CHAPTER 85

Angels and Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 


  

       The island of Wendervein was small in comparison to the other million of islands in Midnight Realm. Dara thought it should be called an islet rather than an island since only a city block could fit in the island. Unlike most islands that were covered by big and majestic structures, Wendervein was covered in sand and only two structures stood in the middle of it. The two structures were two grey steel doors intricately carved and designed by gold and precious stones.

 

 

       After the Finders had teleported all of them in Wendervein, the unit teleported back to the world of humans. Their presence inside Midnight Realm would greatly disturb the employees. Junki was chagrined.

 

 

       "I am not supposed to be here!" he protested. "I should be in my own mansion watching this challenge from the TV. MIB is covering this event."

 

 

       "Is it against the rule for you to be here?" asked Dara.

 

 

       "No, but-"

 

 

       "Since you are physically present here, you don't need to rely on any phone and you can easily help out Jaejoong answer the question. In fact, you yourself could answer Yang Hyun Suk's riddle."

 

 

       "Yang Hyun Suk is not yet here," commented Jaejoong.

 

 

       "We're early," said Junki. "At least I can tell you the riddle you would tell Yang Hyun Suk ‑"

 

 

       "No need. I already have an unsolvable riddle. Dara had already provided me with that."

 

 

       "Trust me, Junki. Yang Hyun Suk can never solve this riddle," Dara assured him.

 

 

       "All riddles can be solved. What is important is the amount of time it would take before a riddle could be solved. The fastest one to solve that riddle would have the right to face the doors. And if a riddle couldn't be solved, the one who asked the riddle must himself provide the correct answer. If he fails to do that because his riddle doesn't have an answer, he will instantly lose."

 

 

       "Most Siesmyres when tricking humans often give out riddles without an answer. But I can assure you, Junki, the riddle Jaejoong has with him has an answer. In fact, a very simple answer."

 

 

       Junki remained unconvinced.

 

 

       "My riddle is much harder," he insisted.

 

 

       "Okay then, tell me!" Dara challenged him.

 

 

       Junki hesitated for a moment.

 

 

       "If I am able to guess that riddle, then that means Yang Hyun Suk would also be able to know the answer," said Dara.

 

 

       Junki finally told his riddle.

 

 

       "This is my riddle. I am everywhere, yet no one can see or feel me. I have no name yet all know of me, because everything came from me."

 

 

       Jaejoong chuckled.

 

 

       "I can answer that riddle!"

 

 

       "What? Impossible!"

 

 

       "The answer is nothing."

 

 

       Junki was stunned.

 

 

       "How did you-"

 

 

       "I regularly watched the Big Bang Theory sitcom. And that sitcom begins by showing and telling how the world and the universe came from nothing because of a big explosion. When you said everything came from me, I instantly knew the answer is nothing and you can't see nothing but you also know that nothing is there."

 

 

       Dara was giggling inside Junki.

 

 

       "See, I told you."

 

 

       "Be quiet! Any moment now and Yang Hyun Suk will appear. You don't want him to know that you are inside me!" Junki hissed in irritation.

 

 

       Yang Hyun Suk appeared before them at the exact time of the challenge. Twelve midnight.

 

 

       "I never thought you are this brave, Junki, to accompany your champion. I thought you would now be sitting comfortably on your couch and sniveling."

 

 

       Dara felt the anger rose inside Junki. Yet the demon king quickly calmed himself and smiled.

 

 

       "You are wasting time, Yang Hyun Suk. Tell your riddle!"

 

 

       Yang Hyun Suk shrugged his shoulders. But his eyes remained on Junki. He had chosen to ignore Jaejoong's presence but one of his eyebrows rose when Blue peeked from Junki's back.

 

 

       "Solve this riddle then, Junki. Everyone has it, yet no one can see it. Everyone can share it, yet no one can touch it. Everyone is affected by it, yet no one can hear it. But it will come alive when a person wills it."

 

 

       Dara could feel Junki tensed. It was clear, he had no idea what the answer was to the riddle. Looking through Junki's eyes, she saw that Jaejoong was also trying to figure out the answer. And the invisible timer had started its silent countdown.

 

 

       "Need a hint or a suggestion here," Junki whispered.

 

 

       "Are you talking to me?" teased Dara. She again felt Junki anger, but he quickly controlled it and calmed himself. The demon's ability to suppress his anger was obviously the reason he was chosen to become an ambassador for Midnight. Most demons once angered never calmed down until they had wrought destruction around them.

 

 

       "Are you going to help or not?" he hissed.

 

 

       "To be honest, I have no idea-"

 

 

       Dara felt Junki perked up. His clever mind had found the solution!

 

 

       "It's an idea!" he blurted at Yang Hyun Suk.

 

 

       Yang Hyun Suk frowned.

 

 

       "Everyone has an idea, but no one can see it," Junki began explaining, "an idea can be shared but it cannot be touched. And it will come alive or take on physical form once the person who owns the idea becomes determined to make this idea into a reality!" he smirked.

 

 

       Yang Hyun Suk crossed his arms around his chest.

 

 

       "Your turn, Junki."

 

 

       Junki pointed at the quiet Jaejoong.

 

 

       "My champion will tell the riddle."

 

 

       Jaejoong began without waiting for Yang Hyun Suk to face him.

 

 

       "Why would the Rikarag choose the door on the right?"

 

 

       Yang Hyun Suk whirled at Jaejoong.

 

 

       "What kind of riddle is that?" he blurted.

 

 

       "My riddle. Now, then, solve it," Jaejoong challenged.

 

 

       Dara also felt Junki's puzzlement. Like Yang Hyun Suk, he was dumbfounded.

 

 

       "Does that riddle even have an answer?" whispered Junki.

 

 

       "Of course. It's a very simple riddle. And I suggested Jaejoong  to use it since you demons have a penchant for complicated riddles. You guys do not like simplicity. You always see or suspect that something is not what it seems. You would think that a dot is not just a dot but something else."

 

 

       The seconds began to tick. Jaejoong began to smile as Yang Hyun Suk's frown deepened. One could only give one answer. If that answer were wrong, he would lose.

 

 

       After twenty minutes, which was way much more than the time Junki took to solve Yang Hyun Suk's riddle, the latter surrendered. But Yang Hyun Suk still had a chance to win if Jaejoong couldn't provide an acceptable and logical answer.

 

 

       "Tell me the answer, half-demon!" Yang Hyun Suk demanded.

 

 

       "The answer is simple. The Rikarag didn't choose the right door because the Rikarag doesn't exist. There is

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter