58. Accident

This is the Choi Family

I was hoping for an 'awww cuuutteee' last chapter but I guess it didn't work (._. )

-------------

Things don't always go as planned; even with the most fool proof plan there is always that 1% chance that the whole thing would go down wrong. After a long period of absence, Choi father showed up once again. Although it wasn't in front of the kids, it wasn't in front of Seungcheol either. Instead, he appeared on the TV. Across every single news outlet, every single social media platform, his appearance on TV was the number one most searched and discussed topic. Again Seungcheol didn't know about his father's appearance until Jun sent him the clip and the subsequent credible news articles. 

"I stand here before you today to declare my next heir. Welcome my nephew, Hyunwoo." After the first line, Seungcheol stopped paying attention. No, he couldn't pay attention. Dropping his phone out of shock, he fell back in his seat. A trembling hand pressed the button to call the secretary, a mumble of "Bring Hoshi to me" was heard in the otherwise silent room before his hand slipped back to his lap. A multitude of things ran through his brain, each though at odds with another. There was a ping at his laptop, indicating an important email. He moved on auto pilot and clicked on the mail, it was sent by his father's lawyer. 

'Dear Mr. Choi Seungcheol,

The Choi group has acquired over 51% of CSC Entertainment's shares and would like to discuss the changes we'd like to see. In summary, we want to change the CEO, the company's direction, and we will be reviewing your employees.

Attached are the details.'

The worst possible thing has happened. The unimaginable has happened. Hoshi came barging in, the door bouncing off the wall with force as he pulled Seungcheol out of his desk chair and over to the softer sofa. Sitting next to him, his fingers fidgeted not knowing what to do. "Hyung, talk to me. Don't bottle it up." Seeing as Seungcheol wasn't functioning at all, he pulled his head to his shoulder and held him. Using his other hand, he texted in the group chat 'code red'. The following replies told him that Joshua and Jun were on their way. "Everything will be fine, everything happens for a reason." 

As soon as Hoshi got the message that their friends were out front, he half carried half guided Seungcheol out to the waiting car. Joshua drove in silence, he was briefed by Jun on the way and he didn't know what to say either. The situation was very complex and despite being a close cousin, he still didn't know enough to judge. Jun sat with Seungcheol in the back, rubbing comforting circles in his back. Arriving at Seungcheol's home, they moved together into the living room. Hoshi left to get blankets and Jun went to make warm drinks while Jun stayed with Seungcheol.

"Come on hyung. It's okay to feel overwhelmed. Let it all out. We'll be here to put you back together." Seungcheol could hear them but he couldn't move. His father's declaration repeated throughout his head. 

The first reaction was confusion, 'what? Not his own son?'. The second emotion was anger. The reason why his brother left was because he couldn't handle the pressure of becoming the heir, all their father's training tortured and suffocated him so much he left the moment he found the way out. Seungcheol didn't want to be the heir either, but he didn't want his father to win this fight. He pulled through all those boring classes in accelerated learning to get his degree in business administration and management. He put up with his father's heckling and worked a public position in his father's firm. Now he wasn't going to be the heir? They suffered for no reason. And Hyunwoo hyung of all people? He was one of Seungcheol's favorite older cousins, always taking him places whenever he visited, giving him a break from father. The third emotion was betrayal and jealousy, it was brief but strong. What made Hyunwoo hyung better than him? He was older, he has the same degree but he has a masters in arts. His passion wasn't business. Hyunwoo, why Hyunwoo hyung? The fourth was fear. What was he going to do now? His company literally got bought. He should have paid attention to the stocks. There's no way 51% could have gone to the same company without prior notice. It was his company, his baby. The only thing he was allowed to have while putting up with his father. The only thing keeping him stable in this life. And now it was about to be taken away from him in a money fight. 

"What... what do I do now?" He finally turned to look at his brothers. "What is left for me?" Jun didn't want to be the one to break it to him, but he was the most knowledgeable of the situation being the information giant in the room. "Your father declared Hyunwoo-ssi as the heir of the company, his acknowledgement as the CEO is in a year. He said you were young and he didn't want to burden you with a role given your age." Flicking though the notes he had on his phone, Jun skimmed the main points. "He has acquired more than 51% of the company shares and is capable of holding shareholder meetings without your consent. That also means that he has the right to remove you from your position. To the public, he said he was supporting his son in his childish endeavors." A different emotion ran through his system. Relief that he didn't have to follow his father's foot steps, relief that his father won't breath down his neck. It didn't sit well in his system, as his own company was about to be stripped from him, a deep fear that the other shareholders would be influenced. 

He said nothing more, Jun finished briefing them of everything else. Seungcheol nodded, for no reason but to move a little. "I... don't have to work there anymore do I?" Jun answered with a nod, reminding him of the contract he had with his father. To be the next heir, he had to uphold his public image and work for the firm. Since he wasn't the heir, he didn't need to work there no more. But at this rate he would be jobless soon. Joshua gave him a comforting squeeze. "Things will work out. You've been preparing yourself to break away from his hold, it's just been brought forward." Just then Hoshi let out a strangled noise. "Um, guys, I know things are bad and we are trying to get better, but it looks like Mr. Choi is making up with Mr. Yoon." Jun set to work, phoning people and getting the information they needed.

Their plan of slowly exposing the Yoon family was being thrown off track with his father's announcement, the hashtags no longer showing the Yoon's corrupt rumors. Jun told them that Mr. Choi sounded like he was going to help Yoon get back on his feet and find the person who started the rumors. And looking at the transactions that Jun found, Choi was really using money to sweep the whole thing under the bus. "This won't do, if this continues I'm still going to be married off as a trophy son." A timely message from Jeonghan came, saying he was worried as well. Seungcheol sent a quick 'we'll figure things out' before exhaling harshly. "Everything is fine, I can do this. I've been planning this for a while." He repeated Joshua's words. "I can start over. I can do it." 

They continued to discuss quietly, Seungcheol's agenda included going to the shareholders meeting and seeing what his father wanted to do to CSC Entertainment, securing his own funds, and finding a way to expose the Yoon family extravagantly. They all calmed down, a semblance of peace and control written across their face. Hoshi broke the silence first. "Hyung, if you're not the boss of CSC no more, I'm following you. I'll quit." Seungcheol wanted to rebuke but he also felt a selfish need and pride that Hoshi was so willing to leave with him. "Thanks bro." He decided on. Joshua turned the TV back on, switching channels for some background noise. It was suppose to be grounding but instead they saw something else.

"This just in, here in Seoul, a bus accident has happened. The details are coming in as we speak." The news anchor grabbed at the papers being handed to her. "The bus route is 101, in Gangnam-gu had just left the stop by Sunshine daycare and was en route to the next stop when it was rammed by a semi truck with a trailer, it's trailer swinging into the side of the bus as well." Sunshine daycare. The kids. "The bus has been knocked on it's side, the firefighters and paramedic are on site, evacuating the passengers as fast as they can." The TV showed an on-sight view of the crash. And as the anchor said, the bus was on it's side, all it's windows blown out. The street was narrow since it was the housing district, the paramedic vans lined the street, people being moved rapidly and onlookers being pushed back. And on a closer look, Seungcheol didn't want to believe it but Wonwoo was there. On that stretcher. Being moved on to the outbound ambulance. 

"No."