10. A typical family problem, but the first for Seungcheol

This is the Choi Family

Early in the morning, Jihoon woke up before anyone else. Seeing Wonwoo next to him, he snuggled in his chest sapping warmth and laid there for a while longer. When the sun started peaking through, Jihoon finally decided to get up. Gently leaving the bed, he covered up Wonwoo tightly before leaving for the bathroom. He showered, brushed his teeth, washed his face and cleaned the bathroom. On ground floor, he was greeted by Joshua who woke up early due to jet lag. 

"Good morning Jihoon-ah." 

"M-morning,h-hyung." 

He shuffled past Joshua to the kitchen. Brewing a fresh pot of coffee, he served Joshua a cup replacing Joshua's already cold one. Judging by Joshua's dark circles but completely dressed and ready for the day, he figured Joshua must of been chasing sleep to no avail.

"Thanks." Jihoon nodded, picking at his fingers. Pulling out pans and a pot, Jihoon pulled out eggs and ham from the fridge and rice from the cupboard. Joshua watched as Jihoon meticulously made breakfast for his family. 

"I think you're amazing, Jihoon." Joshua said. It wasn't everyday you see a seventeen year old cooking in a kitchen for 6 other siblings and guests. Jihoon flinched because he didn't expect Joshua to still be watching him as he cooked. 

"T-thanks." Jihoon's cooking made great ASMR but Joshua was bored. 

"I can't imagine taking care of so many little ones alone. Did this happen in the orphanage too?" 

Jihoon nodded. 

"Wow, it must of been hard on you. There are so many more children there, some older, some younger. Were you the oldest one there?" 

Jihoon was busy flipping the eggs and wasn't paying much attention. Joshua nodded to himself pretending there was an answer, understanding Jihoon should probably focus on the stove. 

"Well, people must of liked you when you were there. You're so cute." 

Joshua talked for the 2 of them, but it didn't feel lonely anymore. Sometimes Jihoon could pick up what Joshua and answer him, allowing Joshua to know more about him. Breakfast was done, Jihoon went to wake up the kids while Joshua went to wake up Seungcheol. Slipping into his room, Mingyu was already awake, rolling around on his bed, wrapped up like a burrito. 

"Mingoo~." Jihoon cooed.

Mingyu perked up immediately, quickly untangling himself form the blankets. 

"Hyung~!" 

Bouncing up into Jihoon's arms, Jihoon carried the koala Mingyu to the next room. Mingyu helped wake Hansol and Seungkwan while Jihoon woke Seokmin and Myungho. They moved them one by one into their respective seats at the dining table. When Joshua finally dragged Seungcheol out of bed, Wonwoo was finishing washing up. 

"Jihoonie?" He called as he stepped out. 

"Ah, good morning hyung." Wonwoo greeted Joshua who was shoving Seungcheol into the bathroom. 

"Morning Wonwoo." Joshua replied with a smile. Jihoon came out of the last room with baby Chan. 

"Jihoonie~ why didn't you wake me to help you." Wonwoo sulked as he walked over, lower lip jutted out in a pout. Morning Wonwoo was always more expressive in the morning.

"Ungh." Baby Chan was squirming in Jihoon's arm so Wonwoo took him in his own. 

"Um? What's wrong baby?" Wonwoo looked over the baby, checking for redness perhaps from fabric burn, diaper rash, or tumbling in his crib but there wasn't any. Jihoon changed his diaper before coming out so that wasn't it. 

"Don't fuss baby, you probably had bad sleep." With that, everyone was finally up and awake. Everyone ate their breakfast with gusto but baby Chan was refusing his bottle. "Channie?" Jihoon bounced with Chan in his arms. Feeling all over the baby and finding nothing unusual, Jihoon was confused. Since everything could be solved with sleep, Jihoon patted Chan's back to help ease him to sleep. 

In the afternoon, they played in the front yard. Seungcheol blew bubbles for the children, Joshua strummed a guitar, Wonwoo rolled with the children. Jihoon was cleaning the house; he put away all the toys, threw all their blankets and stuffed toys into the wash, and mopped the floor. Dusting off the bookcase, he was stopped by crying noises. 

"Waaa...." Hearing this, he turned to look outside, but they looked fine. Turning to baby Chan, he dropped everything in his hands and rushed over. Picking up the upset baby, he swayed in an attempt to calm the baby. Checking the diaper, testing the bottle, Chan only cried harder. He even began choking on his sobs. Touching the baby's forehead, Jihoon began to panic. Poor baby Chan had a fever. They didn't notice because babies are usually warmer and because he was wrapped up in blankets. 

"C-Ch-chan!" 

He never dealt with infant fevers and was internally struggling. His hands fidgeted in panic, eyes darting everywhere, trying to work his poor brain faster. Finally making up his mind, he decided the best place would be to the hospital. Hugging Chan tightly, Jihoon scrambled out the front door. Almost tumbling into Seungcheol, Jihoon's breath picked up. Chan continued to cry, breaking Jihoon's heart. Wonwoo rushed over hearing Jihoon huffing so fast. 

"Jihoon!! Breath!!!" 

If he kept this pace up he was going to have an anxiety attack. But Chan!

"Jihoon!! Breath and tell me what is wrong!!" Wonwoo rubbed soothing circles on his back but Jihoon did not react. Joshua put down his guitar and gathered the children. 

"Children, don't be scared, let's go back inside." 

Ushering and carrying the children back inside, he signaled to Seungcheol that he had the children. Seungcheol turned back to Jihoon and saw Chan in his bosom crying. 

"CH-Ch-cha-an h-hhe- he ...." Wonwoo stopped rubbing Jihoon's back and ran his fingers through Jihoon's hair, in hopes of calming the boy in any way. 

"F-f-..." 

"What is it?" Forcing himself to swallow, Jihoon huffed the last word. 

"Fever!" Wonwoo immediately tugged Chan out of Jihoon's hands and checked his temperature. Jihoon stood there shaking, eyes darting around rapidly, hands ripping at the skin of his fingers.

"He's burning!! We have to take him to the hospital!!" Turning to Seungcheol, Wonwoo smacked him in the arm. 

"Get you keys!!! Hurry!!" 

"Ah-..Yea!!" 

Seungcheol was smacked out of his stupor, raced back into the house and grabbed his keys. He has never taken care of children, only ever playing with some at the daycare he volunteered back in high school. Faced with this situation, he was also feeling panic rising in his system.

"Joshua!! Take care of the kids!!! Chan has a fever!!" He yelled. 

"Got it!" 

Rushing out the door, straight towards his car, he unlocked the door and opened the passenger side for Jihoon. 

"Wonwoo! You coming?" Wonwoo shook his head as he tucked Chan back into Jihoon's arms. 

"I'd better stay with the kids." 

"Understood." 

Fastening his seat belt, turning on the engine, Seungcheol sped off to the hospital with Jihoon and Chan. Jihoon held Chan close to him, the baby's face, not taking his eyes off. 

"It's okay, Chan. We're almost there." Seungcheol whispered. His words more for himself than the baby. Turning the last corner to the emergency room, he skid to a stop and hopped out of the car, following Jihoon who had already bolted once they stopped. Catching up to Jihoon, he stopped any nurse he could. 

"I need help!! My baby has a fever!!" A nurse finally stopped and led them to a bed. A doctor soon arrived to check Chan. Seungcheol chanted "please be okay" under his breath, pacing back and forth, eyes trained on the doctor. He pulled Jihoon further back to let the nurse and doctor do their job. Jihoon was going to fight him to stay near Chan when Seungcheol spoke to him. 

"The doctor knows what he is doing, that is why he's the doctor." Although he wasn't as close to Chan as Jihoon was, his heart hurt seeing the small baby wailing, wanting nothing but to keep him safe. The doctor finished checking Chan and instructed the nurse to syringe feed him fever reducer and nutrients before turning to Jihoon and Seungcheol. 

"Guardian? Please follow me to fill out the forms." 

Seungcheol would have done it, but he honestly didn't know enough about Chan to fill out the forms. Taking Jihoon in a side hug, he coaxed him out to the nurse station to fill out the forms. 

"It's okay, the nurse is with him. Do you want me to stay next to him?" Jihoon said nothing. His hands were shaking as he filled out the necessary information slowly. Seungcheol decided to stay next to him for a while before checking up on Chan. Jihoon filled out most of the form, but he stopped at the phone number section. Truth is, he didn't have a phone. The orphanage didn't give him allowance then, and now that he did have more money, he didn't feel the need to get one. Before, if he ever needed anything, there was still the landline. Since he wasn't always home, the landline number was out of question, there wouldn't be anyone to answer to phone. Tugging on Seungcheol's sleeve timidly, he nudged the form to Seungcheol. He is their older brother, his phone should do right? He didn't know their adopted parent's number anyway. Seungcheol looked down at the form and read the empty blanks. 

"Jihoon, you don't have a phone?" He shook his head no, ducking his head avoiding eye contact. Seungcheol felt a burst of warm on the inside, believing Jihoon trusted him enough to put his number on the emergency form. 

"Does Wonwoo have a phone? Why didn't you put his?" At that mention, Jihoon's face morphed as if a light bulb lit up and tried to take the form back but Seungcheol lifted it over his head. 

"No. You gave it to me to fill out, you can put him as second later." Seungcheol teased. Jihoon nodded and jogged back to Chan's bed. It was short lived but he did get Jihoon to calm down quite a bit. The nurse explained to him how to care for Chan as Seungcheol watched from afar. Jihoon really is a caring older brother. Seungcheol sighed as he handed the form over to the nurse. Jihoon could might as well be the other kids father or mother. Unlike his parents. Clearing his throat, he asked the nurse about Chan's situation. 

"After the medicine, what else should we do?" 

"Since the baby is still young, we couldn't give him fever reducer like adults and could only give him nutrients and a tiny dose of acetaminophen, diluted of course. He should probably stay one night for observation, and then you're free to go. After, you can read this guide to preventing illness and aftercare." 

The nurse gave him a pamphlet and he thanked the nurse. Turning back to Jihoon and Chan, he pulled out his phone and called Joshua. 

"Yes, the doctor gave him nutrients...mm...he has to stay the night...see you tomorrow. Bye, take care of the kids and Wonwoo. Thanks, yes bye."