CHAPTER 72

Angels and Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

The meeting being held in the topmost floor of the Midnight headquarters was somber. The Midnight Headquarters appeared as a blue and white nine‑storey building in the heart of Washington D.C. Capitol Hill could be seen from the northeast windows of the headquarters.

 

 

       All twelve of the members of the Dark Council, who looked like businessmen in well‑tailored suits with the bodies of athletes, listened intently to Junki's report. Junki was both acting as the thirteenth member of the council and Midnight's Ambassador. He was also the one tasked to investigate the incident regarding the creation of the dark Siesmyre.

 

 

       "The treaty between the Siesmyres and our company remained intact. She had accepted all of the compensations I offered."

 

 

       "Did she believe that a minor demon was responsible for such transgressions?" inquired Head Councilman Jinu.

 

 

       "Yes," Junki answered. "She had no reason not to believe that. Though she remained suspicious of my actions. The family of the low‑ranked demon who sacrificed his life was also properly compensated."

 

 

       Junki turned toward the large video before him. The video wall was activated. The face of Lee Jongsuk appeared.

 

 

       " Lee Jongsuk was the one who was really responsible for the creation of the dark Siesmyre. He is a human with a grey soul. He is also a full time archeologist. As to how he discovered the existence of the relic that bound the powers of the former king of Midnight, I still have no information. Suffice it to say that he found the relic and is now trying to open it. The release of the former Midnight King's power would cause such a catastrophe in the world of humans. That power could create numerous and huge tornadoes and hurricanes all over the world which could devastate half of the human population. Since that hasn't happened yet, it is safe to conclude that Lee Jongsuk has failed to open the relic.

 

 

       "But with the creation of the dark Siesmyre, it also became apparent that Lee Jongsuk had started to learn how to use the small power that emanates from the relic. We could say that the powers he acquired from the relic are equal to the powers of an ordinary minion."

 

 

       "What proof have you found to conclude that Lee Jongsuk was indeed the creator of the dark Siesmyre?" inquired Prince Gary.

 

 

       Lee Jongsuk's image was replaced by a video. From the angle it was taken, it was clear that it was from a satellite.

 

 

       The video showed a human walking into a forest and meeting the Siesmyre. The encounter only lasted in seconds before the human started walking away. But the Siesmyre had begun changing and soon transformed into a dark Siesmyre. Plants and animals began dying around it.

 

 

       Junki paused the video.

 

 

       "Though we couldn't see his face, his height and body weight had been calculated by our researchers as the same as that of a human named Lee Jongsuk. The color of his skin, hair and other physical attributes also matched Lee Jongsuk. After determining his identity, we tried to search for him and thus discovered that he was the one who dug up the relic in Australia."

 

 

       "How did the human's satellite manage to record him when we couldn't even find where he is right now? We even had to make a deal with the Lightside so that they would also start searching for this human!" scowled Prince Soohyuk.

 

 

       "This was the only record and images we found about Lee Jongsuk since he acquired the relic. After his encounter with the Siesmyre, the satellite could no longer track him."

 

 

       "Are you saying that this was intentional?" asked Head Councilman Jinu.

 

 

       "I believe, councilmen, that the relic is controlling Lee Jongsuk. He now serves the unrealized ambitions of the former king of Midnight. Has anyone of you read or watched the Lord of the Rings?" Junki looked around the conference room. All twelve councilmen were sitting on their chairs on the rectangular obsidian table.

 

 

       Several councilmen nodded.

 

 

       "Think of the relic as the ring that Frodo found. That relic transformed Gollum into this obsessed creature, and it also slowly started affecting Frodo's mind. Only a demon would be able to withstand the power of the Midnight King, and Lee Jongsuk being human would eventually grow mad, and his body destroyed as he continued to hold on to the relic. If he did succeed in opening the relic, a demon, one of us must be prepared to absorb it before it destroys the human world."

 

 

       "That power drove our former king, Yang Hyun Suk, into destruction," Head Councilman Jinu said in grim tones. "That power clouded his mind and almost annihilated our race! No ordinary demon could absorb that power into his body, only a powerful one. And if he did manage to absorb it, he himself would become like Yang Hyun Suk himself. You were not yet born during that Great War, Junki, but it took thirteen of the strongest demons of Midnight to overpower him. Even that wasn't enough. Though we have destroyed his body, his power lived on. We had to ask the help of Lightside to contain it. And fifty angels of different classes had to assemble and simultaneously use their powers to create a relic that would contain that demonic power!"

 

 

       "We can sacrifice a minor demon, but sending a powerful demon to absorb that power could prove dangerous to our company," commented Prince Xin.

 

 

       "We could send, Jaejoong," Junki suggested.

 

 

       "Jaejoong?!" blurted Prince Woobin. "That's even more dangerous!"

 

 

       "Councilmen, he had proven to us all how strong his mind is. He was able to control his two natures and merged them without turning into the monster we feared. He also lacked ambition. He was given the chance to gain several powers, yet he rejected all of them and remained as my subordinate."

 

 

       "That may change once King Yang Hyun Suk 's powers are inside his body! He might even want, hell demand that we turn him into our king!"

 

 

       "Jaejoong is not like Gollum or Frodo because he has Dara," Junki argued."Sending him to get this power would also ensure that he would be protected by Dara and the Siesmyres. If he did become like King Yang Hyun Suk, I am quite certain that Dara would bring him back to his senses."

 

 

       "Even if he never gets affected by this power, he would still become the most powerful demon in Midnight!" insisted Prince Bobby.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter