CHAPTER 55

Angels and Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

Lightside Realm

 

 

 

Jaejoong's training with Tae-hee concluded yesterday. Today, Archangel Gong-Yoo had become his new instructor. Gong-Yoo was considered to be among Lightside's best warriors and his weapon of choice was a seven-foot long spear. Jaejoong learned that Archangel Gong-Yoo's techniques of attack were fast and precise. But he only had two types of attack. After fighting the Archangel for several minutes in the amphitheater, Jaejoong had discovered that he could now predict the kind of attack the Archangel would use by simply studying the movements of his feet.

 

 

The Archangel's first attack mode would involve direct assault using his spear. But that was a feint because his true attack was a two-hit combination that would involve his elbow and a powerful hook kick. Jaejoong had suffered through that technique minutes ago. The angel's feet were in constant motion as he attacked. He never stood still. The second attack mode involved something that surprised and awed Jaejoong. It was an attack where Archangel Gong-Yoo would allow his opponent to believe that he had successfully deflected the spear's attack only to be surprised by the angel's next move. Archangel Gong-Yoo would then let go of his spear and grab the weapon of his opponent and quickly used it to attack. He would do it with such speed, his opponent barely had time to think before he would find himself wounded or flat on the ground. The sign that he would use this attack was when his knees would bend slightly, bracing himself securely on the ground. It would soon be followed by his quick moves that would render his opponent weaponless.

 

 

Jaejoong now saw Archangel Gong-Yoo bent his knee and braced himself. He was going to use the second attack mode. And Jaejoong was ready. He used his shield to deflect the Archangel's incoming spear. As he had guessed, his shield was quickly taken away from his hands. He started to use a counterattack to stop the angel. But the angel was moving with such speed, there was no time to finish his counterattack! Though Jaejoong knew what attack was coming, the angel's speed and precise movements quickly foiled his plan.

 

 

Jaejoong found himself again, for the eighth time, on his back after the Archangel struck him with his own shield.

 

 

Whatever he learned during his training with Archangel Tae-hee before had become useless against Archangel Gong-Yoo's skills and speed. Archangel Tae-hee used her great strength and the element of surprise to strike down her opponents. She was capable of phasing in and out of her opponent's vision. What Jaejoong learned from that training was how to sense her approach and attack to be able to dodge and counterattack effectively. With Archangel Gong-Yoo, there was no surprise. Jaejoong knew what the Archangel was going to do, he was just way too slow to prevent it or even dodge it.

 

 

 

Thankfully, since both of them were using Lightside weapons, both of them were immune to the devastating effects those weapons had to other creatures. Jaejoong only collected minor bruises during his trainings. But if he still had his demon blood inside him, he would have already received lethal injuries all over his body or worst, been decapitated and turned into ashes.

 

 

Jaejoong pulled himself up and prepared himself for the Archangel's next attack. He realized the angel would be using his second mode of attack again. Jaejoong only had his sword this time. The Archangel lunged.

 

 

But Jaejoong was ready this time. He used all of his strength to grip his sword tighter, forcing the Archangel to pull harder to take the sword away from him. As Archangel Gong-Yoo exerted more effort in taking away his sword, Jaejoong suddenly let go of the sword. The Archangel lost his balance! Jaejoong made his move. He released a roundhouse kick straight into the Archangel's face.

 

 

Jaejoong's kick threw the Archangel into the end of the amphitheater. If Jaejoong still had his demon blood, he would have been laughing with demonic glee by now.

 

 

But he was in no mood to laugh. The truth was, he was furious. His demon counterpart had been continually embarrassing and demeaning him in front of Dara since he decided to remain with her as her husband. But Jaejoong couldn't deny the truth. With his angel body, he was incapable of making love to Dara like a man.

 

 

Despite his anger, he could still understand the demon's behavior. He was after all a part of him before. In fact, the demon was also him. It was useless and frustrating to be angry at one's own self. As an angel, he knew it was wrong for him to feel regret and envy because his demon self still had all of his male parts intact. But he couldn't suppress his emotions.

 

 

The best thing he could do to relieve himself of this anger was to channel it toward his training. He needed to purify his thoughts and emotions. Turn his anger into the strength he would need in order to pass all the trainings Archangel Tae-hee had prepared for him.

 

 

He would never turn his back from his responsibilities to Dara and to their future child. But he couldn't stand being in the house while that demon ravages Dara in their bedroom! The worst part of it all was hearing Dara's moans of pleasure...

 

 

Jaejoong took a deep breath. He needed this training. This was his way of showing Dara that he was determined to fight for her. To prevent Kim Soo-hyun from taking her away from him.

 

 

A strong kick behind his back brought him face down on the ground. When he looked behind him, he saw the Archangel standing on top of him, the point of his spear aimed on his back.

 

 

"You lack concentration, Jaejoong!" castigated Archangel Gong-Yoo.

 

 

Jaejoong nodded in agreement. He had become distracted by his thoughts.

 

 

"This is the ninth time that I have brought you down. You need to do some strengthening exercises. Tomorrow, that would be our lessons. Our fight today was my way of determining your strength and weakness."

 

 

Jaejoong stood up. It was clear from the angel's voice that their training for today was over.

 

 

"Sir, maybe I would be moving much faster if I have my wings. Would it be possible for the Equipment and Supplies Department to lend me one?"

 

 

"You will soon have your own wings, Jaejoong. The moment you defeat Kim Soo-hyun, you will be given your wings. Winning your duel against him would prove to Lightside that you deserved to have the wings of an angel."

 

 

'But I was given wings when I was still an apprentice."

 

 

"All apprentices are given wings, whether they would own one or not depends on their performance and the purity of their heart. Although your heart and body had reverted to being pure, your mind is still possessed by the memories of all the sins you committed when you still have demon blood. Your fight with Kim Soo-hyun will thoroughly cleanse you whether you live or die."

 

 

Jaejoong bowed in respect to the Archangel's words. He could not question or disobey the words of an Archangel. He was after all just a subordinate. He remained an apprentice and the Board of Directors had yet to determine as to what class of angels he would belong.

 

 

"If I survive my duel with Soo-hyun, do you have an idea what class the Board of Directors will assign me to?" Archangel Gong-Yoo's face became thoughtful.

 

 

"Since you asked my opinion and based on what I have observed, you could either become one of us or be part of the Avenging Angels."

 

 

Jaejoong almost grimaced. Dara would hate it if he became an Archangel or an Avenging Angel! Archangels were Lightside's warriors tasked to fight for justice. Avenging Angels were the ones tasked to bring to justice any creature who had sinned against Lightside. And those were the kind of angels that were responsible for the deaths of a lot of Siesmyres in the past.

 

 

Archangel Gong-Yoo lightly slapped his shoulder.

 

 

"Don't be too hung up on wings, Jaejoong. Lightside employees rarely used their wings today. They prefer to use the teleportation portals to travel to different places."

 

 

Jaejoong decided not to make any comment. He had been using the teleportation portals to sneak out of his quarters every day and go home to Dara. Teleportation portals usually opened on stairs or elevators. Some of the buildings near their subdivision had elevators and stairs connected to the portals of Lightside and Midnight. Jaejoong could have easily put a portal inside his house if he just added another floor to his house or a basement that would require the use of stairs. But since a portal would become a two- way door, he wouldn't have any control as to who would suddenly pop inside his house. It would be a problem if a Lightside or Midnight visitor suddenly popped out of his stairs. Junki, specially, might even took advantage of such a portal to further intrude into his personal life.

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter