your back and nestle his face on the crook of your neck. “I’m your shadow, Sehee!” he whispered. “I'm always here to accompany you every step of the way… And even if there's no light to shine anymore, I'd still be here…”

For the first time ever since your mom died, you cried and pressed your eyes on his shoulder. It was both tears of joy and sadness. Joy for he has always been there through good and bad, sadness for you have never returned the kindness he gives. Your bond with Shin has stood the test of time. He’s someone you share the strongest possible kind of friendship that has pure love, platonic as they call it, a deep and non-romantic connection between you two. “I can’t thank you enough, Shin!” you sobbed. “I’ll forever be grateful having you with me…” your tears started soaking his white shirt.

“Sshhhh… Baby, stop crying.” he ran his fingers through your hair. “That’s what friends do. Reaching out to lend a hand without being asked.” he lightly pushed you and cupped your face. “I can’t lose you, Sehee… Much less the bakeshop!” he smiled while wiping your tears with his thumb.

“Thank you…” your jaws quivered as tears kept streaming down.

“Hey… I said stop crying already. Aish~ Come here…” he pulled you to his chest.

With you crying your heart out in someone else’s arms, Luhan pressed his fist on the window pane. Every tear were like daggers stabbing his lungs, every sob painfully screeched in his ears, and every Shin makes on your cheek made his butterflies rage. ‘That should be me, damn it!’

“Why is Sehee crying?” Chen appeared beside him.

“What? Noona is crying?” Sehun ran out from the kitchen and joined them.

Seconds later, the rest of the team came and watched you through the window.

“She looks really sad. *sigh* We should do something about it already?” Xiumin said.

“No need for that anymore…” Chanyeol came in last.

“Wae?” Baekhyun played with a ball of dough in his hand.

“I happened to be at the roof cleaning the gutter when I heard them talk.” he slumped on a chair and they all averted their attention to him. “Apparently, Shin already paid all of the bakeshop’s debt.”

DO breathed out a sigh of relief and secretly raised his fist. ‘YESSS!’

“Damn! Just as I thought we’ll be the heroes!” Chen clucked his tongue.

“At least it’s fixed now…” Sehun glanced back to you. “But is she okay?” he asked.

“Mhmmm! Shin is doing a great job at being a friend to Sehee.” Chanyeol sighed. “Which makes me hate him even more… Lucky bastard!” he smirked.

They suddenly dispersed when they saw you and Shin stood.

Shin tucked strands of hair behind your ear and wiped your face with the back of his hand. “Feeling better?”

“Yup~ Komawo my ShinShin!!!” you sniffled.

“Ahhh… It’s been a while since you called me that. I missed it actually!” he ruffled your hair.

“I want another hug…” you pouted while stretching your arms out.

“Of course, babe!” he walked closer and wrapped his arms around you, even lifting you off the ground.