CHAPTER 37

Angels and Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The Midnight Dark Council had thirteen members. Each member held the rank of a prince and had proven through the years their capacity to decide and form plans to lead the Midnight Corporation in their never ending war against Lightside Incorporated.

 

 

Tonight, only twelve members of the Dark Council were present because of the fate that had befallen Prince Teddy several hours ago. The meeting being held tonight was hastily convened in view of the events that had recently transpired.

 

 

The boardroom where the meeting was being held was located in the topmost floor of the Midnight Headquarters. To normal human eyes, the Midnight Headquarters appeared like a modern nine-storey building with blue-colored glass windows. It was no different from the other commercial buildings in the Washington D.C. area. But in truth, the blue building of Midnight Corp. had seven thousand floors, it's height dwarfing Burj Khalita in Dubai, the current world's tallest building in the world with its 163 floors.

 

 

The boardroom though was like any other multinational corporation's conference room in size. But unlike normal conference rooms that looked pristine and simple in design, the boardroom of the Midnight Corp. immediately assaulted the senses because of its extravagant design and interior decoration. From the curtains, carpet, paintings, three chandeliers and other decorations in the room, one could see and feel that these were all expertly crafted and designed.

 

 

A long, rectangular-shaped, black obsidian table occupied the middle of the room. Surrounding it were thirteen different and uniquely crafted chairs. Six chairs were positioned on each side of the length of the table, while one chair stood above the rest and was positioned at the head of the table. This chair was occupied by the head councilman. Each of the thirteen chairs was different. The style, shape and color of each chair depended on the personality of the councilman who sat on it. One looked like a plush fur-covered armchair, while another one was made of bronze and designed to look like the thrones popular during the middle ages. The high-backed chair for the head councilman was made of oak wood, and covered with black velvet cushions.

 

 

 

Currently sitting on the black velvet-covered chair was Head Councilman, Prince Jinu. Though he looked like he was just in his late thirties, his eyes betrayed the centuries of experience he had lived through. He sported a neatly trimmed red goatee mustache.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Behind Prince Jinu, was a video wall where the fights between Jaejoong and the demon hunters were being shown in a loop.

 

 

On the other end of the table stood Dara. Behind her were Countess Hyori and Marquis Junki. Dara and the countess were supposed to be the only ones to face the Dark Council, but when the council learned about Junki's presence, they also required him to come to the meeting. He was, after all, the immediate superior of Jaejoong and was directly liable to whatever his subordinate had done.

 

 

 

"I think we have seen and heard enough gentlemen," Councilman Jinu said after watching the video for the second time. He signaled one of the minor demons standing on the corner of the room and wearing a complete butler's uniform to turn off the video wall before turning his deep, dark blue eyes on Dara.

 

 

Every councilman was dressed in the most expensive business suits complete with ties. They looked like rich and powerful businessmen from Wallstreet except for the fact that all were in the prime of health. No sagging jowls or protruding bellies marred their physical appearances. Prince Jinu was the oldest of the group and was also considered the most cunning since he was able to maintain his position as head of the Dark Council for several centuries now.

 

 

Countess Hyori and Marquis Junki were both dressed in formal attire. Dara looked out of place with her white blouse, blue shorts and sneakers. This was because she was not interested to dress up and Countess Hyori insisted that she could not face the Dark Council in her true form. Looking green and leafy in front of the councilmen would be a form of disrespect!

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Tiffany will be properly punished because of her lies. And we would no longer be issuing a death warrant for Jaejoong. For now," Jinu added meaningfully.

 

 

Dara breathed a sigh of relief. She thought the Dark Council would still need some time to digest everything she had said as well as the undeniable proof shown in the video footage. She had noticed though the looks and silent signals from the other councilmen before Prince Jinu announced the council's decision. It seemed no words were necessary between the members of the Dark Council. They had been working together for several centuries now that each could easily understand what the other members' thoughts were by simple looks and gestures.

 

 

"By the way, is he still alive?" inquired Prince Jinu.

 

 

"It’s not important whether Jaejoong is dead or alive right now," Dara said.

 

 

"As his wife, I am also his representative in this meeting. Anything I say and decide is to be considered as his own will. I now have the power to decide and manage all the rights and privileges he won during his battles with the demon hunters."

 

 

"Do you want to occupy one of the vacant positions that Jaejoong has acquired?" inquired Prince WooBin. "One of the lesser positions would fit you. Someone like you could become an asset to the corporation."

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Thank you for the offer, Prince WooBin. But I cannot leave my position and responsibility to the Siesmyre. And my husband would not want me to work for Midnight. In fact, Jaejoong himself is not interested to occupy the positions he had won. He also declines the powers accompanying the positions once held by Prince Bumsoo, Prince Teddy, Count Kush and Duke Xin. The only thing he wants out of this incident is the soul sword of Prince Teddy."

 

 

 

"Those four important positions cannot remain vacant, Dara," Head Councilman Jinu pointed out firmly. "Those departments are important in Midnight's daily transactions and functions."

 

 

"I understand. But according to your rules, which I have studied and learned during my stay in Countess Hyori's office, if too many positions were vacated during challenges and fights, the victor instantly assumes the highest vacant position and the lower positions would be delegated to his supporters and allies. Jaejoong now has the right to give and designate these positions to any Midnight employee he deemed worthy."

 

 

"What are you getting at Dara?" Prince Jinu asked carefully.

 

 

"Jaejoong will give all four positions to regular employees of Midnight."

 

 

Each one of the members of the Dark Council began nodding. They all seemed relieved with this development.

 

 

"Jaejoong will give the Snow Demon Department to Tiffany, after she has finished all the punishments she had incurred because of her wrongful accusations." Dara informed them.

 

 

Everyone was shocked by this decision.

 

 

"The yuki-onna?" Prince Woobin clarified.

 

 

"She was the one who started all this mess councilmen. Therefore, she should be the one to fix and manage the department left by Prince Bumsoo. If her work proves unsatisfactory, you can always demote her, punish her or even have her killed, right?"

 

 

The room became silent.

 

 

"For the position left by Prince Teddy, which would include the seat in this Dark Council, his rank as a prince and all his powers from his position, I give all of that to Countess Hyori."

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter