Bidders

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Girlfriend

 

It’s the day of the event and Jinsuk decided to meet me at my house for additional details. Fortunately, EXO had other plans that night so I was a bit relieved to know that they won’t keep checking up on me.

My nerdy friend brought along with her an army of clothes, shoes, accessories, including a stylist and makeup artist. I was all dolled up from head to toe that even Sungmin who was sitting on my bed dropped his jaw after seeing me. I wore a light pink tube dress with encrusted gems.

“Noona, you look like a barbie doll. Uwaaaa~” his eyes was glistening.

“Really?” I asked and he nodded excitedly.

I kept checking myself out in front of a tall mirror when the stylist unnie fixed my soft curls. Jinsuk then walked up to me and placed down a pair of silver killer heels in front of me. “Here put this on…”

“Seriously sis? You want me to stand in those?” I protested.

“What do you expect? Go barefoot? C’mon Sunmi, you already agreed to this so might as well go all out.” she chuckled.

“Excuse me? For the record, you begged… Ani… you forced me into this!” then I slipped into the shoes. I can feel myself towering all of them and my head spun for a bit after the sudden change of height. “Woah…” the makeup artist held my arm to keep me still after I wobbled.

I forced myself to walk so I can adjust to the deadly weapons stuck in my feet. But as time goes by, my calves started to get stiff and scream in agony. ‘! This is gonna be a pain in the !’

“I’m gonna kill you, Jinsuk. You should know by now how hard this is. Urgh!” I stomped my foot.

“Miahn… I feel guilty already for getting you into this. Jeungmal miahnaeyo…” she pouted and I just sighed in defeat. “It’s okay… It’s the least I can do anyway after all these years… I'm doing this for the kids in the hospital and you owe me BIG TIME!” I pointed a finger to her face.

“I know… Thanks Sunmi!” she hugged me. “Now let’s go. I still have to meet up with the organizers.”

Then I walked to my brother. “Sungmin-ah, the stylist unnie will look after you until noona comes home, okay?” and he nodded. “Don’t stay up too late and brush your teeth before going to sleep.” I pinched his cheek.

“Neh! Have fun! You look jjang!” he raised a thumb to me. “Bye bye Jinsuk noona!” he added.

“Good night, Sungmin!” she then kissed my brother’s head and I did the same on his lips. “G’night sweetie! Saranghae!” and he wiped his mouth when a lipstick stained.

“You’re brother is the cutest ever. He’s so sweet and adorable!” Jinsuk beamed as she held my hand down the stairs. “He is!” I replied.

She drove to Seoul with the makeup artist on the back. The black tie event will be held at the grand ballroom of Ritz Carlton that will be attended by SMU’s board of directors and students as well.

There were only a couple of students who just arrived as well and I felt uncomfortable as their eyes stripped me. They all looked dapper in an all black suit and I could hardly tell who’s who from there improved personas. But I’m pretty sure I saw Nu’est in a corner fixing their coats, BAP stood a few meters away with a lot of swag, and BtoB huddled across them in their charismatic stance.

“Jinsuk-ah?” I whispered as my eyes scanned the whole lobby.

“Hmmm?” she asked.

“What happened to the other female population of the school? Why is it that I only see the freshmen guys?”

“Coz this event is only open for the namjas…” she whispered.

“What? So you’re telling me they will be the one to bid?” she nodded and I slapped my forehead. “Holy milkening cow, Jinsuk! Just kill me, please?”

“Sorry sis, I can’t! Let’s head to the backstage.” she then tugged my wrist.

I swear those boys are worse than girls when gossiping. I could even hear them talking.

“Hot damn… I am so gonna get her later!” the leader of BAP murmured. He was biting his lip while looking at me from head to toe so I rolled my eyes as he met my gaze. “Yeah right! She suits me better.” a black haired guy beside him winked at me after.

‘Oh God! Testosterones are raging wild and free.’ I shook my head.

Jinsuk had to attend to some matters so she left me with the makeup artist. I sat in front of a lighted mirror while she added the final touch on my hair and face. “Unnie, I’m nervous.”

“Don’t think about it, Sunmi. You look great! In fact, you look way so much better than any of the girls in here.” her smile reflected through the mirror.

“I don’t care about that. It’s just that I feel something bad is about to happen.” I fidgeted.

“Hey… You’re just being paranoid. Those butterflies in your stomach are to blame for that. Stay calm and you’ll be okay.”

After she finished, I suddenly have the urge to pop my head out of the curtains from the stage. My eyes were almost blinded by the shimmering chandelier lights. It was breathtaking. Everything was in gold and white and a podium stood in the middle of the floor which I think is for the mc. The fresh flowers gave off a calming aroma but it did nothing on my nerves.

I panicked even more at the beautiful yet intimidating sight and worse, a horde of equally handsome-gorgeous-distracting guys started filling the tables.

Jinsuk suddenly popped her head underneath me and looked up to me. “Yah! You need to get back in there. The show is about to start!”

“I will… Care to tell me first, who are those people?” we scanned the room and our heads move simultaneously as she tell me some group names.

“The one nearest the center is DBSK, the kings of SMU.”

“Uwaaa~ Jinsuk-ah, they’re godly!” my eyes could never deceive me at such five perfect creations.

“I know right!” she giggled and continued. “Those behind them are some members of Super Junior.”

“Not bad! The tallest looks beyond handsome.” my mouth kept dropping.

“That’s Choi Siwon…” Jinsuk added. “ And look! Shinee’s on the other side!” she pointed with and I followed.

“Aigoo~ Jinki oppa looks dashing! I forgot his friends though…” I chuckled.

“Don’t mind them. We have a lot of things to do… Now let’s go!”

Just as we were about to leave the curtains, a group of boys entered late and caught everyone’s attention. “!” I heard Jinsuk cussed.

“What?” I looked down to her.

“They’re here!” she didn’t even have to point coz my eyes were instantly drawn to the familiar faces.

“Holy ! Jinsuk! E.X.O!!!” They were all in suits with bow ties and Sehun just pawned everyone in the room with his extremely attractive self. My brain however short-circuited. It refused to function and my feet seemed like it has a life of its own as I staggered to the backstage. “Eottokke! Eottokke! Andwae! This can’t be happening.” I paced back and forth.

Jinsuk held my shoulders to stop me. “Sunmi-ah. It’s good that they’re here. At least they can bid for you and don’t have to go through all the trouble in spending time with a stranger.”

“I guess so…” I blew out an air and looked towards the direction of the hall. “I am so dead when Sehun sees me.” I almost cried.

“Don’t worry, sweetie. I’ll explain everything to him and will take full responsibility.” she rubbed my trembling arms.

Then a scrawny black-haired man with glasses approached us. “Jinsuk-ah, is this your friend you’re talking about?”

“Jaesuk oppa! Neh!” and she introduced us. “This is Sunmi, my chingu… Sunmi-ah, this is Yoo Jaesuk one of my professors and the mc for tonight.”

“Annyeong haseyo!” I bowed.

“Annyeong haseyo… Uwaaa~ You’re beautiful, Sunmi-shi. You’ll definitely rake in a whole lot of bids and it will greatly benefit the cancer patients in the children hospital. Thank you so much!” he shook my hand and bowed 90 degrees.

I suddenly calmed down at his warm words and my worries all vanished. It was after all for a good cause and should stop thinking about myself. “You’re very much welcome, sir! I’ll do anything to help those who need it.”

“Just call me Jaesuk oppa, no need to be formal.” and I smiled shyly.

The director of the event suddenly clapped his hand. “Let’s start!”

The quirky mc tapped my arm and raised a fist. “Hwaiting!” I followed as well. “Hwaiting Jaesuk oppa!”

'You can do this, Sunmi. Don't take it personally. This is for the kids!' I pinned a mental note to my brain.