53. Downhill

This is the Choi Family

Ever since Jeonghan had given approval of their plan, Seungcheol and Joshua have been monitoring it's progress. Little tabloids and rumors first lingered in the sidelines of everyone's gaze, little things like how the Yoon Family dress, how they act and how they work. Slowly, bigger things came up; reporters were bringing up the family at the 6pm news, tabloids turned into articles, there was a lot of attention. 

Under Jeonghan's careful observation, his parents haven't found this disconcerting,  in fact they bathed in the attention. "Oh look at that! Our name is at the top most searched topics on Naver!" His mother bragged and cheered without knowing why their name was there. His father was a little more cautious but once the reporters were simply asking about how they live day to day, he threw it to the wind. 

What the newer articles stated were not good news:

-Yoon Donghyun(Yoon Jeonghan's father) appears to be partying after learning that his competitor has been taken down. For a person to hold such a banquet after his competitor has just announced it's bankruptcy, isn't it a little ostentatious? 

He and his wife were seen on a private cruise out on the Han River celebrating like no other. Here are pictures and detailed reports of their sighting.

-Upon reading a couple audit notes, it seems the company owned by Yoon Donghyun has been evading government laws by using money. Following this report, the government announced that they are to send their own auditors to confirm this rumor sometime this week. Although the following documents show gaps very clearly, they are not guilty until proven so. 

Jeonghan played the unknowing son, bringing up the topics at dinner. "Father, have you been reading the news?" His father grunted and waved his hand as if whatever Jeonghan said would be shooed away. "I don't need to read the news. My business is thriving and you are progressing with your relationship. That is all I need right now." His mother injected herself into the conversation, cooing and voicing her fantasies of Jeonghan's marriage, completely ignorant of the situation. Finding another chance, he needed to make his father aware of the malicious things the news say to get the plan to move forward. "But father, I heard from the heir of the Kims that auditors are coming within the week. Have you already dealt with them?" 

At the word auditors his father finally paid some attention. "What auditor? I haven't heard a thing." Jeonghan rolled his eyes inside his head, sarcastically miming I don't need to read the news in his heart. Externally however, he showed a timely confused expression. "You haven't heard? Every large news station has been saying the same thing since yesterday. That the government is going to send auditors." He appeared to have finished his dinner and was fiddling with his phone. He might need this later, to get himself out of the mess his father made. It doesn't hurt to record his next words.

"What?! No, if that was true I would have been informed! They can't do that! What happened to the auditors from before?!" His father was enraged, throwing his utensils harshly onto the table. Shooting up from his seat, he paced with his phone out, trying to get information. "No, where is my secretary?! Pick up the damn phone! They can't just come audit my company. That is my empire, you can't just come and go." 

"Why can't they do another audit?" Jeonghan asked quietly. If he asked the question wrong, he could get hurt. His father's burning eyes latched onto his form, causing him to flinch. Was that a landmine? "You still don't understand?! Of course there are things that I don't want them to find you imbecile! Why else would I get audits done by the same people again and again?! Instead of sitting there and doing nothing, get your fiance on the phone and try to get help from his company!" He hissed. Jeonghan obediently pulled up Seungcheol's contact visibly before his father and called. Seungcheol doesn't answer and that enrages his father more. "You stupid useless waste of space!! I got you an arranged marriage with the enemy company for a situation like this and you still can't do a thing!" The words stung like all the other times before, but Jeonghan didn't let them linger for long. Ducking his head in submission, he left the dining hall and headed for his room.

Flopping on his bed,  he messaged Seungcheol that he was clear of his father.

Jeonghan: He knows about the audit, I think it is going well

Seungcheol: Thanks, hopefully he will make a mistake soon

Seungcheol: Once we catch him in the act we'd be half way there

Jeonghan: Thank you, seeing my father so distressed is refreshing

Seungcheol: lol I get you. 

Jeonghan thought that would be the end of the conversation but the 3 dots in a bubble stopped him. 

Seungcheol: After all this is over, would you give yourself a chance?

Jeonghan: What chance?

Seungcheol: at happiness.

He didn't have to ask further to know what Seungcheol was implying. Would he go back to Joshua? Before, when he was still just a mindless doll listening and obeying his father, he longed to stay with Joshua. He had missed Joshua's comfort, his American style. Now, if this plan works, he would be free of his father. But would he go to Joshua then? At first Jeonghan thought the only shackle holding him back from running straight to Joshua was his father, but now that he thought more openly, there was more. Of course, Joshua is comfort, Joshua is home. But did he deserve that warmth and love? More importantly, did Joshua want him to return? He could have changed, everyone changes over time. With too many thoughts in his head, he sighed.

Jeonghan: I'll think about it.