Mooncakes

Two Moons

You took the keys out of your purse and opened the main door of the bakery. The door chime rang and then flipped the sign to ‘open’.

Just as you stepped behind the counter, your one and only partner in running the store came in. “Good morning Sehee!”

“Morning Shin!” you greeted while tying an apron around your waist.

You and Shin grew up together, and living in the same neighborhood for almost all your lives earned you a one loyal friend. Just like you, he is quiet and reserved, caring not just to you but also to Seri. He went out of his way to make life easier for you especially when your mother passed away. At a young age, you were both trained to make mooncakes and taught tricks of the trade to manage a successful business.

“How’s Seri?” he wore an apron as well.

“Other than whining about school, she’s great!” you said.

“I think she’ll forever whine about it!” he laughed and eyed some passerby. “Aren’t you jealous of those college girls?”

“Why would I? I’m in love with what I do! And you know very well how happy and contented I am with my life…” you smiled warmly. “How ‘bout you? Aren’t you supposed to be in school as well?”

“I can’t! Last time I checked, the owner of this shop would have never survived without me.” he flexed his arms.

“Oh really?” you placed a hand on your hips and cocked your head to the side. “Then, you’re fired!”

Shin’s mouth left open and clutched his chest. “I’m hurt…”

“Enough with this emo ! Let’s get to work!” you shook your head while laughing and Shin went to the kitchen.

Even if it’s not Chuseok, customers flock your store to buy mooncakes. That’s how good they are. Your mother made sure to pass down the family’s secret that made your pastries famous.

“Sehee-ah, I want 3 of those and 5 those!” an old lady pointed.

After wrapping it in a brown paper bag, you handed it to her. “Here you go, halmeoni!”

She then handed you some bills. “Keep the change!”

“Aniyo! It’s okay…” you waved frantically.

“Eeiiii… Keep it! You should charge more for these treats. They’re really good!” she grabbed a piece from the bag and ate.

“Kamsahamnida!” you bowed.

“Neh~” she left.

Shin came out from the kitchen and refilled the display case. “Aigooo~ I never noticed that grandma getting fat eating these!” he laughed.

“Must be the morning jog! She doesn’t misses a day, right?” he nodded and you both continued.

-----------

That’s how your mornings are like and has been that way for the last 2 years.

Afternoons are a bit different since you mostly stayed at the kitchen to bake while Shin delivers to old patrons around the neighborhood on his bike.

Over the years, you managed to concoct one of the most heavenly flavors and at the same time, the most unusual. From raspberry, green tea, peanut butter flavored mooncakes, to shrimp, tomato, even blue cheese flavored ones where you failed miserably.

The door chime rang and you shot up while kneading the dough. “Seri? Is that you?”

“Neh!” she came through the kitchen door with a lollipop in . “What are you making this time?” she dropped her backpack on a chair and watched you.

“Just the normal one… I can’t think of anything at the moment.” you said.

“Aaahhh…” she turned to the door again. “I’ll just do homework while watching the shop.”

“Neh!” you smiled.

Evening came and Seri also finished studying.

You were sitting behind the counter getting ready to leave. “Hey girls! I’m back!” Shin yelled.

“Hi oppa! How was your trip?” Seri ran up to him, linking an arm and tilting her head on his shoulder.

“Nothing much. Same old, same old!” he ruffled her hair. “Ready to go?” he asked you.

“Yup!” you turned off the lights and the three of you headed out.

You flipped the sign to a ‘close’ and locked it while Shin rolled down the metal window shutters.

“All done! Gaja!” Shin draped each arm on your shoulders and pulled you both.

“What are you doing?” you raised an eyebrow.

“Taking my girls home, wae?” he raised an eyebrow.

“No need, oppa! We are strong and independent women.” Seri mused.

*sigh* “Fine! See you guys tomorrow!” he beamed.

“Bye Shin!” you patted his arm. “Bye oppa!” Seri hugged him.

“Aigooo~ At least little sister loves me, unlike someone…” he her hair then started walking backwards after breaking away.

“Take care Shin~” you sang and turned to a different direction with Seri.

You and your sister have been taking this route everyday to and from the bakery but not until tonight...