23. Home

This is the Choi Family

Seungcheol laid awake in bed, thinking about the conversation he had with Wonwoo. He had told him that it was already better since people found out that Jihoon was adopted by the Choi family, but it still happens subtly, physical only occasionally. Wonwoo reassured that he's already with Jihoon as often as he could at school, keeping the bullies away. 

Rolling on his side, he eyes fell on Jihoon's face. Jihoon slept on his side more often than his back, legs curled up, hands by his face, fetal position. His fair skin highlighted by the moonlight, mouth parted slightly, slow quiet breaths shifting the air. All muscles in his face relaxed, sleeping like the baby nearby. Brushing his bangs out of his face gently, he wondered how he lived until today. While he was living but not living, when he had money and nothing left to buy, what was Jihoon doing? Was he working at the orphanage? Was he being bullied in school? Did Jihoon eat well? Sleep well? How did the orphanage treat him? He was probably scraping by. While he was still fighting internally with himself with everything he had and never had. What kind of life was that?

Even though he had everything he ever wanted, what he missed is something he can't grasp. If Jihoon's little family survived well on little to nothing, but still lived with the love and care of each other, maybe that can answer Seungcheol's yearning. How did they do it? They have each other. 

How about Seungcheol? He shook his head. It's better not to think about it when the day is still young.

He doesn't know what happened back then, but he wants to know what happens now. Seungcheol picked up his phone and messaged his personal secretary, asking for Jihoon's schooling information. For the future, it would be better for him to know about everything before hand. He was going to protect the boys, he was going to protect his family.

------------

Eating a light breakfast, they prepared for the ride home. There was one more event before the afternoon drive, but the children don't need to know that. Parking in the parking lot, the children looked out the window in anticipation. Wonwoo read the sign when they entered so he already knew. Looking back at Jihoon's face, it seems he didn't catch the flashy sign at the entrance. "Jihoon-ah, aren't you excited?" He teased. Jihoon nodded rapidly, just as excited as the children. Seungcheol unlocked the doors and helped the children off the car. Lined up before him, the children looked up at him urging him to tell. Spreading his arms up in the air, he gestured dramatically. "Welcome, children. To the biggest petting zoo in the province!!!" The children squealed in glee, jumping up and down in place, hugging each other, being loud in general. Jihoon looked just as fascinated. Guiding the children in, one wrist band per child, 2 for Jihoon- for Chan. 

Walking throughout the zoo, they met cows, goats, horses, foals, piglets, cats, dogs, chickens, and every animal that everyone can think of at a petting zoo. They took many pictures, created many memories. They were taking pictures with the cows when one decided Mingyu's hair smelled funny and sneezed all over him. Mingyu let out a high pitched shriek hopping frantically away. Seungcheol only laughed and manhandled him closer to the cow against Mingyu's protests.

In some pictures, Myungho was feeding carrots to a rabbit, but if you pay attention to the background, there was a wild Seungcheol running away from a mama pig hot on his trail. Seokmin and Seungkwan made funny faces with the horses, raising their arms like they were galloping. Hansol was hesitant to touch the bigger animals so in all the pictures with them, Wonwoo was hugging him tightly. Then there was a picture of Jihoon and Seungcheol, both watching the kitten on Seungcheol's lap drinking milk from the bottle Jihoon held. Finally, was a group picture, animals surrounding them, children all sunshine and rainbows, smiles and laughter. 

Jihoon never felt warmer, excitement and glee glowing about him.

-------------

The drive back was quiet, children all asleep, exhausted from running around all day. Wonwoo was still awake, flicking through his phone for some soft music to listen to. "Seungcheol hyung, got any songs to recommend?" Seungcheol hummed, thinking for a while before answering. 

"Do you have Woozi's latest track? I've heard it only a few times but I'm absolutely in love with it." Wonwoo froze for a second, but Seungcheol didn't notice. 

"Ah, you mean 20?" Wonwoo helped Jihoon post 20 Thursday night, it was a spur of the moment post, Jihoon was extremely excited for it, tugging on Wonwoo's shirt to remind him at every chance he had. Pulling up Uprising, he clicked play on '20'. The nice strum of guitar filters quietly through the car. 

"Do... you like Woozi?" Wonwoo asked curiously. He was a bit hesitant to talk about Woozi, knowing Jihoon and him want to keep it a secret, but he was working with Seungcheol, it wouldn't hurt to probe him a little. Seungcheol's face visibly lit up. 

"I love Woozi! His music is amazing." Seungcheol enthusiastically gave his opinion on Woozi. "I first found out about him from my friend, the track he introduced me to was 'Ah Yeah'. It's a bit different in style among the other songs but man, hip hop is my life. When I heard that I missed the days when I was a rapper. The lyrics were great, it reminded me of the first times that I had to stand up for myself. So refreshing, so youthful. Such a huge 'THIS IS ME' yelling out of it." Wonwoo flushed hearing comments about his rap lyrics. Ah Yeah was one of the many songs Jihoon let him write all the lyrics to, the first to be released. 

"Then I looked 'em up and fell in love with all the other tracks. I love his style." He continued to express how much he loves Woozi, Wonwoo already tuning him out. He was glad that Seungcheol was genuinely excited about Woozi. "Right, hyung. There was something on the news about a collaboration? Isn't CSC your company?" Seungcheol stiffened in his seat. Sighing, he decided it was alright to tell Wonwoo, after all it was already on the news. "Yeah... It was suppose to be a secret now everyone knows about it. My mistake, my company wasn't careful enough." He sighed, remembering how close he was to losing the collaboration. "Next time, nobody will know. Just me, the singer, and Woozi. Who cares if PR wants a heads up before a comeback? I'm keeping Woozi to myself." Seungcheol grinned. "I sound obsessed don't I. Keeping him to myself. Haha." Wonwoo only chuckled along. "Your not the only one, hyung. There's millions out there wanting to get close to him. You're lucky he responded to you." "You're right. At least I have a chat room with him. Be jealous, fellow followers!"

Jamming to Woozi's music, they bonded the whole ride home. Wonwoo could trust Seungcheol with Woozi, but not yet. He wasn't willing to share Jihoon just yet.