103. Piano

This is the Choi Family

Waiting in the doctor's office, Joshua held Hansol in his arms, letting him play with his fingers. Jun was sitting stiffly next to him, staring off into space, head in the clouds. Joshua tried several times to tell him that everything is okay, that Hansol was fine, but Jun wouldn't listen. Shaking his head at his foolish friend, Joshua paid him no mind and focused on the child in his arms. After crying a little at the pinch from the needle for a blood test, Hansol was pretty calm.

The doctor returned with the results in hand, grabbing Jun's attention.

"Hello, guardians of Chwe Hansol? Mr...Wen and Hong?"

"Yes?" Jun responded immediately, impatient for the news.

"After taking a look at the tests, little Hansol over here doesn't have any allergen in his system. He is fine."

Jun could finally relax, his muscles finally loosened up. 

"There is one thing I want to talk about, however." The doctor began. "From the simple blood test we did, it seems that his vitamin D levels are a little on the low side."

"And what does that mean for him?" Joshua asked.

"As he is still young, this might disturb his muscle and bone growth. He might have muscle pain from time to time or be lethargic. Has he been indoors for a long period of time? Does he go outside to play?"

Jun and Joshua looked towards each other. From what they know, for the sake of watching so many of them, they often keep the children indoors in order for the few of them to keep track of all of them. But they have been letting them play in the backyard often. They explained to the doctor about their situation, and all the doctor could tell them was to make sure the other ones were also checked.

After the visit, Jun insisted on a walk. Letting Hansol walk on his own, both hands held by the two of them, he joyfully skipped.

Looking at how much fun Hansol was having, Joshua wouldn't have thought there was anything wrong at all. Walking around, they came across a library. Next to it was a small playground, where children were climbing all over it, their parents watching them from the bench in the shade. 

Hansol seemed pretty excited, pulling their hands towards that direction. The two stayed close to him but let him play freely. Joshua left Hansol to Jun to phone Seungcheol.

"Mhm. There's nothing wrong. Just a little something else came up in this visit. Want to bring the other kids out? We're at a playground by the library." After getting the ok, he went back to Jun and Hansol.

----------------

Seungcheol and the rest soon arrived, all the kids in tow. After seeing the playground, all the little ones were excited, rushing towards it together. "Slow down! Don't trip!!!" Wonwoo called after them.

Mingyu held Seungkwan's and Myungho's hands and ran together, making sure they wouldn't faceplant. "We'll be okay~!!!"

Since Chan was still a bit too small to enjoy the same things as the others so Jihoon could only hold him. Chan fidgeted in his arms, making small noises.

Jeonghan saw Seokmin on the spring horse rocking back and forth, giggling happily and offered to take Chan over there. Seeing as he wasn't thinking about whatever happened earlier, Seungcheol nudged Jihoon to let him. Giving up Chan to Jeonghan, Jihoon headed over to where Wonwoo was. He was watching the kids chase Mingyu all over the jungle gym, laughing like crazy.

Joshua came over to Seungcheol and explained what the doctor had told him. "I guess the most we could do is let them have more dairy products and play outside more often." They concluded. 

Watching the kids have fun, Seungcheol felt warm inside. They were so carefree, running around with so much energy. Perhaps they were pretty tied down at home, not seeing enough sun.

Remembering back to when he was younger, when he wasn't so happy, he was also told by a doctor that his vitamin D was lacking. He wasn't as young as the little ones, and the effects were different for his adolescent body. The doctor told him it could lead to depression, that it could be really dangerous for him. Nobody needed to tell him that though, he already knew he wasn't in a good spot since his brother left. Not wanting the little ones to grow up to be like himself, he wished for their well-being.

Walking around the little playground, he heard someone playing the piano. Following the sound, he found a little patio connected to library. A parent was playing music for their child who was singing along. Listening a little longer, he made it out to be a nursery rhyme. The song finished and that family left, leaving the piano open for anyone else. Seungcheol took a seat, but he doesn't really know how to play it.

Jun noticed him pressing keys here and there and couldn't help laughing at how silly he looked. "Move over bro. Lemme teach you."

Plopping himself down on the seat Seungcheol vacated, his hands flew across the keys, playing a fast paced piece. Seungcheol knew that Jun could play the piano, but he'd never heard it himself until now. Drawing the attention of the others, it soon brought some little ones and Wonwoo over. Helping the kids sit on the bench nearby, they were each given a little snack and a drink. Taking a break with Jun's music, they swung their little legs to the beat.

Wonwoo spotted Jihoon returning with Jeonghan and Chan and pulled him over quickly.

"Come'on. Show them what their big brother can do." Jun also wanted to hear the great producer Woozi play, and got up. He pretended to clean the seat and bowed excessively, playing the roll of an exaggerated servant. The little ones laughed at his antics. Receiving their attention, Jun winked at them anf joined them on the bench.

Jihoon sat at the piano admiring the keys, feeling the 88 keys under his hands. At home, he had a shorter keyboard; it didn't have the upper octave or the lower one, simply because they weren't used often and even if he needed them, the settings could be changed. Hearing the difference between his keyboard and this piano, he felt a bit excited. Since all the keys were before him, he could finally play a classical piece after a long time. 

Playing a medley of classical pieces, Seungcheol and the others recognized the popular and familiar tunes quickly and it put a smile on their faces. It also drew the attention of other families, all listening and enjoying his music.

Mingyu finished his snack quickly and went to sit on the bench with Jihoon. Seeing Mingyu staring at his fingers moving along the keys, Jihoon picked Mingyu up with a grunt, he's getting heavier, he put him on his own lap and held Mingyu's hands to play.

Pressing his index fingers on F and G,  they played chopsticks. Mingyu quickly remembered the pattern so Jihoon let him play while he accompanied on the lower octave.

When the kids had their fill of snacks and fun, they went back to the playground to play for a little longer, leaving Jihoon and Seungcheol at the piano.

At this point Jihoon was just playing randomly, just enjoying the keys under his fingers. Seungcheol sat with him, just listening to him. 

---------------

The children played outside for a long time and were very tired when they reached home, but they still had to eat dinner and clean up before sleeping. In the end, they were all fed by Jihoon and Wonwoo, and bathed half-awake by Joshua and Seungcheol, and put to  bed as soon as possible.