CHAPTER 9

Angels and Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lee Junki opened the French windows of his condo unit and let the sunlight in. It was widely believed among humans that creatures of the dark or those belonging to the Midnight Corp. were afraid of the sun. That sunlight could harm and kill them. Junki knew it was total bull invented by writers and perpetuated by classical horror movies. Thankfully, their Promotion and Advertising Department was now erasing this ridiculous belief. But then, if an angel or a demon would be directly thrown into the sun, Junki was quite sure both would burn and turn to ashes. Angels and demons were not immortal. They were just long-lived and hard to kill. And like all creatures, they were not all-powerful. They could never stop the coming of night and day. And when they float or fly, they never defied gravity, they simply use the powers in their wings to counter gravity. Midnight and Lightside employees still followed the laws of nature, but they could just bend it a little.

 

 

Midnight had long since known that the sun was simply a huge ball of fire made of hydrogen and helium and though powerful was never a god nor sentient as believed by ancient humans. The Midnight Corp. in its own way had to fight these silly human beliefs, one of them being that the sun moved around the planets and not the other way around. Midnight was never afraid to use truth to further their cause. They inspired and supported human thinkers and scientists during the Renaissance and used the truth about the sun and the planets in the solar system to stain the reputation of the Catholic Church whose close-minded leaders had refused to acknowledge the truth of science.

 

 

They could have succeeded in destroying that religion if not for the intervention of Lightside Inc. who had the church leaders admit their mistake and even embraced the truth about the solar system.

 

 

Junki's vacation home was located on the twenty-fourth floor of the Majestic building, located in Hillview Ave. London. He had always preferred high and sunny places, unlike most of his brethren who preferred the cool underground basements. Another reason was practicality. Flying from ground level would consume a lot of energy, while jumping off from high places into the air, wouldn't even need any effort.

 

 

The cold gust of wind entered Junki's unit. Such wind would provide good lift for his wings if he decided to fly today. But he had no intention of doing that today. This was his vacation, and he preferred staying home and resting both his mind and body. He desperately needed rest! He thought being the ambassador for Midnight Corporation would be easy. That the job only entailed simple negotiation and fixing minor problems between Midnight and Lightside. Since he had the brains and the cunning necessary to outwit the Virtue angel, Bae Yong Jun, he believed being an ambassador would be a breeze.

 

 

He was wrong. Because the negotiations and meetings with Bae Yong Jun only took up ten percent of the time needed to do his job. The seventy percent was devoted to reading, dissecting and analyzing the hundreds of petitions from Midnight employees that seemed endless! His office had to go paperless since such petitions if converted into paper would not fit in their Armistice Department. The twenty percent of his time was used in the investigations of all valid petitions and the gathering of all important evidences he would need in order to support the petitions he had to hand over to Bae Yong Jun. He needed another ten percent in order to peruse and understand the petitions given to him by the angel.

 

 

For every regular meeting Junki had with Bae Yong Jun, there were always exchanges of petitions and arguments. If he brought ten petitions against Lightside employees, only two of these would be satisfactorily resolved. The rest needed to be studied more or strengthened by more evidences. Because of this, Junki often found himself working twenty-four-seven! No wonder those who survived this position became well versed in the art of time management and negotiations.

 

 

Junki set aside all thoughts about work. He was on vacation after all. The wind played with his hair. He had allowed it to grow on a whim, and it now reached down to his waistline. He couldn't help but smile when he remembered how his long hair had become a constant source of irritation for Bae Yong Jun. He was using every trick in order to distract Bae Yong Jun and therefore get more of his own petitions accepted.

 

 

He scanned the smog-filled city of London before him. His keen eyes soon spotted the black dot in the eastern horizon. It was flying toward his condominium building. It was Jaejoong.

 

 

Junki had already felt the half-demon's presence ever since he entered the vicinity of the city. He had waited until Jaejoong had gotten several blocks near his residence before he opened his French windows.

 

 

The last time Junki saw Jaejoong in person was when the half-demon was just a baby. But Junki silently watched and observed Jaejoong as he grew up specially when he began his apprenticeship under Countess Hyori. The countess was the first and only one to file her intention to train the half-demon under her wings to the Dark Council. Most of the department heads of Midnight were wary about training the half-demon because of the problems the department heads of Lightside had to deal with because of Jaejoong. When Countess Hyori volunteered, everyone heaved a sigh of relief. It was clear the countess was planning something for Jaejoong.

 

 

Jaejoong coming to Junki today was both puzzling and interesting. Junki had heard several days ago that Jaejoong was looking for him. The half-demon even went to his office to ask for an appointment. But since he was on vacation, his secretary refused to give Jaejoong an appointment. Junki could have personally called Jaejoong or sent for him, but he wanted to test first if the young half-demon could track him down.

 

 

Junki wasn't easy to find since he valued his vacation so much. He had made sure that anyone who wanted to see him would have a very hard time locating his whereabouts. In fact, only those persistent enough ever succeeded in locating him when he was on vacation. He had installed spells and counter spells around his condo to hide his presence to both denizens of Midnight and Lightside. Even Bae Yong Jun who had a direct line to him wouldn't be able to track him down easily.

 

 

But Jaejoong managed to find him. The half-demon must possess some detective skills and unwavering determination.

 

 

Jaejoong flew around the Majestic building three times before he finally landed on the terrace of Junki's unit. The dizzy stones Junki used to protect his residence had only temporarily confused the half-demon. The dizzy stones had the capability to wreck havoc in everyone's sense of direction. Only those with a strong will and determination could bypass the effect of the stones. Junki wasn't surprised Jaejoong was able to overcome the effect of the stones; he was after all the son of two of the most powerful warriors that had ever lived and died during his lifetime. The strength of Jaejoong's will was already a given.

 

 

"Ambassador Lee Junki?" Jaejoong asked when his eyes focused on him.

 

 

"Yes. And what brings the apprentice of Countess Hyori to my vacation home?" he inquired.

 

 

"Countess Hyori had nothing to do with this."

 

 

Lee Junki sat on his armchair and studied Jaejoong. The young half-demon's self- assured demeanor and powerful aura immediately reminded him of Prince Won Bin. But his handsome and almost angelic features certainly came from his mother, Archangel Na-young. No wonder women, even those of his kind, found him irresistible. Won Bin and Na-young created an almost perfect physical specimen.

 

 

Junki snapped his fingers. Ordinary human eyes would only see two cups of coffee on a tray floating out of the door of his kitchen. But Jaejoong's dark eyes obviously saw his buxom demon assistant, Nana, carrying the tray. Nana liked surrounding himself with beautiful things. And Nana was no exception. She possessed the body of a star and since she was only wearing a transparent apron, her assets were on full display for Jaejoong who reddened and became uncomfortable. Such behavior from the half-demon was clearly a reflex of his angelic nature. But his secret glance to Nana was his demon part asserting itself. Demons had always appreciated because to them, a body was a natural work of art.

 

 

 

 

Nana took one of the cups and offered it to his visitor. Jaejoong shook his head.

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter