CHAPTER 56

Angels and Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

"Jaejoong!" Minho exclaimed upon opening the front door of his mansion in Malibu.

 

 

"Hello, Minho. Nice ing mansion!" Jaejoong said as his eyes admired the house.

 

 

"Damn, its nice to be able to swear again. I am like a mute when I am near Dara."

 

Minho burst out laughing. After he finished his assignment as Jaejoong's guardian, hewas assigned in the Hollywood Bureau of Midnight Corp. Since then, he had been working as an executive producer for several TV stations. He was the one responsible for developing paranormal romance series for the networks. One could say he was the one who trained and inspired other executive producers to take risks in producingshows were demons, vampires, werewolves and other dark creatures often thought of as evil and relegated to being villains in the past to becoming heroes in recent years.

 

 

"How did you find out that I am here-" He stopped himself when he remembered that even as a half-demon, half-angel child, the moment Jaejoong put his mind into something,he always succeeded. Now as a full demon, Jaejoong had the ability to sense more quickly the presence of any demon in the vicinity. And since Jaejoong was very familiar with Minho's demon aura, he could easily identify him even from miles away.

 

 

"Are you busy, Minho?" Jaejoong asked

 

 

"I am always busy. But I am interested to know the reason for your sudden visit. This is the first time you have sought me after I finished my guardianship to you."

 

 

Jaejoong entered his house and sat himself on one of the stools near his wine bar. Minho took two glasses and poured one of his best wines in the house. He gave one glass to Jaejoong.

 

 

Jaejoong finished the wine in one gulp.

 

 

"I have two reasons," Jaejoong started to explain. "First, to thank you for saving me when I was fighting Sunny."

 

 

"Sunny?"

 

 

"That's the nickname I gave to that Kim Soo-hyun, since he so bright and always glowing that suddenly appeared out of nowhere."

 

 

Minho found himself laughing again. Jaejoong could always make him laugh even then. "I'm glad you retained your sense of humor, unlike your counterpart in Lightside."

 

 

"So, you are aware of his existence."

 

 

He nodded.

 

 

"We were still in the vicinity when you fought Sunny. Although Iris and I couldn't get past the barrier nor see what was happening inside, we both felt you fighting. When that explosion occurred and the barrier broke, we both felt your weakened aura. Imagine Hyesun's and my surprise when we detected your aura going into different directions. We thought you were literally split apart by that Soo-hyun!

 

"We decided to each follow one of your auras. I found you, badly wounded but alive and to my shock, a full demon! Hyesun found your angel counterpart. And of course, I decided to bring you to Midnight while Hyesun proceeded with your angel counterpart to Lightside."

 

 

Minho stopped talking and eyed Jaejoong.

 

 

"Who told you that I was the one who rescued you? That wasn't widely publicized because Midnight wanted to keep your existence a secret to Lightside. Which always is ing fails because Lightside did find out about you. Midnight in turn discovered about your wussy counterpart. But this truth is known only among the high officials of the corporations."

 

 

Jaejoong pointed to his right temple.

 

 

"I simply used common sense. I knew that you were still within the vicinity and you would always choose to save my demon self than the angelic part of me. And there was also the fact that you were the only one capable of saving me and making sure that Sunny would never find me. Iris would never do something like that to a demon."

 

 

"Since you already said the first reason for coming here, what's the second?"

 

 

He was intrigued.

 

 

"The copycat serial killings." Jaejoong became serious.

 

 

"I have lost many of my memories. Most of the details about those crimes remained vague in my mind. You being one of the investigators could provide me the full details."

 

 

Minho took out his android tablet and gave it to Jaejoong. Jaejoong quickly perused the contents of his tablet until he found Minho's report on the copycat killings. He was soon absorbing every information.

 

 

"My complete report is there as well as Hyesun's version of the events. If you want, I could send that to your e-mail or download it to a USB."

 

 

"No need. I have read and will remember all of them." Jaejoong put down the tablet on the bar.

 

 

"Now, tell me about the original killings. Let's start with the original Jack the Ripper since he was the most popular among the killers."

 

 

"The official or unofficial version?"

 

 

 "Both."

 

 

Minho finished his drink and poured another one for him and Jaejoong.

 

 

"The Jack the Ripper murders created so much fear because of the brutal way the victims were killed. Cut throats and missing internal organs shocked everyone during that time. A lot of people believed this wasn't the work of a human and attributed it to demons. Our Advertising and Promotions Department had a hell of a time trying to fix the image of demons and Midnight during that time. But despite the bad publicity, and to set the record straight, no demons were ever involved in such killings, the Midnight Corp. was really innocent of those crimes.

 

 

"But since we were the ones being blamed, Midnight conducted a thorough investigation of the crimes. But like the police authorities, we failed to pinpoint who was the real killer."

 

 

"You did have suspects?"

 

 

"Plenty. All of them humans. Because it was impossible for Lightside to perpetuate such heinous crimes, and the Siesmyres were simply pranksters and London then was too polluted for their kind. Since we couldn't find enough proof who among our suspects was the real Jack the Ripper, all those suspects were systematically killed by us. By the time we had gotten rid of all of them, the killings had stopped.

 

 

"Midnight closed the case since it was logical to think that the killings done by the psychotic human were over since we have killed off all the suspects."

 

 

"But every once in a while, similar killings began happening again, like the Il Monstro of Florence and the Zodiac Killer in America," commented Jaejoong.

 

 

"You seemed to have seen the connection." There was approval in Minho's voice.

 

 

"Those head serials killers like Jack the Ripper were never really apprehended.

 

 

That was the first clue that made me connect these killings. Second was that no one really found out the real identity of those killers? Although the victims in those serials killings were either stabbed or shot, I have a hunch that the reason those killings appeared as the work of a psychopath was because of Midnight." Jaejoong stared hard at Minho.

 

 

Minho didn't deny it.

 

 

"You're ing right! The victims of those serial killings had also lost their internal organs. The victims were killed in similar fashion like the Ripper murders. But Midnight Corp. can't afford to be blamed again. The higher-ups were allergic to bad publicity.

 

 

"So, the cleaning crew was created. They made sure that all those unsolved murders by the Monster of Venice, Zodiac and others would not be connected to Jack the Ripper. They arranged the crime scene and made sure that they would die differently from the ripper victims. The cleaning crews made it appear that those other victims from other countries were either killed through stabbing or shooting. In short, like how a human would murder another human. They even provided the missing internal organs and the reconstruction of their ripped bodies. Midnight thought that if we could make people believe that human weapons were the cause of those deaths, the killings wouldn't be blamed on supernatural beings or demons. The cleaning crew also made sure to kill off all suspects until the murders stopped."

 

 

"But you never really stopped these killings," interjected Jaejoong, "because after some time, the same killings began to occur again in other places. You thought they were simply copycats until this time when the murders began to happen simultaneously everywhere. The only difference this time around was the presence of my blood inevery scene."

 

 

"Which is why, you were assigned to investigate this by the Joint Investigating Committee of Midnight and Lightside. They had a hunch that the one behind the killings had a grudge on you."

 

 

Jaejoong frowned

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter