CHAPTER 42

Angels and Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

The Solaris Party won by a landslide. Every candidate from the party was able to beat their opponents. Because of this, a victory party for the supporters of the party was currently being held in the university's basketball auditorium.

 

 

And Jaejoong was the one paying for all the expenses. He was at least thankful that he was earning a lot from the jobs brought by the Siesmyres. By human standards, one could say that he was a millionaire. But if truth be told, Dara was much richer than him several times over. The only reason he was paying for this party was because she beat him in a game of rock, paper and scissors.

 

 

He poured another punch in his plastic cup. He had several cups already, but even though the punch had wine, he wasn't worried he'd get drunk. Even if he drank several pints of pure wine, he would still remain sober. He, like every employee of Midnight and Lightside, was immune from the effects of wine.

 

 

He had only gotten drunk once. It was when he mistakenly thought the wine the Refrar clan of the Siesmyres had handed to him was ordinary grape wine. The wine, if it could even be called that, was something else. It affected his mind and emotions resulting to the loss of all his inhibitions. He became like a drunken fool. Every time he recalled his dancing on top of a barrel, he felt embarrassed and mortified. He became the Refrar clan's source of entertainment during that day.

 

 

The worst part of that experience was, his dancing was recorded courtesy of his friend, Yabu. And since Yabu like all Siesmyres were naturally mischievous and gadget savvy, his dancing video was quickly uploaded in YouTube! All the employees of Lightside and Midnight were able to watch his crazy dance!

 

 

He was at least thankful that the video couldn't be accessed by humans. Unlike the denizens of the supernatural realms who feared and respected his fighting abilities, the humans who knew him were unaware of his true nature. These humans would not hesitate in teasing him mercilessly if ever they saw the video.

 

 

His thoughts were interrupted by Minzy, Dara's party mate who won the position of the Student Council Secretary. She stopped beside the buffet table where Jaejoong had decided to hang around.

 

 

"Don’t worry, Jaejoong, starting tomorrow you will have Dara again all to yourself. You have at least a month to keep her to yourself because next month she will be officially assuming her position as Student Council President." Minzy smiled. "But if you are going to be nice to me, I could make sure that your date with her would always be included in her schedule."

 

 

Jaejoong laughed. He glanced toward Dara. She was surrounded by a lot of people. Most were congratulating her on her win. Others were asking for her autograph and wanted to talk to her.

 

 

They came here together but because of the many students who wanted to talk to her, they got separated. He headed toward the buffet table while Dara walked and talked to everyone inside the auditorium. Jaejoong had a suspicion that he would only be able to come near her again once the party was over.

 

 

But he was already used to this situation. Dara had always liked the attention. She always attracted all kinds of attention wherever she went. And she knew how to handle both admirers and detractors. He was her complete opposite when it came to dealing with public attention. He preferred peace and quiet. Far from any admirers or detractors. He already had enough attention to last him a lifetime.

 

 

Ever since he was born, all the attention of the angels from Lightside and the demons from Midnight were focused on him. His birth was an anomaly, and he had always been labeled as a dangerous monster that had to be controlled and guarded.

 

 

His dark eyes suddenly noticed a white pigeon entering one of the open windows in the upper walls of the auditorium. To normal human eyes, the pigeon who had settled on one of the beams of the roof simply got curious of the noise and light coming from the party.

 

 

But Jaejoong noticed the signal the bird's grey left wing was making. The pigeon was clearly telling Jaejoong to follow him.

 

 

"You must excuse me, Minzy. I need to go to the toilet. I think I have drunk too many cups of punch."

 

 

But Jaejoong didn't go to the toilet. He went outside the auditorium. He quickly found the pigeon with the grey left wing perched on a branch of one of the trees growing around the campus. He recalled how he met this pigeon who had introduced himself as Yabu one year ago. Yabu was the one who told him about the race of the Siesmyres whom humans referred to as magical creatures.

 

 

"Are you going to update me again on how many views my dancing video got this time?" he barked.

 

 

"If you want to know how many millions had viewed-?"

 

 

"No, I am not interested!" he retorted. "What are you doing here, Yabu?"

 

 

"A Tarosian baby is about to be born, Jaejoong."

 

 

He nodded. He understood what he had to do. Ever since humans entered the industrial age, pollution had begun spreading around the world, and the Siesmyres started dying. Many of the Siesmyres became sterile and unable to bear children. And children born from pollution-affected parents were weak and sickly. None of the babies survived childhood, some even died soon after birth. Last year, the Siesmyres discovered that Jaejoong somehow possessed the ability to give immunity to newborn Siesmyres. Because of this, they made a business contract with him. He was called whenever a Siesmyre was about to be born.

 

 

"Then, what are we waiting for? Let’s go!" He quickly scanned his surrounding before rendering himself invisible. He then unfolded his batwings, and launched himself into the night sky.

 

 

Yabu quickly followed him. Despite the Siesmyres' size, Jaejoong had a suspicion that Yabu could easily win if they had a flying race. Yabu also belonged to the Finder Unit. And any Siesmyre accepted to be part of that unit was exceptional. According to Yabu, only the best Siesmyre was allowed to become part of the unit.

 

 

"Aren't you going to say goodbye to Dara?" inquired Yabu. "She would be irked if she discovered you have left her."

 

 

"She is too busy to notice that I am gone. I will be back before the party ends, and she wouldn't even notice I left. Besides there is no time to waste, the life of this baby is much more important than her displeasure."

 

 

"We will be using the Sanctuary so we could get to Elder Duk Hwa's village faster."

 

 

 

 

 

Jaejoong grimaced. The Sanctuary was a magical pathway. There were eight Sanctuary portals all over the world that every Siesmyre could use as a shortcut. The portals could take the Siesmyres wherever they wanted to go. It was the Siesmyres' version of a teleportation system. Jaejoong had used the Sanctuary several times. And he had gotten himself lost in its maze-like corridors twice. If you weren't a Siesmyre, there's a hundred percent chance you would get lost without a Siesmyre guiding you to the right path.

 

 

"Stick close to me this time, Jaejoong. I don't want you getting lost again."

 

 

"I have learned my lesson, and I will never take my eyes off you again. You have a tendency to disappear and dart into those twisting corridors."

 

 

The Finder laughed.

 

 

"It is because you fly too slow."

 

 

"I have to! Those corridors are tricky and if I fly too fast, I could end up colliding with the walls and destroying them. The Elders would not be happy if they discover that Sanctuary had several new holes." In the two times Jaejoong had gotten himself lost inside the Sanctuary, he spent hours looking for the right path. Yet he never once succeeded in leaving Sanctuary on his own. Yabu always had to find him. He now believed that the Elders had casted some spell on Sanctuary to purposely cloud the minds of non- Siesmyres so they would always lose their way inside.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The village of the Tarosians was situated inside the large crater of an inactive volcano. The volcano was one of the large mountains that could be found in the northern part of Russia. Like all the clans of the Siesmyres, the Tarosians

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter