Life On Earth

Two Moons

“Seri-ah… Wake up!” you shook your sister. “Sis! Wake up or you’ll be late for school!”

“Unnie, 5 more minutes please?” she croaked under the sheets.

*sigh* ‘Do I really have to do this every morning?’ you suddenly gripped her blanket. “Move it! NOW!!!” and yanked it away.

Seri instantly curled to the side and muttered inaudible curses. “Aish! I hate Mondays! I hate my senior life! I hate my life! %@#^$@&*...”

She slowly rose and you walked out of the room. “Come down once you’re done. Breakfast is ready."

“Neeehhh~” she yawned, stretching her arms out.

The house left by your parents is reminiscent to a cottage. It is comforting and cozy with three bedrooms upstairs, living room and dining room with kitchen downstairs. The climbing vines on the metal frames, greets the view of the seemingly lush gardens of shrubs and lavenders. Charming and quaint, a white picket fence protected the premises.

“I find it unfair why I had to go to school while you don’t…” Seri complained while walking down the stairs.

“OMG Seri! Do I really have to tell you every other week why?” you shook your head and she sat in front of you.

“I just can’t accept it! School monkey balls!” she planted an elbow on the table and pressed a cheek on her palm.

“Look sis! You have to endure with it, okay?” you placed a pancake and sausage on her plate.

“Whatever unnie! I never liked the idea that you have to sacrifice everything for me.” she ate slowly without looking at you.

You reached out a hand, fixing her bangs. “It’s all good, Seri. I can just go to college if time and finances permits.” you forced a smile.

Her face suddenly lit up in determination. “Don’t worry, unnie! As soon as I graduate from high school, I’ll find a decent job and work as well!”

“You can’t, sis. That’s my responsibility and I promised mom to have you finished college. Meanwhile, just study hard and be the sweetest sister that you are. Okay?” you pinched her cheek.

“OW!” she rubbed the spot. “Okay…” she pouted.

After finishing breakfast and washing the dishes, Seri went up to get her backpack while you went ahead to the door.

“Unnie, I’m ready! Let’s go?” she came running towards you.

“Yup!” you both headed out.

The village you lived in is a small community which is a lot peaceful and simple given that it is situated in the outskirts of Seoul. You almost knew everybody especially that your family is famous for the most delectable mooncakes where you also earn a living.

You own a tiny bakery that sells one of the tastiest mooncakes in the city. It is located in a corner of a street just a few blocks away from your house. The windows are donned with sweet treats in different sizes, flavors, and shapes. The fresh baked aroma has become the local’s indulgence ever since it was built by your great grandparents.

Every morning, you and Seri greet your neighbors while making your way to your respective destination. She at school, you at the bakery.

“Bye unnie!” she waved upon reaching an intersection.

“Neh! See you later!” you waved back and went in different directions.