Homecoming

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Girlfriend

 

Sunmi called her uncle before leaving Jeju. She asked him to meet them at her old apartment where she will stay the moment she comes back. He and GD explained to Sungmin what’s gonna happen and took him as well.

Of course, Sehun was not happy about it. But all he could do was wait for the right time and hope it’s just temporary.

Jaejoong and Sunmi arrived in Seoul at half past eight. They were picked up by a black Escalade and brought straight home.

“How are you holding up?” he asked.

“I-I’m co-cool…” she faked a smile.

He held her hand and kissed the back of it. “Everything’s gonna be fine. Take it easy! Just relax… Deep breaths… If you don’t feel like talking, then don’t! If you wanna scream, shout, cry, whatever makes you feel better, then go for it! Jaejoong oppa will always be with you! Okay?”

“Okay!” she blew out a huge air.

Luxurious cars were piled in a curb in front of an old building. DBSK huddled on one side, EXO on the other side and Sunmi’s family stood between them.

“Hyung! They’re here!” GD nudged Teddy. They saw the black SUV slowing down that eventually came to a stop. Both excitement and anxiety hang in the air. Time stopped for them but the rest of the world was in fast forward.

Jaejoong stepped out first then reached out a hand. Sunmi took it and they finally saw a glimpse of her. She was no longer the lively, upbeat and quirky girl. Her face was gaunt with cheeks that could almost pop out. The skinny jeans hugged her slim thighs while her white V neck shirt exposed her sinking collarbone. She looked frail that a wind could blow her away. Jaejoong took off his jacket and made her wear it. “Aigooo~ Seems like winter is coming. You need to pack up some fats in your body to make you warm…” he snorted.

“Oppaaaa…” she lightly smiled.

Changmin then nudged Junsu. “I think you just lost your girlfriend.” he snorted.

“Mwoh? Hell no!” the latter scoffed.

“NOONA!!!” Sungmin escaped from his uncle’s grasp and ran to her. She kneeled and stretched her arms out. He landed on her chest which almost toppled her but Jaejoong held her back. She wrapped her bony arms around his body and hugged him as tight as she could with little strength she have. “Aigooo~ Miahnae Sungmin-ah! Please forgive me…”

“It’s okay. I’m happy as long as you’re here now!” he rested his chin on her shoulder.

“Don’t worry... Noona, won’t go anywhere. I promise!”

“Yay!” he beamed. “Can you carry me, please? I miss you so much already…” he pouted and Sunmi looked up to Jaejoong. “Ermmm… Why don’t I carry you instead?” he asked. “Noona is a bit tired already.”

“Okay!” he smiled and reached up both arms to Jaejoong. “Aigooo~ You should give some of this to noona. Look how thin she is!” he tapped his belly.

“Shireo! I’ll just share to her my ice cream so she can get some of this!” he poked his own belly as well.

The three of them walked towards the anxiously waiting crowd. Jaejoong went to DBSK while Sunmi walked to Teddy and GD. Without saying words to each other, she placed each of her arms around their shoulder. “Teddy oppa! Jiyong oppa! Miahnaeyo…” she cried.

“It’s okay sweetie… What’s important is that you’re okay and back to us.” Teddy said.

“That’s right… Just promise us you won’t do it again…” GD added.

“I promise, I won’t!” she sniffed.

Sunmi pulled away and went to EXO. Jinsuk hugged her right away after she stopped in front of them. “You’re crazy! Did you know how I much I hated you for doing that? Huh? You almost killed me Sunmi!” she cried.

“Miahnae Jinsuk-ah. I know it was so stupid of me. I’m really sorry!” their tears flowed nonstop then Chanyeol hugged them. “Aigooo~ My girls…” he whimpered.

“Sunmi-ah… Don’t you ever do that again, a’right? You can always talk to us, y’know!” Luhan kissed her head and hugged the girls as well. “I’m sorry…” were the only words she kept saying. Baekhyun joined the cryfest.  “Who would’ve thought this girl right here would make EXO shed so much tears.” he laughed while crying.

“Miahnae…”

“Stop it, Sunmi… We already heard you once…” Chanyeol sniffled.

“I love you guys…” she gasped to catch her breath.

DO refused to join the group since he could almost hyperventilate from too much crying. He was the first one to drop a tear when he saw her hugged Sungmin. “We know that… That’s why we can’t afford to lose you, Sunmi! You’re the only one who puts up with us!”

Tao and Lay remained standing behind them trying to hold back their tears.

They all broke apart when Kris cleared his throat and she approached him. “Kris? *gasp* I know you’re mad at me *gasp* and I’ll understand if you will never talk to me…” her lungs were yearning for air as she talk and cry at the same time. “…I hope you forgive me…”

Then Kris suddenly pulled her into a tight and warm embrace. “Shut up! Shut the up! I don’t wanna hear you talk…” he closed his eyes and pressed his cheeks on her as they rekindle each other’s touch. “… I just want to feel you again… Oh God, I miss you so much Sunmi!”

“Kri…isss…” she murmured his name in between gasps.

They remained standing cheek to cheek with her tears drenching their faces. “I thought I lost you, Sunmi! I really thought I won’t see you again, hug you again, feel you again… It hurts so much!” and tears finally escaped his lids after his chest exploded. “I feel worthless when I couldn’t do anything for you. I was supposed to be there for you, help you, cry for you, hurt for you… But I didn’t! I failed you!” Kris sobbed.

Seeing his brother broke down, Tao's first drop of tear was about to fall. He blinked it away.

“You okay?” Lay asked.

He turned his head from him, and pressed a finger on his lashes. “Something got in my eye...” and didn't say another word. Another tear formed in his eyes, and this time he let it roll down his cheek. Then Lay gently patted his shoulder.

Sunmi lightly pulled back and held Kris’ face. “No you didn’t! You’ve always been there for me! You never gave up on me! It was me who failed all of you!” she sniffed. Kris took her hands off, placed it around his waist then wiped her tears with his thumb. “I was trying so hard to understand why you had to do it but I don’t care anymore. I’m happy that you’re here now. I’m not asking you to be happy again but don’t entertain those thoughts again, araseo?”

“Neehhh…” she sobbed and they hugged again. “I think you should see Jongin already…” he whispered and they broke apart.

There he was, standing with a cocky and tough looking stance just a foot away from Kris.  His hands were in the pocket of his jeans with blank eyes only glued to her. Eyes that didn’t show any emotions. Not a single tear dropped. Not even a single twitch.

Sunmi ran up to him and lunged for a hug. She wrapped her arms around his neck and couldn’t bring herself to stop crying yet he remained still. Hands in his pockets, chin on her shoulder, however, his eyes were shut. “Jo…Jongin…” she muttered.

Hearing her calling his name orchestrated in his ears. It was the only music he wanted to listen. Then Kai softened. His hands slowly moved around her waist and pressed her back to his chest. “Jongin…*gasp*…Miahnae…” she cried.

Kai became tense with every sob that escape her lips. It was like a knife, slitting, stabbing, slashing his stoned heart into pieces. ‘That’s enough Sunmi… I can’t take it anymore…’ Tears welled up but he refused to let go. Not now when he is supposed to be strong for her. Not now when he is ready to show he is man enough to love her more.

But having her in his arms was his kryptonite.

His mind has been witnessing wave after wave of emotion as it crashed down. His lip trembled and with it brought a fresh set of salty tears to leak from his eyes. His face, the once blank canvas, broke. She was there wrapped tightly in his arms. To protect. To love. To cherish. And it's not just Sunmi who came back. His strength. His life. His heart... and he exploded in tears.

The droplets fell on top of her hair. His arms incessantly craved for her. His blurred vision was hungry to look at her glum face.

A soft smooth hand was brought to his jaw wiping the tears from his cheeks, Sunmi's eyes too were already swelling. “It’s okay Jongin… Please don’t cry…” she smiled through her tears.

But it was the total opposite, Kai cried even more. He held her shoulders and pressed his lips on her forehead. His tears were like waterfalls that ended up dropping on her cheeks. “Please don’t cry…” she kept whispering. 'You're making me weak, Kkamjong!'

“If you don’t…wanna see me…kill myself…don’t ever try…running away from me.” he wept through the words.

“I won’t…Jongin…” and they stood in a tight embrace. “Forgive me...”

“It’s okay… You’re here now… Sshhhh…” he pressed her head on his chest.

After all the overwhelming emotions, Sehun remained in his car watching her from afar breaking down in his best friend’s arms.

“That’s supposed to be me, GODDAMNIT!!!” he slammed his fist on the steering wheel.

“Dude, it won’t help you if you let jealousy eat you.  You need to control your temper or it’ll be worse!” Suho laid a hand on his shoulder.

Sehun sunk his face between his arms on the wheel trying to make sense out of all that is happening. He felt betrayed. He's been crumpled and stepped upon not just once but multiple times. He felt like people around him takes pleasure in hurting him. Making him feel worthless. Showing how useless he can be. It killed his self esteem, especially his trust.

But everything seemed too fast to comprehend. His stomach lurches into his throat, choking him and making a huge tangle of his insides. His world started to spin and worse, he became numb.

The rage is now starting a slow burning sensation in his chest forming into a volcano that is about to blow. “UGGGHHHH!!!” he groaned.

“Sehun-ah… Listen to me! Never lose hope in Sunmi. If she would always be the reason why you’re hurting, who cares? She’d still be the very reason why your heart beats anyway! I’m pretty sure, she feels the same… Just give her time, okay?” he patted his shoulder this time.

“Neehhh…” he sobbed.