CHAPTER 88

Angels and Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

       The third and final test to determine the king of Midnight would be held in the island called Veroveraar. To Dara, the island looked like a very large mining pit! Veroveraar was an island surrounded by a white sandy beach. But in the middle of this sandy beach was a blue circular hole. A continuous wide spiral staircase around the side of the hole provided the means to get down to the pit's base. The base contained dark reddish mud very similar to those often used in making pottery.

 

 

 

       The combatants would face each other in the pit, which had become known as the Arena. Cameras had been installed in every part of the pit. There were also several drones flying above to get aerial shots of the fight.

 

 

       Yang Hyun Suk had ransacked the Equipment and Supplies Department and had gotten himself a pair of wings. Since Jaejoong and Yang Hyun Suk were now both winged, it was expected that some fights would happen in mid-air.

 

 

       Some employees of Midnight had decided to watch the fight first hand. They secured their places along the wide spiral staircase. Most high ranked members of the Midnight Corporation had chosen to stay in their mansions and watch the fight in their living rooms.

 

 

       Junki had no choice in the matter since Dara had insisted they should watch the fight as near as possible.

 

 

       "You must be aware how dangerous fights like these are, Dara!" Junki scolded her quietly as he flew down the spiral staircase. He already had his servants prepare his chosen place in the Arena. The place he had chosen was near the bottom. It now had a cushion chair complete with a small refrigerator full of cold drinks and a food container filled with Junki's favorite sandwiches, Cemita De Milanesa and Shrimp Po Boy. Junki had every intention of being as comfortable as possible as he watched the fight.

 

 

       Upon reaching his chair, he noticed that only two members of the Midnight Council were physically present in the Arena. The repercussions of the result of the battle between Jaejoong and Yang Hyun Suk would be bloody. Yang Hyun Suk would definitely start killing all of those demons who had opposed and betrayed him. But if Jaejoong would win, the demons who braved to watch the fight with the king of Midnight would find themselves in the good grace of the latter.

 

 

       Junki knew that if Yang Hyun Suk won, he would be the first to die followed by the members of the Midnight Council, unless some of them had already made a secret deal with the deposed ruler. It's possible that the other members of the council had already fled and hid themselves.

 

 

       Junki wasn't worried for his safety. He had a perfect getaway plan and an arrangement with Lightside Inc. If Jaejoong lost, the Archangels would breach all protocols, and save him, thus preventing Yang Hyun Suk complete victory.

 

 

       On the other hand, if Jaejoong wins, then Junki would secure his throne and power in the Midnight Corp., and he could finally start building his own personal castle.

 

 

       Junki sat on his cushioned chair and looked down at the bottom of the arena. This fight could end up like the famous mud wrestling humans often engaged into where the combatants became covered with mud. Of course, if the combatants were two well-endowed y women in tiny bikinis, Junki would have enjoyed watching such a fight.

 

 

       "You have a very dirty mind, Junki," teased Dara.

 

 

       "Stop reading my thoughts!" he hissed. Dara was once again inside his body.

 

 

       "I don't have such ability. But I could easily surmise what you are thinking by your emotions. You have put a lot of protective spells around your mind, Junki, that it's impossible for me to read your thoughts even if I am capable of doing that. But I can easily feel your emotions."

 

 

       Blue who was quietly perched on Junki's left shoulder slid down to his lap and made himself comfortable there. His blue eyes grew large as he began to study the Arena.

 

 

       "Daddy?" he asked.

 

 

       "You will soon see your daddy once the fight begins. His arrival has to be announced first before he could appear in the Arena. It's called dramatic effect. He would probably appear on one end of the pit while Yang Hyun Suk would appear on the other end. Once the preliminary rules had been spoken by the referee‑"

 

 

       "There is a referee? I thought this is an all out fight? A fight to the death or until one becomes unable to fight anymore," interjected Dara.

 

 

       "The referee isn't there to stop the fight. He is there to determine if one combatant is capable of fighting or not anymore. Will you be quiet? I look like I am talking to myself!"

 

 

       "That's normal for demons, right? Behaving abnormally?" giggled Dara. "Besides if anyone notices you talking, they would assume that you are talking to Blue. Right, Blue?"

 

 

       The baby demon put a thumb's up! This surprised Junki. Did Blue actually hear his mother? Usually when Dara was inside another body, the only one who could hear her was the owner of said body. Junki found himself smiling. Jaejoong's son seemed to be developing useful traits he could use in the future. He patted the baby's head.

 

 

       "Grow quickly, Blue. If you become a capable warrior, I will quickly hire you to be among my security guards."

 

 

       "What if he follows after me?"

 

 

       "Then as an adviser!" A thought suddenly occurred to Junki. "You don't seem worried about your husband, Dara. Do you know something I don't? Could Jaejoong really win this fight?"

 

 

       For the first time, Dara became quiet.

 

 

       "Dara? You are hiding something from me."

 

 

       "Of course. Each to his own secret, Junki," she replied.

 

 

       Their conversation was interrupted by the loud booming voice of the referee. He introduced himself as Memphis and began explaining the rules of the Arena, which were no rules and no holds barred. Junki wasn't familiar with Memphis. The job of the referee must have been given to a minor demon so that in case he died during the fight, he could easily be replaced and would not affect the hierarchy of Midnight.

 

 

       Memphis finally showed himself. He was standing at the edge of the pit. He was an ordinary looking demon, red skinned, bespectacled and clawed. But he had a powerful voice. He acknowledged the presence of Junki and the other two members of the Midnight Council before continuing.

 

 

       "On the right corner is our king's champion, Jaejoong!"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter