CHAPTER 57

Angels and Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

Whitechapel, London

 

 

 

The Jack the Ripper copycat killer never killed his victims on the exact date the real Jack the Ripper killed. But the place, the sequence of victims as well as the number of days he would kill again after the latest victim were the same. Because of these, the London police had an idea on when the copycat killer would again claim his victim. According to their calculations, tonight was the night he would kill for the last time. Mary Jane Kelly was believed to be the last victim of Jack the Ripper and someone would be chosen to replicate her death tonight.

 

 

The police had their men stationed on Whitechapel specially on Dorset St. where Mary Jane Kelly was killed. There were also a lot of security cameras and motion detectors in every corner. No one could enter Whitechapel without alerting the police who were prepared to remain in the area until the time of death of the last victim had passed.

 

 

But all of these modern equipment were useless in detecting the presence of Jaejoong and minho.

 

 

"The authorities had finally wizened up and detected the pattern the copycat killer was using," mused Minho as he and Jaejoong stood watch.

 

 

"During the time when the copycat killed his third victim, security was also beefed up like this. They also brought all their gadgets. But in spite of all of their equipment and precautions, they still failed to save the victim and catch the killer.

 

 

"Although this wasn't in the official reports, I found out what really happened during that time. They cordoned this place, preventing anyone, potential victim or killer from entering. Such precautions were made after the death of the second victim. The second victim was an undercover policewoman. She was pretending to be a hooker in order to catch the killer. It resulted to her becoming victim number two and to the police authorities closing Whitechapel to the public.

 

 

"They thought then that if no one would be able to enter or reach the place where the original third victim was killed by Jack the Ripper, the copycat killer wouldn't be able to kill anyone. They also installed several CCTV's in the vicinity where the murder was to occur. But their plan and hard work came to nothing.

 

 

"Nothing went according to plan. Because at the exact hour when the third victim of Jack the Ripper was found in the past, the authorities also found the copycat's victim. She had the same exact wounds as the victim in the past. But their CCTV's were only able to record the appearance of the victim, never the copycat killer."

 

 

Jaejoong noticed two police constables walking toward them. The men were among several constables assigned to guard Dorset St. During the era of Jack the Ripper in 1888, Dorset St. was a bad neighborhood. Most of the streets were inhabited by thugs, es and the destitute. Crime was normal. Theft and killings regularly occurred. But despite this, the Jack the Ripper murders still shocked the residents of Dorset St. because of its sheer brutality and the mutilation of the victims' bodies. Mary Jane Kelly lived in Dorset St., and her body was found thoroughly mutilated, her organs gone.

 

 

Dorset St. today was full of office buildings and warehouses. But its residents, like those in the past, were still shocked and frightened because of the ongoing murders.

 

 

"There's a theory floating around that the killer was killing his victims in another place and was simply using Whitechapel as his dumping ground," said Minho as he eyed the two approaching constables.

 

 

The two policemen stood on almost the exact spot where Mary Kelly's house used to be. A building office had now replaced her house. The building was closed and the police had made sure that no civilian had remained inside. The two men remained unaware that Jaejoong and Minho were just nearby.

 

 

The two constables began chatting to kill time like as Minho and Jaejoong with the exception that fear could easily be heard from the lawmen's voices.

 

 

"Don't you think it's about time that people find out about Midnight and Lightside?" asked Jaejoong.

 

 

"That issue was discussed when the Treaty was being created between Lightside and Midnight. But in the end, it was unanimously decided that it was more important for the humans to remain unaware of the whole truth. Midnight believed that if the humans would really know the truth about us and that we are not simply the product of the imagination or the offshoots of religions, there will be polarizing among the humans."

 

 

"Polarizing?"

 

 

"Those who are evil will instantly go to Midnight, and those who are good will instantly go to Lightside. Neither of the two corporations would have a chance to change the minds and beliefs of the people. Humans are strange creatures. As long as they do not know the whole truth about something, they can be easily convinced to believe in something else. Lightside and Midnight would have an easier chance of swaying a human's belief toward themselves in such a situation. There is also the fact that humans tend to believe more in things that they don't actually see and understand. So, that provision about preventing all humans from learning the whole truth was written down on the Treaty. Each company could only give minor hints about their existence to the humans. The humans would be free to interpret or imagine what those hints really mean."

 

 

"Humans have such wild and powerful imaginations and most of the time, they believed in what their emotions tell them than logical facts. Which make them very fascinating creatures," commented Jaejoong.

 

 

"I heard, the corporations have officially made you a prince," said Minho, changing the subject.

 

 

"But you would still have to go through the rituals at a later date."

 

 

Jaejoong grimaced.

 

 

"Never liked that title. By the way, why was I made into a prince while my counterpart in Lightside remained in the level of an apprentice?"

 

 

"Because Midnight is quick to award their employees who had shown strength and power, unlike Lightside. Those angels have a much stricter rule regarding promotions and awards."

 

 

"Office politics?" he inquired.

 

 

"Of course! You should be used by now how things work in Midnight. You also need to be wary. Many of the members of the Midnight Council are thinking and planning to use you to further their ambition. That is why most of them agreed to give you the rank of a prince, to get to your good side. They mistakenly believed that by officially giving you the rank of a prince, they could turn you into their ally. Those s are so wrong," chuckled Minho.

 

 

"If they only knew how stubborn and set in your ways you are, they wouldn't have bothered."

 

 

Jaejoong grinned. Minho still remembered everything about him. But he was right about him. And there was of course the deal Jaejoong made with Junki which prevented him from supporting any demon.

 

 

"Did you know that we, the Midnight Corporation, were the one who taught the humans about politics?" Minho bragged.

 

 

"Lightside gave the humans religion to gain more souls. We taught them the art of politics and ever since then, they started creating kings for themselves which have now evolved to the creation of presidents and prime ministers. Politics have been helping Midnight gain more supporters and souls."

 

 

Jaejoong suddenly saw a woman walking toward them.

 

 

"Didn't the police put a blockade to prevent anyone from entering Whitechapel? How was she able to bypass all of that?"

 

 

"Maybe she's one of those undercover cops. Another trap to lure out the killer. Which is a very stupid move since their last undercover cop got killed."

 

 

The woman walked past them and the constables. Jaejoong and Minho quickly noticed that the policemen never noticed the woman. There was also something strange about the woman. She still smelled human, but there's something else.

 

 

"The smell of death!" muttered Minho.

 

 

It also became apparent to Jaejoong that the woman no longer had any soul.

 

 

They followed the woman. She directly walked up to the spot where the last victim of Jack the Ripper was found. Then she started convulsing and jer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter