Here I Am

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Girlfriend

 

Ever since Sunmi fell asleep in DBSK’s loft, Jaejoong never left her side. He remained seated on the floor and leaning towards the couch as he intently watches her sleep. “What’s wrong Sunmi? What will make you stop from crying?” he wiped a tear that fell. “Aish! Even your tears are now getting stubborn as well…” he sighed.

“Oppaaa…” she croaked after her eyes slowly opened.

“How are you feeling?”

“Better… I guess…” she smiled and helped her up. He sat beside her and placed an arm around her shoulder. “What happened?”

“Sehun and I had an argument, and I hurt him oppa! Urgh!”  she placed her elbows on her knees and covered her face. “How come dumb stuff seems so smart while you're doing it? You’re so stupid, Sunmi! IDIOT!!!” she sneered and began pounding her head with her fist.

“Yah! Yah! YAH!!! There you go again! Stop that!” Jaejoong grabbed her hand and firmly gripped it. “You won’t get answers even if I hit you myself! Why don’t you try to relax? Try it for once!!! God Sunmi!” he glared at her.

She stiffened. It reminded her of a mad Jaejoong on the beach. “O-Oppa?” she stuttered.

“What? You are so ing stubborn, and it’s pissing me off! You gotta do something about that thick skull of yours! GEEZZZZ!!!”

“Mi…Miahnae… Don’t worry, I will…” her head stooped.

Jaejoong released her hand and turned her face towards him. “Look… Love is neither selfish nor unforgiving! If you love someone, you forgive the unforgivable, you do the unthinkable. Let go, Sunmi! Don’t be hard on yourself! Okay?” and she nodded. “Aigooo~ Come here…” he pulled her and gave a warm embrace. “I’ll say this time and time again… You’ll get through this… Both of you will!”

“Neehhh…” she smiled. “EHEM!!!” Junsu raised an eyebrow to him with Yoochun and Yunho behind. “Jahgiya? Are you cheating on me?” he added.

“I think I have to go…” she chuckled. Sunmi pulled away from Jaejoong and stood. “Ani! It was just a friendly hug…”

“Whatever! I don’t wanna see you both either hugging or touching ever again. Araseo?” he pointed a finger to them. “Neehhhh~” they chorused. “Bye yeorobeun!” she added.

“Where are you going?” Yoochun asked. “To fetch my brother…”

“Ahh… Be careful then! And say hi for us!”

“Sure!” and she left.

----------

I finally came just in time when my brother got dismissed. We met outside his school and made our way home.

We were walking hand in hand when he suddenly escaped my grasp and ran to a playground. “Noona! Let’s play first!”

“Okay… But be careful!” I trailed him.

He tried a few rounds on the slides and finally settled on the swings. His feet dangled and he would stare at me.

“Noona, are you angry at Sehun hyung?” he asked.

“I’m not really angry… More like disappointed…” I sighed.

“Wae yo?” he glanced at me.

He gave an inquisitive look and I knew he wanted some answers but I don’t want him to have any negative feelings towards anyone, especially his hyung. They’ve been drawn to each other and could already pass as blood brothers.

I stood and went behind him for a slow push and held the chains of the swing. “Ermm… You know how bad cheating and lying is, right?”

He turned his head and looked up to me. “Mhmm! Wae? Did Sehun hyung did that to you?” his eyes rounded with confusion so I moved in front of him and kneeled.

“He did… But maybe it was just a mistake.” I faked a smile to him.

“You should forgive him then!” he wiggled his dangling feet.

“It’s not that easy, Sungmin. Ermmm...” I tapped my chin. “Let's put it this way... How would you feel if I take Stitch away from you and rip him apart? Like cut his arms, feet, his long pointed ears and whack him to bits!” I gestured my hand like stabbing and hacking his favorite plushie.

“EHH???” he jerked back. “You won’t do that noona… You know how much I love Stitch even if he's blue and ugly!” his face fell.

“But what if I do?” I his chubby cheek.

He stooped his head with lips arching downwards. “I will cry and never eat until you return him to me all sewed up.”

“See? That’s what noona feels right now. I’m just waiting for this to be patched up.” I patted my chest. “But I won’t cry and I will eat, of course!” I smiled and ruffled his hair.

His face lit up and jumped off the swing to give me a hug. “Don’t worry noona, everything’s gonna be okay with you and Sehun hyung.” and he kissed my cheek.

‘I hope so too…’

“Noona?” he choked while his cheek touched my shoulder. “Hmmm?”

“Can we visit eomeoni?” he asked nervously.

I slowly pushed him to meet his gaze. “W-Wae?”

“I miss her so much! I’ve been wanting to see her but I’m scared to ask you coz you’ve been crying a lot lately.” he pouted.

I hesitated for a bit since it involves Sehun’s mom, but I can’t deprive him of such request. “O-Okay… Do you wanna go now?”

His face lit up and gave me a bear hug. “Can we?”

“Ermm… S-Sure…” I rubbed his back while my head and chest pounded all at once.

I stood back up and took his wrist. We walked a few meters to the main street then took a cab.

----------

The cab slowed down on the spacious driveway and stopped in front of the main door. The siblings went to the door and was met by the butler.

“Annyeong haseyo… We’re here to see eomeoni. Is she here?” Sunmi asked.

“Neh! Neh! Come in agashi!” the old man excitedly welcomed them.

He took their jackets off and brought them to the living room. “Wait here for a minute. I’ll go get her!”

“Kamsahamnida…” she bowed and they sat.

It’s been a while since she came to the mansion. Actually, it’s been so long already. Nothing has changed but it rather feels cold and empty. The silence was deafening that her brother started to kick his foot on the table. “Sungmin-ah… Behave…” she whispered. “Miahn…” and he stopped.

“There they are, madam!” the butler said and Sungmin turned his head towards him. “Eomeoni!” he jumped off the couch and went to Sehun’s mother.

“Omo! My son is here!” she kneeled and hugged him. “Aigoo~ I miss you so much, my baby boy!”

“I miss you too, umma!” they hugged while Sunmi stood behind Sungmin. “Annyeong haseyo, eomeoni…” she bowed.

Sehun’s mother went to her this time. “It’s great to see you, Sunmi!” they hugged. “I miss you dearly… I heard about what happened. Don’t do it again, okay?” she her hair.

“Neh!” they broke apart and Sungmin joined them. “Eomeoni, I’m hungry!” he rubbed his tummy.

“Omo! My poor baby! Don’t worry I’ll let the chef prepare a lot of yummy food, and while we wait, why don’t we play in the game room?” she bent in front of him.

“Sweeeet!” he clapped his hands. “Noona, what about you?”

“Ehh? Ermmm… I’ll just be here in the living room! I know how much you miss eomeoni and doesn’t want to be disturbed.” she ruffled his hair.

“YES!” he punched his fist in the air.

“We’ll be right back, Sunmi! You can also try going around the mansion. Don’t worry Sehunnie's appa is not around.” she chuckled.

“Naahhh~ I’m good… I’ll just stay here…” Sunmi walked back to the couch and grabbed a magazine.

Sunmi has already finished skimming through a bundle of magazines. Curiosity started creeping in her head. ‘Could Sehun  be here?’ she looked at the staircase behind her. ‘So what if he’s here? It’s not like he wants to see me after I cursed and yelled at him this morning.’ she sighed and reread the magazines all over again.

But she got bored. She took a deep breath and gathered her courage to stand. ‘A peek won’t hurt, right? Yeah… Just a sneak peek…’ she fixed her skirt then began walking.

Her mind ordered her feet to stop but her heart was overpowering. It was raging against her rib cage. It was pumping gallons of blood, fueling her desire to see him.

Her steps got slower and smaller when she reached the carpeted hallway. She can already see Sehun’s room. ‘Relax Sunmi. It’s just him… Besides, it’s possible that he’s not there anyway, so why get nervous?’

Sunmi’s longing for Sehun heightened after their argument. She always hated it when they fight, much less cursing at each other. There’s always been a huge hole in her heart. It grows a little when she hears his voice, but after he walks away, it grows twice as fast. She craved holding his hand so terribly. She can only be in his presence and look into his eyes in her dreams, and it was beyond painful.

She stopped in front of his door and held the gold knob. ‘You came this far… There's no turning back now!’ After releasing a deep breath, she opend the door. It left a small gap just enough for her petite body to fit in. Her knees were shaking and her feet stopped functioning. Her eyes however caught a lying figure on the bed. ‘He's here? Oh no…’ As much as she wants to walk away, his mere presence reeled her in. Her feet willingly moved, while her hands gripped the hem of her skirt.

The room was dark but the lampshade by his bedside table guided her way. Sehun curled to his side facing towards her with a blanket covering him from waist down. She tiptoed going to his bed and carefully sat on the edge without waking him. Their couple photo on a frame underneath the lamp glistened. It was more like a selca where Sehun was kissing her cheek with eyes closed, and she smiled wholeheartedly. They were in their high school uniform, having the indoor pool as their background.

She took the frame and stared at it. Her fingers ran through it when all she can think of is Sehun stalking her while having lunch on that same exact place, revealing himself when he can no longer bear the smell of her kimbap, and promising her to be his one true friend for all time. ‘Babo! How can you make me fall for you when you’re just supposed to be my creepy stalker?’ She didn’t notice her tears dripping when her fingers kept sliding down the glass covering. She sniffled and placed the frame back.

Sunmi looked around the room. It was the same room where she fought for dear life, not just once but twice. The first when she got battered and where they shared their first kiss. It was when he confessed to her. He loved her since they were kids and intends to do it forever. ‘Babo! You were my first love, don’t you know that?’ she chuckled and cried while looking down at him. It was this room that awakened her from deep coma. The lavender scent from his sheets, the minty scent of his pillow, the woody scent of his perfume hanging in the air. ‘Babo! You gave me my life back, Sehun!’ she sobbed and Sehun moved.

She cupped in an instant to muffle her sobs, and prayed for him not to wake. He moved his head for a bit and continued sleeping. She caught a glimpse of his bandaged hand, and lightly it. ‘You always love hitting walls, don’t you?’

Sunmi raised her hand and it willingly moved towards his face. She tried so hard from pulling it away, but it has a life of its own. Her fingers shook and it softly reached his forehead. ‘Sehun-ah…’ she covered her quivering lips with her left hand while the fingers on her right his face. ‘I miss you soooo so much…’

Instead of talking to him, she hummed a song that her mom usually sings to her dad. She kept his somber face, and memorizing his peaceful presence.

Here I am, In this place, Here I am
Here I am, In this place, I’m here.

Here I am, in this place, Here I am
Here I am, In this place, I’m here now

Even if it’s not enough
I’ll show how much I really love you
You may never know but
Here I am

Here I am, In this place, Here I am
Here I am, In this place, I’m here.

Even if it’s not enough for me to show
How much I really love you
I’ll just wait for you in this place.

Even if you think it’s not enough, it’s fine
I’ll show how much I really love you
You may never know but
Here I am

You may never know, but Here I am…

Sunmi choked at her own tears. Her voice trembled even if no words were coming out. She removed her right hand from his face and pressed it over her left which has been covering . She needed to muffle her sobs. It grew louder even after she finished humming. ‘Se-Sehun-ah… Miahnae… I’m so sorry…’ her eyes flowed nonstop and it drenched her skirt.

Then with all her strength, she leaned down on him, and pressed her lips on his forehead. She closed her eyes and a fresh wave of tears fell on his cheeks. “I love you…” she whispered and slowly left his side.

Sunmi closed the door behind her and stumbled on the floor after trying to run.

She covered her face and poured her heart out. ‘You’re such an idiot, Sunmi! How can you be such a coward? He was already there!’ she cried.

Sehun opened his eyes after she left. He was awake all those time. ‘Goddamnit Sehun! How can you just pretend to sleep? How can you be such a coward? How can you just let her cry? You’re supposed to wipe her tears just like you always do! !’ he rubbed his forehead with his good hand.

Then he remembered how her fingers ran through his face. He lowered his hand and touched every part she . ‘I can feel you babe!’

“I love you too…” he whispered.