CHAPTER 61

Angels and Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Jae found himself inside a cavern in Sanctuary. He quickly noticed the presence of all the thirteen Elders of the Siesmyre. But he soon forgot about them when he noticed Dara lying on a bed of flowers!

 

 

He rushed to his wife's side.

 

 

"What happened to her? Why is she like this?" He demanded answers.

 

 

"Princess Hyori brought her to a very polluted town," Elder Duk Hwa sadly informed him.

 

 

He angrily turned his attention to Joong.

 

 

"How could you allow this to happen?! I left you to protect her! Then you blame me for Minho's death? Minho and I were fighting that f-" he screamed inward as he realized he could never curse before Dara. Despite her situation, her powers were still active. That gave him hope that she was still fighting for her life.

 

 

"Dara is dying!" blurted Joong. "We have no time to argue. We need to become one again!"

 

 

"Why in the-"

 

 

"Because we can't give her the immunity she needs as we are now! Only if we became one again could we give her the immunity that would save her!"

 

 

Jae couldn't take his eyes off Dara.

 

 

"Are you just going to let her die because of your selfishness?" Joong admonished him.

 

 

Jae clenched his fist.

 

 

"Shut up! You don't have to tell me how to save Dara!" he shot back.

 

 

"Then-"

 

 

He took a deep breath.

 

 

"I am not going to let her die!" he said firmly. "I may not have a conscience, but I know that she cannot die!"

 

 

He saw the relief and the start of a smile in Joong's lips.

 

 

"Don't smile! Just because I agreed for us to merge, we no longer have any problem. We still don't know how we can become one again!"

 

 

"I have an idea."

 

 

"Then spit it out! Every second counts! I can't have a wife looking like a dead tree! That's a major turn-off!"

 

 

"I will possess you."

 

 

"You will what?" Did he hear Joong right?

 

 

"Angels are spirits. Pure energies. If I transform myself into my pure energy form, it would be possible for me to enter your body. During the Great War, some angels would change into their spirit form and launched themselves into a demon's body and destroy them from the inside. But that often resulted to their self destruction too. It was often a desperate move to save some of their brethrens."

 

 

 

Jae frowned. This idea of Joong could get both of them killed!

 

 

"But this is also what angels do when they go to the human world and..." Joong became embarrassed and unable to continue. "Anyway, humans survived being possessed by angels. They just don't remember being possessed."

 

 

Jae instantly understood what those angels were doing in the human world.

 

 

"So, that's how nephilims are born." A sudden suspicion crept into him. "Did you do that, use a human body to bed Dara while I'm gone?"

 

 

Joong became offended!

 

 

"I have no time for such things! And we shouldn't be talking about that! We need to become one, right now!"

 

 

"You know, what we are going to do is weird. Angels only do such things when they are desperate. This is like suicide for an angel."

 

 

"I am desperate! And it’s a chance we have to take. This is the only way I could think of that would make us whole again. Since we both were one once, it's possible that we could both survive this and become one again."

 

 

"What if we both die from this?"

 

 

"Are you turning into a coward?" came Joong's insult.

 

 

Jae's jaw clenched in anger.

 

 

"I have never been a coward!" he roared.

 

 

"Then get yourself ready, demon!"

 

 

Jae positioned himself away from Dara and the Elders. If this went wrong, he didn't want to further put his wife in danger. He saw Joong changed form. The angel became a being made of bright pure energy! His clothes went up in flames and turned to dust. In his true blazing form, Joong rushed toward Jae like a speeding comet!

 

 

Jae braced himself from the incoming force.

 

 

"By the way, I have worms," were the last words he said before Joong smashed into his body!

 

 

He felt Joong's energy and angelic nature pushing itself into every part of his demon being. He remembered the pain caused by a Lightside weapon. This was a hundred times more painful than that! He felt his body being burned and crushed at the same time. Every fiber and cell of his flesh and mind began dying! He was being destroyed!

 

 

ING !!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The world of Athenaeum

One month ago...

 

 

 

Loud shouts of protestations and fear were heard all over the world of Athenaeum as Jaejoong's fire spread and began engulfing every book on its path. Not one book escaped the fire. Soon, every book in the world of the grey souls were gone.

 

 

The strange landscape of Athenaeum was disappearing and was slowly being replaced by an ordinary dull flatland covered by thick grey fog.

 

 

Since Jaejoong came to this world, he had learned a lot from his conversations with Dr. Song Il-gook. And through his observations, he became aware what the world of Athenaeum really was. This was the world of dreams, ideas and illusions. Theories and beliefs were made real here and stored inside a book created by the grey souls.

 

 

A normal grey soul could create his own illusion by simply using his mind. Everyone who entered Athenaeum was granted the power of illusion. But because Jaejoong naturally possessed the power of illusion since his birth, his illusions had become much more powerful in this world, making everything he created real and permanent.

 

 

Though Athenaeum was often likened to the place some human religions called purgatory, to the denizens of this world, this place was more like heaven. This was the place where nothing hampered their ideas and dreams.

 

 

"What have you done? How could you burn all our books?" Dr. Song Il-gook shouted in a voice filled with both anger and desperation.

 

 

"Calm down, doc. These books are ideas. And as long as those ideas remain in your mind, they won't disappear. They will just take on a new form. And you have nothing to worry about since I am not technically burning them. My fire illusion is simply absorbing all the information and ideas in your books. In short, I am cataloguing and arranging these books since your filing system is not very efficient."

 

 

"What are you talking about?" Dr. Song Il-gook demanded a clear answer.

 

 

Jaejoong opened his right hand. A thin grey tablet appeared on his palm. It was six inches in length and five inches in width and 0.40 inches in thickness. It had a wide screen monitor and a small keyboard beneath it.

 

 

"This, doc, is an e-reader. This could carry thousands of books. While my fire was burning all your books, I was also cataloguing them and putting them into this device." He gave the e-reader to the man. "All the books you wrote are all inside that device. As you can see, there is a search box in the monitor. All you need to do is type the title or the topic of your book on the small keypad, and your book would appear."

 

 

 

Dr. Song Il-gook took the tablet, but his face looked unconvinced. But whatever disbelief he still harbored disappeared when after typing the name of one of his books in the tablet, a printed version of the book emerged from the e-reader. Dr. Song Il-gook laughed as he began to peruse the contents of his book and saw that nothing was missing. Then he gasped as the grey book started to turn into white!

 

 

"How is this possible? No matter how much we tried, we couldn't produce color in this grey world." His eyes stared back at Jaejoong, this time full of fascination.

 

 

"You're simply not doing it right. When you create something in your mind, don't think in grey, use colors."

 

 

Dr. Song Il-gook shook his head.

 

 

"No, this book became blue because of your powers, Jaejoong. You created this e- reader and the printed version of my book. That's why when I touched it, I was able to color it the way I wanted it."

 

 

Jaejoong decided not to argue with Dr. Song Il-gook's theory.

 

 

"By the way, how am I going to write my books now?"

 

 

"Haven't you been watching the advancement of human technology below? All the writers of today use computers when they type."

 

 

Jaejoong snapped his fingers. A computer table complete with the most advanced laptop appeared.

 

 

"You type your books there. And when you are finished, you can upload your books into the limitless storage I have created for all the books here in Athenaeum." He pointed his forefinger up. "The storage is invisible doc, but it's up there. It is like a giant library where you can always download or upload your books. As for your ground screen below, we will also change that. You can now access and view whatever was and is happening in the three worlds below through your laptop's monitor with one click. No need to do any foot stamping. And if you want a much bigger monitor, you can always adjust the size of your laptop's screen using your mind.

 

 

Dr. Song Il-gook sat before the computer table. A white cushion chair appeared and supported his body. When he started touching the table and the laptop, they began having colors.

 

 

"I...I am now capable of conjuring illusions with color!" Dr. Song Il-gook laughed. "You really are the master of illusion! Thank you!"

 

 

Jaejoong nodded.

 

 

"And once you are finished reading your book, it would vanish. But you can call it up again through your e-book reader. Before you start thinking I did these out of the goodness of my heart, you should know that I only helped out so that I could get the information I need about Kim Soo-hyun. I put a system in your book collections so that I would have an easy time finding the information I need. I simply want to type in the subject I need and then instantly get all the books that would provide me with such information. As well as find out who the authors of these books are."

 

Jaejoong found himself studying the dull and grey landscape of Athenaeum. It was too foggy and dimly lit. This place definitely needed a redecoration!

 

 

Jaejoong pointed a finger in the dim skies. He created a half-moon. But unlike the normal half moon with dim light, this one exploded with a powerful light that chased away all the grayness from the realm. It burned like a white incandescent lamp. Next, he wiped away the mist in the air and pushed the ground fog several inches near the ground so that it reached only to the soles of his shoes. He t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter