CHAPTER 30

Angels and Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jaejoong was getting bored so he began flying around the zone. It had never been part of his nature to hide or wait. Dara told him to wait and hide until she had sorted out the problem with the Midnight Corp., but patience was never among his virtues. Jaejoong also didn't like feeling weak and useless! His whole being rebelled from such notion. After flying twice around the Exclusion Zone he began to wonder about the radiation in the place. He was immune to it, but what about Yabu? He turned to look at the Finder who remained perched on his right shoulder. Was he putting the Finder's life in danger? Radiation was also some sort of pollution, right?

 

 

Yabu didn't seem affected by the radiation. He was still chirpy and talkative as usual.

 

 

"How high is your tolerance against pollution?" he asked the Finder. He found himself getting concerned with the safety of his small companion. He never liked it when he had to bear the responsibility for the life of another being.

 

 

"Are we going somewhere full of pollution?"

 

 

"This place is full of radiation. Humans who get exposed to high levels of radiation get sick and even die. And isn't radiation a kind of pollution too?"

 

 

"This radiation may be the product of man's technology, but radiation itself naturally occurs in nature. In fact, even before man appeared in this world and until today, cosmic radiation from outer space had continued to bombard this planet. We were here before the race of humans. Our bodies have adapted from that cosmic radiation, so radiations found in this place no longer affect us. Some insects like cockroaches are immune to radiation. Plants die if they are suddenly exposed to intense amounts of radiation like what happened to some pine trees in this zone. But when plants grow into a radiation- filled environment, that means they have adapted.

 

 

"Just look around us, Jaejoong. Plants and trees are growing here in spite of being exposed to radiation. They have learned how to tolerate radiation, just like the Siesmyres. And I believe that with your help, the Siesmyres would also become immune to man's pollution."

 

 

Birds were incapable of smiling, but since Yabu wasn't technically a bird, he was able to bend his beak and smile like those bird cartoons Jaejoong used to watch as a child on TV.

 

 

"What's so funny?" he asked when Yabu continued smiling.

 

 

"I am just pleasantly surprised. Demons usually want to use and abuse us. Angels looked down on us and treat us like vermin. They really don't care whether we live or die as long as we don't interfere in their causes and fights. You are both angel and demon, but you are clearly concerned about me. No wonder Dara likes you. I myself am growing fond of you."

 

 

Jaejoong turned his eyes away. He felt embarrassed and uneasy.

 

 

"I just don't like it when someone is put in danger because of me. And I also don't like it when someone puts my life in danger," he said as he landed on top of a big rock. He sat on the flattened part of the rock, propped an elbow on his thigh and placed his chin on his palm. It was time again to wait and be patient.

 

 

He didn't bring a cell phone with him because its signal could be easily tracked down by the Midnight Corp. If it got traced by Prince Teddy's group, he would be facing the hardest battle he had ever fought in his entire life. Yabu had assured him that he could still communicate with Dara by using the Finder network. All Finders could talk to each other even between great distances. As long as you are with one Finder, you could talk or send a message to another Finder to tell it to the person you want to communicate with. The communication was fast and could never be intercepted.

 

 

"Has Dara sent you a message?" he asked.

 

 

Yabu shook his head.

 

 

"For the tenth time, Jaejoong, I have not received any message from her. And just like what I told you when you asked me for the ninth time several minutes ago, the moment I receive a message from her, I will immediately tell you." Yabu sighed in exasperation.

 

 

"It's also possible that her lack of message could mean that something bad happened to her!"

 

 

"You worry too much, Jaejoong. Dara can take care of herself, and she's not someone who could easily be trapped or kidnapped. I can assure you that she is still alive and well. Because if she dies, all Siesmyres would feel it."

 

 

"Are you going to tell me if she's in danger? Or if she's..." He couldn't make himself think of Dara's possible death.

 

 

"Definitely! Because I want you to go berserk and punish those who have hurt our Dara!"

 

 

Why is it that everyone is interested to see him go crazy?

 

 

Yabu suddenly froze. His eyes began to have a faraway look.

 

 

"Yabu? What's happening?"

 

 

"I am receiving a message from Bright, she's also a Finder. So, be quiet so I could understand what she is trying to say."

 

 

Yabu was soon lost in deep thought. His eyes bulged several times with shock and surprise. Sometimes, he would shake his head in disbelief. When his eyes finally focused, he turned to Jaejoong. Yabu had finally received the full message.

 

 

"First, Dara is alive," Yabu said, "an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter