The Fallen

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Girlfriend

 

Kris and I were sitting on the bench while watching the top groups play football. They played after the sun has set so it was a bit cooler. EXO and DBSK went up against Super Junior and Shinee. It was more like a friendly work out game rather than competing hard with each other.

Loyal groupies and rabid fan girls who sat on the bleachers were squealing and spazzing over their respective bets and I would cringe at how they would go ballistic upon hearing another girl bad mouth their biases.

“My oppa is better than yours!” says one.

“Mworago? Hell no! Look at Siwon oppa, he can totally crush your Taemin with his hard rock abs!” replies the other.

I shook my head as I felt embarrass for them while Kris suddenly took a marker from his backpack to scribble on my cast. He sat crossed leg in front of me and stooped down to my left arm. He had his jersey on but chose to accompany me instead. “So! I heard you finally met Sehun’s parents?”

“Mhmmm…” I mumbled.

“Lemme guess… It didn’t went well?” he raised his head to see my face and my lips curled downwards. “Tell me what happened…” he continued writing Chinese characters on my arm.

“It was really not a disaster but it’s safe to say that his dad doesn’t like me… Kris, is your dad scary as well?” I watched his head move around trying to check his artwork.

“Wae? If I say he’s nice, are you gonna leave Sehun and be with me?” he snickered then I snatched his marker and threatened to throw it to his fan girls. “I’m just kidding! Give it back, Sunmi!”

I handed it to him and he slid it back to his bag while I straightened up to watch Sehun shuffle the ball around his feet. Kris moved closer to my side and placed an arm around my shoulder. “Well… Given Tao’s martial arts skills and my love-hate relationship with violence, let’s just say our fu qin is the only person who can tame us.”

“Uwaaaa~ He must be really scary then?” and he nodded his head.

“But I guess most dad’s are. It’s their way of saying, ‘Hey, I’m the man of this house! I’m strong and no one can mess with my family!’ Y’know, that kinda thing.” Kris pinched my nose.

“But not my appa. He’s really sweet, caring, and kind. He’s the exact male version of my mom.” I smiled.

“I said most, not all!” we kept our eyes on the field. “Just give Sehun’s dad some time. Once he gets to know you, I’m pretty sure he will soften up right away.”

The characters on my cast however caught my attention and I asked him what it was. “It says wo ai ni…” he said.

“What does it mean?” I the weird handwriting on the fabric that wrapped my arm.

He gulped and looked from side to side. “Ermmm… It means…” he bit his lip for a bit and continued. “It means, be careful…” he faked a smile.

“Ahhhh… What about this? What does it say?” I pointed a set of characters with a heart below it then my name underneath it written in English.

“Oh! That’s *cough* Wu Fan *cough*” he cleared his throat.

“What? I didn’t get it?” I scratched my temple.

“Ermmm… That’s Sehun’s name in Chinese.” he explained with a wider grin. “So it basically says, Sehun ❤ Sunmi!" he added.

I believed him despite the fact that he’s lying. ‘Yeah right, Kris! Wait ‘til I ask Luhan about this!’ I thought while staring at him.

Some girls were already boring a hole through my skull as we continued to converse. Just as I was about to lash out on them, my fake boyfriend in DBSK tapped his shoulder. “Yo Kris! Go take my spot for a bit!”

“Ye sunbae!”

Kris left and was replaced by Junsu. I handed him a towel and his water bottle. “Komawo!” he beamed and drank. “Ahhhh~”

The game was a bit boring coz all I could see were a bunch of guys running back and forth trying to get a ball into a goal.

Junsu then placed an arm around my shoulder. “Eeewwww~ Oppa, you’re sticky with sweat!” I shoved it away.

“You better get used to it honey. Football is my game and I’m the captain of this team!” he bragged.

My jaw dropped and I glared at him. “You’re enjoying this so much, don’t you?”

His eyebrows moved up and down in amusement. “Of course! Jaejoongie is dying of jealousy already. BWA-HA-HA!” his eyes bulged with his demonic laugh.

“You guys are too old for this… Aish!” I facepalmed.

Junsu suddenly straightened up and made me face him. “Sunmi-ah, I hope you won’t take it against Jaejoong with the way he acts around you.”

“Ehh? I don’t actually! But now that you mentioned it, I wanna know why he does it?” I wondered.

“You see… The reason why he likes you so much is b’coz you remind him of his first and what we all thought his last love, Minyoung. You look like her, talk like her, scowls like her, you even get into a lot of trouble just like her!”

“Then what happened?”

Junsu took a deep breath and draped his towel around his neck. “She passed away last year after her body surrendered to Leukemia. Jaejoong knew about her illness but he chose to be with her until her last breath.” he paused as I listened attentively and continued.

“Then he slipped into depression. He refused to talk to us, he wouldn’t eat nor drink, heck if he could stop breathing, he would. He chose to stay in his room to sleep coz for him, it was his only way of seeing her. Minyoung was his lifeline and when she left, Jaejoong’s soul went with her.” I finally understood what Sehun had to go through when I was in the brink of death.

“One day, he suddenly have the courage to leave his room but still remained lifeless. He took baby steps to recovery but it was better than nothing. It was just a miracle that he attended the auction and then he saw you!” my eyes kept glancing to the field and Junsu talked.

“Believe me when I say this Sunmi, it was the first time in my existence seeing a person being brought back to life right before my eyes. Jaejoong stood right away after seeing you and we knew he’s gonna be fine.”

I turned my attention to the field and saw him kicking the ball while being chased by Onew and Eunhyuk. Happiness can be seen all over his face even though he was panting hard. His face glowed despite being drenched in sweat and his wet hair glistened as it catches the halogen light that brightened the whole field.

“What you’re seeing is Kim Jaejoong and his second life. It’s all thanks to you, Sunmi.” Junsu kept his arm around my shoulder and rubbed the goose bumps off.

“What should I do?” I muttered.

“Just don’t get tired of him nor hate him. He’s just trying to teach himself what love is and what it feels like. He’s not gonna destroy you and Sehun... Jaejoong is not that kind of person.”

“Thanks oppa… At least now I know why…” I smiled.

“But don’t forget your obligations to me, of course! Just so you know, I’m the jealous type!” he warned me while pointing a finger to my face.

I lightly punched his tummy after. “You’re unbelievable, Kim Junsu!”

After the captain got scolded for almost spending the entire second half sitting on the bench, he decided to run back to the field and replace Sehun.

My man sat beside me while I wiped his drenched face. “What were you guys talking about? It seemed serious.” he asked.

“It was about Jaejoong oppa and how he got depressed after his girlfriend died.” then I handed him his water bottle.

“Oh no! He must’ve suffered a lot.” then he drank while keeping an eye on me.

“Yeah, he did!”

Sehun placed the plastic bottle on his gym bag and cupped my face. “That’s why you should never leave me or I will suffer worse. Araseo?”

“Yes sir!” I saluted him.

“Now let’s go! Kyungsoo hyung and Sungmin must be hungry waiting for us at home.” he took my good hand and pulled me up.

“What about your team?”

“They’ll be fine without me and the game is about to end anyway. Besides, I’m pretty sure DBSK sunbaes can kick all their asses.” he smirked.

Sehun and I walked out of the field but I kept looking back. I could’ve sworn someone was watching us after feeling a deep menacing stare pierce through me making the hairs behind my back stood. After what happened to me back in high school, my third eye for creepy stalkers and lurkers heightened.

“Baby, what’s wrong?” he asked after we stopped in front of his car.

I looked around again and brushed it off. “N-Nothing…”