CHAPTER 1

Angels and Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bae Yong Jun had been the ambassador for Lightside Inc. for several thousands of years now. The corporation and his position were created after the Great War between angels and demons. That war resulted in the deaths of thousands of his angelic brethren. The angels were almost decimated as their battles against the demons continued day and night for years. But the demon side also suffered such casualties to the point that both camps had no choice but to stop the battle and come to a temporary ceasefire.

 

 

Faced with extinction, both sides agreed to send ten of each of their brethren as representatives for a possible truce negotiation. Neither side wanted to invite the other into their own realm, so a mutual place was chosen for the meeting. It was in an uninhabited island in the human world. The first rounds of talks resulted to bickering and fights that culminated with the deaths of all representatives. The island itself also failed to survive and was forever erased from the face of the earth.

 

 

Leaders of both camps knew that if they would once again go to war with each other, there's a big possibility for the total extinction of both their races. Since neither wanted that to happen, they decided to once again send representatives to another truce negotiation. This time, only three from each side were chosen as representatives. In case another fighting ensued, the fatalities would be minimized.

 

 

The second attempt for a peaceful negotiation almost succeeded. But the centuries of bitterness, different opinions, beliefs and hatred toward one another once again surfaced and resulted to an all out-fight. Another island disappeared from the face of the earth. But not all the representatives died in this meeting.

 

 

Two had survived. One from the side of the demons, named appropriately Joo Jin Mon, and the surviving angel was Bae Yong Jun.

 

 

On the third attempt for a solution and compromise, only Bae Yong Jun and Joo Jin Mon were sent as representatives of their brethren. Since both of them had faced each other in battle and survived as well as found a grudging respect for each other, the negotiation for the coexistence between angels and demons finally began. Rules and by laws were formulated and agreed by the two. It was far from a peaceful treaty since the creation of such rules would still allow each side to continue fighting each other for domination but without the loss of lives from either side. Breaking the rules of the Treaty by any angel or demon would result to appropriate punishment from both sides. No one would be exempted from the rules.

 

 

It was also during this time that the corporations were established. The angels created the Lightside Inc. and the demons had their Midnight Corp. The treaty forged by Bae Yong Jun and Joo Jin Mon were constantly being amended and revised by both parties in order to perfect and strengthen it as crisis upon crisis always arose between the two sides through the centuries.

 

 

The threat of another great war between the Lightside and Midnight corporations were always looming. But the Treaty remained intact and continued holding back the escalation of fights and disagreements between the two groups. In spite of the existence of the Treaty, both sides remained committed to their causes and continually tried to outmaneuver one another.

 

 

Both sides knew that the Treaty would become moot and academic the moment one side managed to become stronger than the other. Once either corporation had accumulated enough power and manpower, it would launch an attack to overpower their enemy or at least weaken and enslave the other side. But as long as their powers remained equal to each other, Midnight and Lightside would continue to abide by the rules of the Treaty.

 

 

As centuries passed, despite the best efforts of both sides, no one managed to accumulate the power needed to defeat the other. Whenever one side managed to acquire power, the other side would immediately move to gain power thus resulting to another stalemate. The Great War had taught the two corporations that going to war again with each other in such circumstances would only result to total annihilation of both their races. Neither corporation wanted that to happen.

 

 

Because of the stalemate, peace reigned through the centuries.

 

 

During this peaceful co-existence between Lightside Inc. and Midnight Corp., mankind continued to grow in numbers and achieve technological advances.

 

 

As in the time of the dawn of mankind in the world, the precious souls of each human being dictated the amount of power for each corporation. The corporation who could claim the most number of souls to their side would become the most powerful. And if one side managed to gain a great amount of souls, then they would gain the advantage and would be in the position to totally defeat their mortal enemy and rule over the worlds of men, angels and demons.

 

 

Each corporation had different ways of gaining human souls. Lightside Inc. used human devotions and beliefs to a god or gods, depending on what religion a human believed in. Lightside supported and promoted all kinds of religions. Any person who continued believing in a god or prophet instantly went to Lightside Inc.

 

 

The Midnight Corp., meanwhile, gathered their devoted human souls through their promotion and support of art and culture that reject anything related to religion and exalt freedom of expression, pleasure and sensuality.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bae Yong Jun quietly watched the never ending competition between Lightside and Midnight from his office, the Department of Armistice. Most of the employees in his department were dedicated to gathering information about the latest activities of Midnight as well as their own corporation, the Lightside Inc. These facts and information helped him in forming amendments to the Treaty favorable to Lightside and in creating petitions against Midnight employees which he would present to his demon counterpart, Kim Min Jong.

 

 

His assistant, the Seraph Song JoongKi was the one who usually provided him with the latest news and information regarding the two companies. JoongKi was transferred to the Department of Armistice after Bae Yong Jun's former assistant had his wings clipped when he got involved in a brawl with a Midnight employee in an earthly bar. Bae Yong Jun never tolerated such behavior and had his former assistant demoted and transferred to another department.

 

 

JoongKi was still young and had just come from Seraphim training. He was also still naive in the ways of the world. But he was a hard worker and good in doing research. Seraphs were by nature perfect for the job of being assistants because they were born that way. All angels were born to perform their destined duty for the Lightside. And the Seraphim class had always supported the other class of angels. Virtues like Bae Yong Jun had always preferred Seraphs for his assistant. He, like his brethren, believed that tampering with what nature had intended for each angel was never a good idea.

 

 

The angels had learned this hard lesson during the Great War where everyone, even the Virtues, were forced to take up arms and fight the demons. Virtues by nature were negotiators and peacemakers. They were never born to become warriors like some of the other angels. Because of their peaceful nature, the Virtues were the first ones to die during the Great War. Though they were capable of using weapons to defend themselves, the brutal attacks of the demons eventually brought them down. Bae Yong Jun managed to survive due to luck and his ability to talk his way out of a fight. He was able to delay the attacks of the demons and give the Archangels enough time to arrive and save him.

 

 

JoongKi voice interrupted Bae Yong Jun's short trip to memory lane.

 

 

"Sir, which news do you want to hear first, the latest about the activities of the Lightside Inc. or about the Midnight Corp.?" inquired the Seraph.

 

 

"The good news," was Bae Yong Jun's quick reply.

 

 

JoongKi paused and tried to clear his throat. He looked uneasy as his fingers began quickly typing on the keyboard of the laptop he was holding.

 

 

The Department of Armistice, like any other offices of Lightside, made use of gadgets, computers and electronic appliances. Lightside had long since discovered that human technology could make all their office work much quicker and efficient. Data storage and file arrangement systems were now easy. No more large storage rooms that went on for miles and that often resulted to some low-ranked angels getting lost for days. And best of all, information could be retrieved in seconds by the tap of a button.

 

 

Of course, human technology was flawed. But Lightside had employees who had perfected these flawed pieces of technology. Though they still called the gadgets and appliances as electronics, none of these use electricity. All of them had their own source of power that would last forever.

 

 

Midnight also used such technology, and some of their employees had been known for boasting that they were the ones who inspired those science geeks in the human world to be able to create these technologies. Lightside would of course offer their own version where they were the ones who put these ideas inside those human geniuses.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter