CHAPTER 71

Angels and Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

       Jaejoong and Dara went back to their ordinary life after their honeymoon. Ordinary meant being back into the human world and living their lives like normal humans. Both of them had just graduated from college, with Jaejoong earning a bachelor's degree in history and literature. Dara only took a degree in history and just sat on Jaejoong's other classes.

 

 

       Jaejoong had now decided to study interior decoration and civil engineering. Dara on the other hand went to pursue a law degree. Her plan was to go into politics. Become a congresswoman or senator and then passed laws that would protect the environment. It was a long-range plan, and it would involve one country at a time. But it was perfect since Dara and Jaejoong would soon be leaving the Busan when it would become too obvious that neither one of them was getting old. Disguise and make-up could only age them up to fifty years old. More than that and everyone would notice they weren't ageing. As a child of nature, Dara was ageless. Being half‑demon and half-angel, Jaejoong was also immune to the passing of time. His ageing slowed down when he turned twenty‑two. It would take several hundred years before he would even look twenty-five.

 

 

       Jaejoong had gotten used with Dara always being by his side during his classes that he found himself missing her constantly. The only time they could be together was during break time. Dara had made sure that their break times coincided. She was after all the one who scheduled their subjects.

 

 

       He could have taken up law to be with her. But his pride prevented him from making himself look like a love-sick fool who couldn't survive without being near her. She on the other hand had no more reason to stick beside him. She had already seduced him, married him twice, and marked him as hers. In short, Dara already owned Jaejoong.

 

 

       Most of their classmates had gone on to get themselves jobs. Others had gotten married like Jaejoong. But some had also decided to continue studying. Everyone who became part of the student council during Dara's reign as president had gone on to study law. In fact, all of them were now Dara's classmates and they often held group studies in Jaejoong and Dara's house until the late hours of the night. Most of the time, they even slept over!

 

 

       Jaejoong could only get his wife alone with him in the wee hours of the morning, only if the Siesmyres wouldn't require her services. Thankfully, since the school year started, Dara had remained home during the night. All seemed quiet and peaceful among the Siesmyres or at least the Elders were able to handle every problem, and Dara wasn't needed to solve or intervene into problems.

 

 

       Today's class was making Jaejoong bored to death. It had something to do with Professor Landon. He was teaching fluid mechanics and unlike some teachers, he really knew what he was talking about. Jaejoong couldn't challenge or unnerve the man! The professor always had a correct answer for all of Jaejoong 's questions. There was also the fact that the man had a monotone voice. Sometimes, Jaejoong couldn't help but suspect that he was a robot or an android. Professor Landon never showed any sign of emotion. His whole life seemed to be numbers, mathematics and calculus.

 

 

       " Jaejoong!" screamed a familiar voice.

 

 

       Professor Landon stopped talking and writing on the board. All eyes were riveted to the opened door. An out of breath Seho, former manager of the Solaris Party that had consecutively won by a landslide in the last three years in the student council election, was gasping before them. Seho like most members of the Solaris Party had chosen or to be precise was convinced by Dara to take up law.

 

 

       "Dara!" Seho gasped.

 

 

       Jaejoong stood. He didn't need to hear anymore of Seho's explanation.

 

 

       "Where?"

 

 

       Seho pointed to the east. He was in air.

 

 

       "H-Hospital!"

 

 

       Jaejoong ran out of the classroom. Something had happened to his wife. But he couldn't understand why she was in a hospital? She looked dainty, beautiful and fragile. But she had a mean right punch. No human could defeat her in a physical fight. She was five times stronger than any man was. Neither was Dara affected by any affliction or human sickness. In fact, the only thing that could make her sick was pollution. But that had been remedied because of Jaejoong. Jaejoong had made her immune. Unless, his immunity no longer worked for her!

 

 

       In minutes, he was in front of the surprised nurse in the university's hospital.

 

 

       "My wife was taken here. Her name is Kim Dara."

 

 

       The nurse pointed him to a hallway. She began telling him where Dara was taken, but Jaejoong had already ignored her. He didn't need to know the number of the room, because he could simply just follow the smell of fresh flowers. His wife always smelled of fresh flowers when happy or freshly‑cut grass when she was angry or agitated.

 

 

       He was surprised to find himself in front of a door with the label ob-gyne! But Dara was definitely inside.

 

 

       He went in and found Dara's study group huddling inside the small room.

 

 

       "Where is she?"

 

 

       All hands pointed to another small door. The door wasn't locked, so he was able to get in easily.

 

 

       Dara was lying on a bed. And some kind of equipment was being pressed against her belly. The male doctor looked up when he felt Jaejoong's presence.

 

 

       "I'm her husband," Jaejoong explained.

 

 

       The doctor smiled.

 

 

       "Then I should congratulate you! You are going to be a father!"

 

 

       Jaejoong's jaw dropped.

 

 

       "A what?"

 

 

       "The reason your wife fainted earlier during her class was because she's pregnant."

 

 

       "She can't be!" Jaejoong looked at Dara. Dara also seemed perplexed.

 

 

       "Sometimes, even if you are careful and always use protection, these things happen. Nature always finds a way."

 

 

       "B-But‑" Jaejoong finally noticed the monitor near Dara's bed. There was a 3D image of a baby in there!

 

 

       "What is that?"

 

 

       "That is your baby and he has quite a strong heartbeat."

 

 

       "He?" blurted Jaejoong.

 

 

       "Doctor," interjected Dara who now looked worried. "Are you saying that my baby is a boy?"

 

 

       "Yes! Look at the monitor of the ultrasound. You can clearly see the gender of your son."

 

 

       "But how could that be possible when you just said several minutes ago that I am only two weeks pregnant? You can't know yet a baby's gender at that age!"

 

 

       It was the doctor's turn to frown and be surprised.

 

 

       "This can't be right. The image the 3D ultrasound is showing is that of a three‑month old fetus! But when I checked you earlier, you were just two weeks pregnant." He began tapping the monitor of the 3D ultrasound machine.

 

 

       "Your machine must be broken, doctor," Jaejoong remarked. "And I am going to take my wife home. She needs rest."

 

 

       Jaejoong didn't wait for the doctor's approval but proceeded to carry Dara in his arms. He quickly said goodbye to her study group and brought her to his parked car.

 

 

       Once inside their car, he confronted her.

 

 

       "Do you have to play a trick like that just to make me come to you? You could just have called me, Dara."

 

 

       "I didn't. I really fainted and when I came to, I was inside the doctor's office and he was telling me I am pregnant."

 

 

       "You can't be pregnant. I mean not like how humans get pregnant. Aren't you supposed to create a seed from your body then put a spirit into that seed, afterwards you plant it into the soil and wait for it to grow and when it bears fruit, your baby, our baby would come out of that fruit?"

 

 

       "Maybe we shouldn't take the car today. You better fly me to the nearest Sanctuary."

 

 

       "Dara, what is happening?"

 

 

       "I will explain once we are inside the Sanctuary," she promised.

      

 

 

 

 

Jaejoong discovered a cherry‑like tree growing in one of the chambers of the Sanctuary. Big, white seven‑petalled flowers covered the tree's branches. The tree was also emitting a green glow.

 

 

       "Dara, what is this?"

 

 

       "It is our daughter's tree."

 

 

       "What!?"

 

 

       "Soon, the tree would bear a fruit. That fruit would ripen, and open, and we would be able to hold our daughter in our arms."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter