CHAPTER 20

Angels and Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Everything was blanketed by snow. Snow that had been here for ages and had stubbornly refused to melt despite the heat of the midday sun. And in continued defiance, the snow reflected back the sun's heat and rays to its source. It would hurt human eyes to stare directly at the white gleaming snow. But that wouldn't be the only problem to anyone stupid enough to stand on top of the mountains of Hokkaido. One would have to deal with the ever present chill from the frozen land and the roaring winds.

 

 

Hokkaido was an island in the northern part of Japan. The island's snow-covered mountains provided tourists with picturesque backgrounds to be added to their photo albums. But even the bravest and most adventurous tourist would not dare go to where Jaejoong and the two women were now standing. One could only reach this isolated valley if you had the gift of flight. But even birds dared not fly here because the strong winds would only smash their bodies to the snow-covered mountain sides.

 

 

Jaejoong looked down from the wide ledge where he stood. Below them was a small valley situated between two mountains.

 

 

Tiffany stood at the edge and pointed to something at the foot of one of the mountains. It looked like a black dot because of its distance from their position.

 

 

"That's the cave where the yentils have brought Nickhun," she explained. "But it is heavily guarded by dozens of yentils. You may have to fight through them to get inside the cave."

 

 

The shroud of invisibility used by demons had no effect on other demons or angels. Possessing both traits, Jaejoong was sure he could easily spot any yentil. His eyes were as sharp as the famous eyes of those celebrated eagles but even as he scanned every part of the valley below, he couldn't see the yentils.

 

 

"Where are the yentils?" he asked.

 

 

"They are snow demons, Jaejoong," said Dara who was standing beside him. "They could easily blend with the snow. Every piece of snow you see could possibly be a yentil. You should start learning all the different kinds of demon in Midnight as well as their powers," she firmly reminded him. "And do be careful when you go down there."

 

 

He turned to look at her.

 

 

"Do you plan to come down with me?"

 

 

She gave him an innocent smile.

 

 

"I'm just here for moral support. I am not a fighter like you. I am much more skilled in the art of negotiation. I don't think my well-prepared speech could help you out in a fight."

 

 

"I believe in your strength and power, Jaejoong!" said Tiffany with conviction. "You are much stronger than them. All you need to do is find that hidden strength inside you. Tapped into the strength given to you by your parents!"

 

 

Jaejoong stared at Tiffany. The words she used were the same ones he heard from Hyuna. Did it mean all demons believed he had this kind of powers and strength? He brushed aside such concerns. He would have enough time to contemplate on these things after he had rescued Nickhun.

 

 

He focused on the cave below them. A rescue plan for Nickhun began forming in his mind. He stepped on the edge, unfolded his wings and jumped.

 

 

He used his large wings to glide through the strong winds and slow his descent.

 

 

The lessons his guardian Hyesun had tried to ingrain in his mind came back to him.

 

 

According to her, to win in any fight, one must first learn all of the enemies' strengths and weaknesses. Such lesson was useless in the current situation since Tiffany had admitted during their flight to Hokkaido that her knowledge about the yentils' powers and fighting abilities were scant and that the only thing she knew was that yentils hide in the snow.

 

 

In such a situation, Jaejoong knew Minho's reckless tactics severely frowned upon by Hyesun would be the one he would need to use.

 

 

 

 

"Fight with everything you got! Then the moment you discover that they are much stronger than you, run away as fast as you can and protect your , boy!" advised Minho.

 

 

"That's cowardice!" said an exasperated Hyesun.

 

 

"If being a coward could save my life, then I am all for it! It is much more important for you to live, Jaejoong, than to die an honorable death. That way, you can heal, get strong and next time defeat and destroy your enemies!" Minho insisted.

 

 

 

 

The two guardians argued for two days because of their different opinions and tactics on how to best fight and destroy an enemy.

 

 

Jaejoong didn't need two days to decide. He would be following Minho's tactic this time. He had no intention of becoming a hero or dying for a man who was in this predicament because he couldn't accept the true nature of the woman he loved!

 

 

His feet finally touched the snow-covered ground. His Nike rubber shoes sank on the soft snow. He frowned. He should have worn boots. But since he couldn't change shoes anymore, his shoes must make the ultimate sacrifice for him.

 

 

He started heading to the cave. His senses were on full alert. His eyes carefully scanning everything around him. He knew that any moment now, the yentils could confront and attack him.

 

 

He slowly approached the cave. He was already near the entrance but the yentils still hadn't shown themselves. He couldn't hear any sound except for the wind's roar. And all he could feel was the cold. But he knew

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter