CHAPTER 50

Angels and Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

"Here in Athenaeum, we can observe all that is happening below the three worlds," explained Dr. Song Il-gook.

 

 

Although Jaejoong immediately recognized the worlds of humans, angels and demons through the transparent ground, he couldn't see what was really going on. The images were overlapping each other. Sometimes, there were three or more versions of a scene that was happening at the same time. The sounds were also hard to understand because of the many voices that could be heard simultaneously. He recognized the sounds as the echoes he first thought belonged to the inhabitants of Athenaeum.

 

 

Jaejoong frowned.

 

 

"How are you able to see and hear properly all these scenes when the images and sounds are so chaotic?"

 

 

"The reason for the overlapping of the images is because we are being shown the past and the present at the same time. If you train yourself, you can then easily distinguish which is the past and which is the present."

 

 

"What about the future?"

 

 

"You cannot see the future from Athenaeum. Now, go away and find your own place. The inhabitants here live and create their own lives and never bother their neighbors. Each to his own interest. I am sure that there is something that held your interest while you were still living down below. Focus on that. Concentrate until you finally manage to find information about that subject on the three worlds below. And then start writing

your own book."

 

 

"How long before I can learn how to see and distinguish the past from the present?" Jaejoong had a suspicion that no matter what he did, he wouldn't be able to understand and find the information he needed from the images below. Maybe his inability to see was due to his state of still being alive.

 

 

"Does it matter? You have all the time in the world to work that out here."

 

 

Jaejoong felt frustrated. He didn't have time to waste watching the lives of everyone below!

 

 

"Are there a person here that specializes in the study of ancient gods?"

 

 

"Of course there is! But I don't know who they are and where they live here in Athenaeum. We are several thousand here, and it is not my duty to know each and every one of them!" Dr. Song Il-gook said haughtily.

 

 

Jaejoong once again looked around the world of Athenaeum. He knew that looking for those souls who had the knowledge he sought would be impossible. Even if he flew all over Athenaeum, he would just go in circles and get himself lost. Everything in this place looked the same! There was also the mist and the fog that his sharp eyes couldn't penetrate. He couldn't even see anyone aside from Dr. Song Il-gook from where he stood. And there were of course the millions of books scattered all over the land that obscured the inhabitants. If Dr. Song Il-gook's voice wasn't so clear, he would have never tracked him down to his pile of books.

 

Jaejoong turned his attention back to Dr. Song Il-gook. He was surprised to see Dr. Song Il-gook sitting on a desk busy writing. The doctor was starting to write new book. But where did the desk and the writing equipment came from?

 

 

How was the man able to acquire pen and paper when moments ago, there were just fog and tons of piles of books? And what about the desk and chair that seemed to be made out of wood? There were no trees or anything else in this world that could be turned into furniture. Come to think of it, how were the books printed?

 

 

Jaejoong looked over Dr. Song Il-gook's shoulder to see what he was writing. He was surprised to see that instead of handwritten words, the words that were being written on the paper appeared like letters printed from a printing machine!

 

 

"Can I have a piece of paper?" Jaejoong asked. Doctor Song Il-gook shot him an angry glance.

 

 

"Only intelligent people are supposed to be in here. You should have realized by now that all you need to do to get the materials you need in your research is to think of it."

 

 

"I just need to think of it?"

 

 

"Use your imagination!" the doctor said in frustration. He raised one hand and spoke a word, "Paper!" A grey paper instantly materialized in his hand.

 

 

"Are you telling me that anything I want or think of would appear?"

 

 

"Of course! The world of Athenaeum is also called the land of dreams! Anything you can imagine and want, you can create it here. But if you plan to do some experiments, go somewhere else. I don't want to be disturbed."

 

 

"If you can create anything you want, how come this place looks like this? This place needs a lot of redecoration. It looks too boring."

 

 

"Because if you are going to create solid things, they wouldn't last for a day. The only things that last here are ideas, facts and information. A book full of ideas would last forever, but this chair would disappear at the end of the day. I would have to create another chair tomorrow. So it's useless to decorate this place because I for one have other much more important things to do. Now, go away and leave me in peace!" He shooed him.

 

 

Jaejoong studied the doctor. If he didn't want to be bothered by new souls coming to Athenaeum why had he chosen to live near the gate? And despite Dr. Song Il-gook's continued protestations of being bothered, he had also been telling Jaejoong a lot of information about this realm.

 

 

 

"You are not like the other souls that live here. You are different," Jaejoong said quietly, his eyes never leaving the doctor.

 

 

"Every soul here is different and unique."

 

 

"You are the guide of Athenaeum!" Jaejoong blurted in understanding.

 

 

"It's not by choice, Jaejoong."

 

 

"You know me?!" Dr. Song Il-gook smiled.

 

 

"Everyone here knows you since we can't help but watch your adventures and activities below ever since you were born."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter