CHAPTER 47

Angels and Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

The Siesmyres were made up of hundreds of clans and the thirteen Elders ruled and watched over them. Of all the Elders, Dara was closest to Elder Duk Hwa. The old Tarosian raised Dara from childhood after her mother, the former queen of the Siesmyres died.

 

 

When Jaejoong was injured during his fight with Prince Bumsoo, Dara introduced Jaejoong to Elder Duk Hwa and brought him to the village of the Tarosians to be healed.

 

 

Both Dara and Jaejoong were now back in the Tarosian village located inside the crater of a dead volcano among the snow-covered mountains in Russia.

 

 

Elder Duk Hwa quietly sat on his ice-made armchair while smoking his cigar. He was listening intently to Dara's words as she narrated the events that happened last night.

 

 

Jaejoong had always been curious as to what was inside Elder Duk Hwa's cigar. The thick smoke coming from the cigar didn't smell like tobacco or any other nicotine-based cigar. It also had a minty smell mixed with some herbs Jaejoong couldn't identify.

 

 

"So, he has awakened," Elder Duk Hwa finally spoke after Dara finished her story. The Tarosian's large circular eyes turned toward Jaejoong. He seemed to be waiting for a reaction from Jaejoong.

 

 

"I am not going to let him take away Dara from me," Jaejoong swore.

 

 

"And you shouldn't. We didn't choose you for Dara just so she would fall into the hands of a sun god."

 

 

"Jaejoong is not strong enough to fight Soo-hyun," interrupted Dara.

 

 

"He could die in their duel, Elder Duk Hwa."

 

 

Although part of Jaejoong was glad his wife was worried about him, his pride was hurt by her lack of faith in his skills and abilities as a fighter.

 

 

"Your wife is right, Jaejoong," commented Elder Duk Hwa. A look of worry and fear had also appeared on his face.

 

 

Sometimes, Jaejoong suspected the Tarosian had the ability to read his mind.

 

 

"Who really is Soo-hyun and why do you fear him? Though he claims to be a god, I doubt if he really is one."

 

 

"He is not a god," said Elder Duk Hwa as he puffed out smoke from his mouth.

 

 

Jaejoong blinked. The smoke coming out of the mouth of Elder Duk Hwa began to take the shape of Soo-hyun!

 

 

"But because of the powers he possessed, any human would mistake him for a god."

 

 

"If he really isn't a god, then what is he? A Siesmyre?"

 

 

"The Siesmyres are the children of nature. We come from the earth itself. Soo-hyun descended from the sky. He is a child of the air. At least that was according to the story passed down from our ancestors," Elder Duk Hwa explained. "According to our stories, he was the consort and husband of the Siesmyres' first queen, Rune. Rune was the child of earth and Soo-hyun, then called Hyun, was the son of the sky. They were created for each other. Fated to be together as husband and wife."

 

 

 

"Wait, are you telling me that Soo-hyun was Dara's ancestor? Like some great, great grandfather? Then his desire to make Dara his wife is not only wrong, it is also uous!"

 

 

"Jaejoong, uous relationships are part of the lives of powerful beings. In Greek Mythology, Zeus and Hera were siblings and they became husband and wife. And often, Zeus had an affair and a child to one of his grandchildren from the human women he took as lovers in the past."

 

 

"So, this Soo-hyun is like this Zeus who doesn't care whether the woman he wants was a blood relation or even a direct descendant?"

 

 

"Are you really sure you still have your half-demon inside you, Jaejoong? You are such a prude!" teased Dara.

 

 

"Can I continue my story before you two get into a fight?" interrupted Elder Duk Hwa.

 

 

"You can continue, Elder Duk Hwa," said Jaejoong.

 

 

"I am interested to know who this Soo-hyun really is. Because the best way to defeat an enemy is to know who he really is." Those were the lessons Minho taught Jaejoong. He suddenly remembered that one of these days, he would still be called upon to attend an investigation about the serial killings happening all over the world.

 

 

He sighed inwardly. All he wanted in life was a simple life. A life in which he could live in peace. But fate seemed to have decided that he was to live a dangerous and exciting life.

 

 

"After Rune gave life to her daughter, Solaria, she died," Elder Duk Hwa continued his story.

 

 

Jaejoong found himself secretly glancing at Dara. That was the same fate waiting for his wife. The moment she brought forth a child, she would die, leaving all the obligations and responsibilities to protect the Siesmyres to the child. Such fact was accepted by the Siesmyres, it was normal for them. But Jaejoong could never accept that. He was still determined to prevent Dara from conceiving and dying. She would not sire a child unless he gave her part of his soul. And luckily, he didn't have one.

 

 

As a half-demon and a half-angel, Jaejoong didn't possess any spirit. He could never father Dara's child. But that fact also guaranteed that he would never be the cause of her death. He wasn't sure though if Dara had become aware of this truth. He never asked because he was afraid to see her disappointment. But she wouldn't be divorcing him even if she found the non-existence of his soul because he was able to give her immunity from pollution. Like all Siesmyres, Dara could die if exposed to too much pollution. But his presence had given her immunity and the ability to live in the polluted cities of humans.

 

 

 

His thoughts were interrupted as Elder Duk Hwa continued his story.

 

 

"Because Rune's life, memories and responsibilities were transferred to Solaria, Hyun also wanted Solaria to become his wife. He believed that Solaria were also Rune, and no one could convince him otherwise. Solaria's body was created by Rune, but her spirit came from Hyun, making her a different being who only remembered perfectly the memories of her mother.

 

 

"But because Solaria also inherited all the memories of her mother, Rune, she knew the true nature of Hyun. Included in those memories was a message from Rune. Rune told her daughter to never marry Hyun. Rune had warned her daughter and instructed her to find a way to escape from the fate intertwining her with Hyun."

 

 

"Fate? Is that why Soo-hyun kept insisting that Dara was fated to become his wife?" inquired Jaejoong.

 

 

Elder Duk Hwa nodded. He blew smoke from his mouth. The smoke took the shape of a woman. The shapes multiplied until it appeared like a line of women.

 

 

"It's an ancient belief that the earth belongs to the sky and vice versa. They were created for each other, to match each other like light and day. One cannot exist without the other. So the earth and the sky are destined for each other."

 

 

"I am not going to let Soo-hyun take Dara!" Jaejoong said firmly.

 

 

Dara smiled and grasped one of his hands.

 

 

 

"During those times, humans had already appeared in the world. The angels and the demons have not yet appeared, so different gods and goddesses were being worshipped by humans whether they were real or not. Solaria were worshipped as a goddess, and Hyun was worshipped as a god. But Solaria wasn't interested in becoming a goddess. Hyun meanwhile became drunk with power when people started treating him like a god. He began to destroy the beliefs of the people on other gods. He made sure that only he was to be worshipped and obeyed. Despite his power, Solaria was able to trick him and escape his clutches."

 

 

"How did Solaria trick Hyun? Was she the one responsible for Hyun's thousands of years' sleep?" Jaejoong steered the topic back to the most important part of the story.

 

 

Elder Duk Hwa nodded.

 

 

"Solaria sang him to sleep. And to make sure that he wouldn't be able to escape easily even if he woke up, she instructed the ancients’ humans to build a pyramid on top of the sarcophagus that contained him. Solaria's descendants were able to keep Hyun sleeping because they always sang him that song."

 

 

"Then all we need to do now is make Dara sing him to sleep again!" Jaejoong exclaimed.

 

 

"The song only proved effective when Lightside and Midnight had not yet appeared in the human world. Since they established their corporations here, the song had become ineffective."

 

 

"What do you mean?"

 

 

"Because as Lightside and Midnight continue to fight against each other, they unwittingly helped the rise of human civilizations. They helped and inspired their human minions to create things and improve their lives. Cars, trains, airplanes, radio, TV, mp3's, cell phones, computers and other inventions and devices of man make noises! Hyun has a very keen sense of hearing. And the noise the human world is producing would counteract the sleeping song Solaria had created. Even if we managed to shove several thousands of sleeping pills into Soo-hyun's throat, that wouldn't guarantee he would remain sleeping."

 

 

"If you knew about his eventual awakening, why haven't you done anything to stop this? Or created something to defeat him?" Jaejoong said in exasperation.

 

 

"We did." Elder Duk Hwa's large eyes stared hard at Jaejoong. "We chose someone who could find the solution to this situation or at least have the strength needed to defeat him."

 

 

"Are you talking about me? A moment ago, you said I am not strong enough."

 

 

"Not strong enough today. But if we could postpone this duel of yours, you could become much stronger in the future, Jaejoong. The Siesmyres believed this will come to pass."

 

 

"That is what Midnight and Lightside fears," Jaejoong commented.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter