CHAPTER 24

Angels and Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Tiffany staggered back when Jaejoong's hand exploded with light. She used the sleeve of her kimono to shade her eyes from the blinding light.

 

 

Dara couldn't even blink. She kept staring at Jaejoong. Her mind was asking if what she was seeing now was the truth or another of Jaejoong's illusion.

 

 

 

 

The illusion Jaejoong created to fool Prince Bumsoo a moment ago also affected her and Tiffany. She really thought Jaejoong was about to die even though she realized it was impossible for Jaejoong to continue getting up after being repeatedly crushed by the demon's foot.

 

 

Prince Bumsoo being affected by such an illusion was normal, he was too stupid to know the truth. Dara had always thought she was smart enough not to be affected by illusions, but she was also fooled by Jaejoong's double. Or was it because Jaejoong's illusion was just too powerful for her mind to ignore?

 

 

 

 

Another reason crossed her mind. Was she affected because she was now too emotionally involved in his fight? Illusions became much more effective when emotions were involved.

 

 

"This is what we had been waiting for!" blurted Tiffany when her eyes had adjusted to the bright light. She was now peeking from the sleeve of her kimono. "We always knew that Jaejoong possessed angelic powers!"

 

 

Below them, Prince Bumsoo halted as he too was temporarily blinded by the light. Dara knew that such light could only come from the powers of Lightside. Only their light could have such an effect on demons.

 

 

Dara noticed a shape forming inside the light in Jaejoong's hand. She began to see a golden crossbow!

 

 

"That weapon only belongs to the Lightside!" Prince Bumsoo said in disbelief. "It's impossible for someone with demon blood to touch or even use a Lightside weapon!"

 

 

Jaejoong laughed.

 

 

"I have the blood and power of my mother, the Archangel Na-young. And because of that, I have every right to inherit her weapon!" Jaejoong hand gripped the crossbow handle. Using his teeth, he drew the string until it locked at the nock point. He aimed the crossbow in the direction where Prince Bumsoo stood.

 

 

The giant demon's remaining eye widened.

 

 

"A pure and innocent heart is needed in order to create an arrow of light from that weapon. You do not have that, Jaejoong!" insisted Prince Bumsoo though he began to back away.

 

 

Two blazing arrows of light slowly appeared in the crossbow!

 

 

Tiffany started jumping up and down with demonic glee!

 

 

"Kill him, Jaejoong! Kill him!" she screamed.

 

 

Jaejoong let the arrows of light flew toward Prince Bumsoo! Fear appeared on the features of the once invincible giant. Bumsoo turned back and ran away from the arrows! His speed enabled him to leave his position even before the arrows arrived.

 

 

But the arrows didn't stop. They pursued the running demon. The arrows kept up with Prince Bumsoo. No matter where the demon went, the arrows followed. Prince Bumsoo couldn't even attempt to dodge the arrows. He tried using an uprooted tree to deflect the speeding arrows, but the arrows simply avoided the tree and continued straight toward him. The arrows seemed to have minds of their own as they continued a trajectory to the prince's head!

 

 

The arrows' speed increased and before the giant could fly out of the valley, they caught up to him. Two arrow tips struck the head of Prince Bumsoo.

 

 

The prince's huge body remained stock still, paralyzed by the arrows. No scream or any form of sound came out from his mouth. But his color began to change. The blue of his skin faded and turned grayish in color.

 

 

Then a crack appeared on his shoulder. Followed by another crack on his left thigh. Before long, every part of his body started falling apart! Pieces of his body began dropping to the ground. But before each piece reached the ground, it turned to ash and was quickly swept away by the cold wind.

 

 

Tiffany started shouting!

 

 

"He did it! He did it! They should know about this new development in Jaejoong's power!" she squealed in delight before she started running away.

 

 

Dara ignored the yuki-onna. Her attention was only focused on Jaejoong. Everything had ceased to exist except him. Even if she wanted to, she couldn't turn her gaze away from him.

 

 

Jaejoong was still clutching the crossbow. He was walking toward the spot where Prince Bumsoo once stood. He slung the crossbow on one shoulder, bent forward and picked something from the ground.

 

 

He stood straight, and glanced up to where Dara was standing. Their eyes met, and he smiled.

 

 

Dara blinked! She couldn't explain what was happening to her. But for the first time, she really saw Jaejoong! The real Jaejoong. Something inside her leaped with joy. Even when all the odds were against him, he still survived and defeated a powerful and dangerous adversary! And he did it by using a weapon only angels could use!

 

 

He was bloodied and wounded. He had also lost an arm. But Dara couldn't see these imperfections. What she was seeing now was a man, a being who was intelligent, powerful and courageous! Jaejoong could have escaped or run away, but he chose to stay and finish a fight impossible to win.

 

 

Dara spread her wings and jumped from the ledge. She flew directly to where Jaejoong was standing.

 

 

"So, who is this blue giant anyway?" he asked as she drew near him.

 

 

She ignored his question, framed his face with her hands and kissed him deeply on the mouth. It was a kiss Dara made sure he would never forget for the rest of his life.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Archangel Na-young's crossbow was currently hanging on the wall of the Armory. The light surrounding it before had disappeared. The weapon had returned to its natural state. But the three angels who witnessed everything remained quiet.

 

 

Seven, the head of the Armory Department, finally spoke.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter