CHAPTER 31

Angels and Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

The fifty-inch, flat television in the middle of the room instantly caught Bae Yong Jun's attention upon entering his private office in the Department of Armistice. In front of the TV was his assistant, JoongKi who was walking back and forth and seemed to be lost in thought.

 

 

JoongKi stopped walking when he noticed Bae Yong Jun's hard stare.

 

 

"You requested, sir, that you wanted to be updated in everything that Jaejoong is doing," the Seraph quickly explained.

 

 

"I don't see the connection of this TV to the reports I requested."

 

 

JoongKi placed a hand on the left corner of the TV.

 

 

"Sir, this TV is connected to the Information Network of Lightside! And INL is currently tracking down the whereabouts of Jaejoong. But like the Midnight Information Bureau, they still haven't found him. Every part of the globe is being scanned for his presence right this very minute by both INL and MIB using satellites and all available technologies as well as magic and spells. Even the moon and nearby asteroids and planets are being searched, but no one can find Jaejoong as if he had ceased to exist."

 

 

"Why is the TV monitor still blank?"

 

 

"Because, sir, we are connected directly to the tracking system of INL."

 

 

Bae Yong Jun frowned. He had no idea what JoongKi was saying. He wasn't good at understanding new technologies and gadgets being used by the Information Network of Lightside, popularly known as the INL. That department was the newest department created inside Lightside but despite its name, it functioned more like the human's media network. One could call it Lightside's version of a twenty-four-hour news TV. And of course its counterpart was the Midnight Information Bureau better known as MIB. INL was also the most gadget and technology-filled department. Everyone in the department was impossible to understand the moment they stared talking about their work. They had developed their own unique language called techno babble which Bae Yong Jun found hard to comprehend.

 

 

JoongKi began explaining.

 

 

"This means that the moment INL finds Jaejoong, our tracking signal will lock on him and we will be able to watch in real time via live streaming all the events that would be happening. It’s like having front seat tickets on a live show. We would be able to watch Jaejoong fighting the demon fighters in full HD!" JoongKi was bursting with excitement.

 

 

JoongKi was about to start another lengthy explanation when his iPhone rang. He answered it and his features immediately glowed!

 

 

"Sir," he turned to Bae Yong Jun, "our agents currently monitoring the movements of the three demon hunters had sent reports that all three are now together and heading toward one direction, Ukraine!"

 

 

 

Bae Yong Jun sat on his chair. The Jaejoong he had talked to before the death warrant was issued was normal and very sane. He was of course lusting after Dara. But that's normal and couldn't be considered as being insane, although some would dispute that. But in Bae Yong Jun's opinion, Jaejoong had not turned into a monster. Though Bae Yong Jun had noticed that Jaejoong still possessed both his angelic and demonic nature.

 

 

So, why did the Midnight Corp. order a death warrant? Only one answer came to Bae Yong Jun's mind. Midnight had failed in turning Jaejoong into a full demon. Because of this, the Dark Council had decided to eliminate Jaejoong by creating trumped-up charges and claims to be able to issue a death warrant.

 

 

If Jaejoong would decide to become part of Lightside now, Bae Yong Jun could use his influence to keep him from being put to an endless sleep as the corporation try to find a way to cleanse him of his demon nature. By becoming part of Lightside, Jaejoong would be instantly protected from the death warrant. The demon hunters would lose their claim and right to Jaejoong since the Treaty between the companies strictly forbade the issuance of a death warrant to any Lightside employee. If Midnight really wanted to dispose of Jaejoong, they would have to go through the proper channels and apply permissions to challenge Jaejoong to a fight. That would take time and therefore would temporarily keep Jaejoong alive for a while.

 

 

But such a scenario would only be possible if Jaejoong would call him and change allegiances. Right now, Bae Yong Jun's hands were tied. He had no power or control to change the half-angel's fate.

 

 

"Has Jaejoong called?" Bae Yong Jun asked JoongKi.

 

 

JoongKi shook his head in response to Bae Yong Jun's question.

 

 

Bae Yong Jun frowned. He had a hunch Dara was the reason Jaejoong hadn't called. It was also possible that she and the Siesmyres were hiding Jaejoong. The Siesmyres had the power to completely hide their presence from both Lightside and Midnight. But their powers had a limit. They couldn't hide themselves or anyone forever.

 

 

The invisibility barrier being used by the Tarosians to hide their village only lasted for eight hours. Before it could be put up again, the barrier needed at least a five-minute cooling off period. Bae Yong Jun used this short amount of time and proper timing to scan the village for the presence of Jaejoong and he succeeded.

 

 

The demon hunters were also using this technique when they searched all the villages and clans of the Siesmyre. The village and clan hiding Jaejoong would pay a steep price. Most probably, their whole village would be destroyed and their clan killed off to extinction. Midnight was always serious in teaching those who dared go against them or hide their enemies a lesson that would never be forgotten. The Siesmyres were no match for Midnight. Only Lightside had the power to protect Jaejoong.

 

 

"Sir, have you heard the news that the Andaryad is currently in the headquarters of Midnight? It is rumored that she is negotiating with them regarding the death warrant for Jaejoong," said JoongKi.

 

"Knowing her, I already expected such a move."

 

 

"Do you think she will succeed in stopping the death warrant?"

 

 

"Nothing can stop the demon hunters except their deaths."

 

 

The large television monitor suddenly came to life! The images they were seeing were coming from a satellite high above the earth. Bae Yong Jun saw the overview of the planet. It was focused on the continent of Europe and Asia. Slowly, the camera zoomed in to the country of Ukraine.

 

 

"They must have found Jaejoong!" exclaimed JoongKi who stood before the TV screen blocking Bae Yong Jun's view.

 

 

"JOONGKI! I can't see anything!" Bae Yong Jun complained.

 

 

"S-Sorry, sir." He moved away from the TV screen. He pulled a chair near the left side of the TV and sat down, his face full of anticipation. His eyes now totally transfixed to the TV screen.

 

 

The TV screen showed Bae Yong Jun the three demon hunters rushing toward the country of Ukraine. Then the scene changed and Jaejoong came into focus. Jaejoong was currently standing on the roof of an old abandoned building. He was looking at the direction where the demon hunters were coming.

 

 

"Is he planning to fight the demon hunters on his own?" JoongKi gasped in fear. "He doesn't stand a chance to defeat those three all by himself! Only a crazy person would think that. The rumors about him going insane must be true..." his voice trailed off.

 

 

"Look closely, JoongKi. He is not alone."

 

 

 

 

 

JoongKi brought his face closer to the screen. His mouth opened in shock. He had finally noticed the different things scattered all over the rooftop.

 

 

There were several birds, insects, leaves, twigs and seedling pods. There was also a balloon, a kite, a pinwheel and even a small toy airplane and other inconsequential things one would readily label as garbage. At first glance, one would think that these non-living things were left behind by the former residents of the ghost town where the building was located. One would also assume that all of these were garbage and the presence of the birds and insects were mere coincidence if one was not familiar with the Finder Unit of the Siesmyres.

 

 

"These are Finders!" shouted the Seraph. "But how could they help Jaejoong?"

 

 

Bae Yong Jun had long suspected that the Finder Unit didn't just find things and information for the Siesmyres. Their true abilities remained a closely guarded secret, though one could deduce each of the Finder's individual ability based on the clan they belonged to. But as a collective unit, none had yet seen what they were really capable of doing.

 

 

One after the other, each of the Finders began leaving the rooftop. Some flew, others jumped or glided but most performed acts of movement Bae Yong Jun couldn't find words to describe properly. The only one left was the white pigeon with the grey wing. This Finder was perched on Jaejoong's right shoulder. By the movement of his beak, it was clear he was telling Jaejoong something...

 

 

 

 

 

Bae Yong Jun strained for several seconds to hear the conversation between the two before he realized that there was really no sound coming from the TV!

 

 

"Why is there no sound, JoongKi?" he complained.

 

 

"Wait a minute, sir." He began calling someone from his phone.

 

 

Bae Yong Jun ignored his assistant's phone conversation and focused on the TV screen. The camera was zooming in on Jaejoong's face. Jaejoong had started talking. If only Bae Yong Jun had learned how to read lips, he would understand what Jaejoong was saying. But though he couldn't hear what Jaejoong was saying, it was clear from the latter's expression that he wasn't afraid of the coming danger. In fact, he looked excited.

 

 

"Sir," JoongKi called Bae Yong Jun's attention, "the INL is having a problem with its signals. There are too many trying to watch this, including those from Midnight Corp. I am not really sure what my contact meant about INL and MIB's signal and connection overlapping each other and resulting to the cancellation of the audio. But he assured me that they are trying to fix this network problem and that audio would soon be restored."

 

 

Something crossed Bae Yong Jun's mind. Jaejoong was showing too much confidence in his upcoming fight. Did this have anything to do with Na-young's crossbow? It was now clear that Jaejoong only recreated Na-young's bow by using an illusion because he never summoned the r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter