CHAPTER 3

Angels and Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

Park Jin-young took the elevator to reach the fifteenth floor of Rancom building. He shared the elevator with two of his former officemates, Taecyeon and Wooyoung. Six months ago, the two men usually greeted him with friendly smiles and even called him 'sir' in respect to his position as section chief of accounting in the YG Conglomerates. But now, his two former officemates were trying their best to ignore his presence. Even if he greeted them, he suspected they would still continue pretending he wasn't there.

 

 

The two got off the elevator on the fourteenth floor where the office of the YG Conglomerates was located. Park Jin-young no longer worked for the company and was prohibited to even step inside the office. There was now a restraining order telling him to keep away from his former boss, Mr. Yang Hyunsuk, whom he had punched twice.

 

 

Park Jin-young got off on the fifteenth floor and headed straight to the janitor's closet positioned on the left side of the hall. After checking that no one was in the hall, he entered the closet and locked himself in. Ten years of working in this building made him privy to some of the secrets of the building. The janitor's closet was not really a closet but a small room where cleaning equipment were kept by the building's maintenance crew. It had a small window that could be opened from the inside. All other windows in the upper floors were securely locked in place to avoid any untoward incidents. The window was forced open by some maintenance employees who wanted to have a smoke but couldn't because building management ordered that hallways and restrooms were non-smoking areas.

 

 

Park Jin-young straightened his tie and made sure that his business suit was clean and free of wrinkles. He momentarily caught his reflection on the glass window.

 

 

Gone was the man with the beard and unruly hair. He was now clean-shaven. He also sported a new haircut. This was how he always looked when he was still working for YG Conglomerates. A respectable man. But his eyes still showed the pain and depression inside him. He was still a man who had nothing to live for.

 

 

Park Jin-young opened the window and stepped out on the ledge.

 

 

Standing on the ledge and looking down on the streets, Park Jin-young remembered the saying that your whole life would flash before you the moment before you die. He closed his eyes, and memories came flooding instantly.

 

 

He saw the face of his daughter, Suzy when she was still a baby. She was smiling, but her daughter had always smiled at him. He remembered the joy he felt when his wife, Gain, gave birth to Suzy, when he first cradled his daughter in his arms. The scene was soon followed by Suzy's second birthday. Park Jin-young sadly smiled as he remembered her wide-eyed innocence as she tried to blow the candles on her cake. And then even when he tried to stop himself, he saw her lying dead on the streets, ran over by a drunk driver.

 

 

 

The driver was never caught, and Park Jin-young became consumed with anger and depression at the injustice in this world. He and his wife began to fight until she couldn't take it anymore and left him. His work was soon affected and when Mr. Yang Hyunsuk confronted him, he lashed out and lost everything!

 

 

"You will never see your daughter on the other side, Park Jin-young," commented a man's deep voice beside him.

 

 

Park Jin-young opened his eyes. He was surprised to see a tall, athletic, young man wearing a long, white overcoat. He was standing on the right side of the ledge a few feet from where Park Jin-young stood. The young man's long dark hair fell below his shoulders.

 

 

"And even if you did, you will never recognize her. She won’t look the way you remembered her," the young man continued.

 

 

"Who are you?" Park Jin-young demanded angrily. Was the young man sent by the police to stop his suicide? "I have already decided. Nothing you say can change my decision! It’s my life! I have every right to take it!" He moved away from the young man.

 

 

The young man's dark eyes studied him. His eyes twinkled and turned golden! Surprised by this, Park Jin-young lost his footing and fell! He quickly plummeted to the asphalt streets below!

 

 

Blinding pain enveloped Park Jin-young as he felt his bones broke and shattered. The pain quickly disappeared and was replaced by darkness.

 

 

Park Jin-young knew he had left the world of the living. In the darkness, he tried to search for the light that would show him the way to the world where Suzy was waiting for him. After some time, he glimpsed a light from a distance. The light was grayish, similar yet not the same as the light the fading sun would leave behind before night covered the land.

 

 

He suddenly found himself surrounded by that light. His eyes widened when he discovered that he still had his human form. He was also surrounded by a vast forest. But a forest unlike any he had ever seen before. Some of the trees were dried-out husks, dead and blackened. The rest of the trees were misshapen and covered by moving vines... No. Those were not vines! Those were worm-like creatures strung together and moving as one!

 

 

The air was also thick with the smell of something dead and foul mixed with rotten eggs and garbage. He almost gagged. But there was nothing inside his stomach to throw out.

 

 

Park Jin-young tried to calm himself in spite of the gnawing realization that this forest didn't look like heaven or hell as often depicted in movies. His skin tingled, and the hairs on the back of his neck stood on their ends as he felt several eyes watching him.

 

 

Noises reached his ears. They were groans and moans that could not have come from a human being. Slowly, these voices formed words, words that brought fear to Park Jin-young's heart as he began to understand their meaning.

 

 

"Food...Food! Food!" The words became hoarse screams!

 

 

The ground before Park Jin-young started to move. Monsters from nightmares started crawling out of the ground! They were heading straight to Park Jin-young! Their gnarled arms stretched out, trying to reach him.

 

 

"No! Leave me alone!" he screamed in horror. He tried to run, but his feet wouldn't move. He looked down and saw to his horror that his feet were buried deep in the ground!

 

 

The monsters converged around him. Fear paralyzed Park Jin-young's body. All he could do was scream as the monster's long, dirty, clawed hands began to grab and tore his flesh from his body! Their mouths full of sharp teeth hungrily feasted on his body. He had become food for these monstrous creatures!

 

 

Park Jin-young screamed again and again as the monsters continued to tore him apart!

 

 

"Park Jin-young, you're still alive."

 

 

Park Jin-young blinked. He saw the young man with the long hair sitting on the ledge and looking down on him. His eyes had returned to their original black color.

 

 

Park Jin-young also found himself clinging to the ledge of the building. He was still alive. But his sweat-covered fingers were beginning to slip. His strength was fading as he tried to hold on to the ledge.

 

 

"In a few seconds, you would fall to your death," explained the young man in a calm voice. "And the place you glimpsed a moment ago would become your reality."

 

 

"W-What kind of place was that?" Park Jin-young demanded despite the fear he felt.

 

 

"That is the other side. The world were people from this world go after they die."

 

 

"That was hell? Am I going to hell if I kill myself?"

 

 

The young man slowly shook his head.

 

 

"Nope. That’s simply the other side. There's no heaven or hell, Park Jin-young. Those places were created to frighten people into submission or to give hope to those who are suffering. But in realit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter