Just Friends

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Girlfriend

 

Jiyeon stormed her dad’s office the following day. “Appa! Why did you do it?” she stood in front of his desk with hands on her hips.

“Did what?” he kept reading the daily newspaper.

“Oh c’mon dad! You know what I’m talking about?” she sneered.

Congressman Park leaned back on his chair and placed his elbows on the arm rest with clasped hands. “I just wanted to threaten that girl so she will stay away from you and Sehun… Wait how did you know?”

“What the hell, dad?” she raised her palms up and paced. “Do you know that Sehun hates me more coz of what you did? GOD!!!” she fumed. “And there’s only two people on earth who turned her life upside down. Since it’s not me, it’s obviously you!” she rolled her eyes.

“I was just trying to help, sweetie!” he shrugged.

“Well you’re not helping!” she yelled. “If you really want to make it better for me, stay away from my business! It’s enough already that you arranged my marriage with Sehun… I can do the rest by myself!” she walked out and slammed the door.

----------

Everything changed for Sunmi in an instant. There was an aura of grey around her. It was a mist that wouldn't rise. A state of depression that she's not even sure when she can pull through it. She looked like death and she didn't care. There’s this whole in her heart that made her feel empty and wounded.

Right after class, Sunmi went straight to Shinee’s game room. She sat in between Taemin and Onew having Jinsuk across her and the rest of the boys around them. “Oppa, can I have lunch here starting today?” she stared at her hands on her lap.

They looked at each other and Jinsuk smiled to her brother. “Of course, MiMi! You didn’t even have to ask.” Onew rubbed her back.

“K-Komawo… Let’s eat!” she forced a smile to them and spilt her chopsticks.

There lunch however was awkward. It was quiet since no one said a word. They watch her eat, drink, swallow, space out… they can even tell how many times she choked.

“Aish! this! I can’t take this anymore…” Jinsuk dropped her metal spoon and stood. She went over to Sunmi and pulled her up. “Yah! Until when are you gonna act like this? Huh?” she shook her.

“Jinsuk, please… Stop it… I’m getting dizzy…” Sunmi mumbled and Onew tapped his sister’s arm. “Sis, leave her alone. She needs some space.”

“Mwoh? Oppa! Stop treating her like a baby. You’ve always treated her that way since we were kids!”  she hissed and cupped Sunmi’s face. “You gotta fight it, bessy! You can’t let those threats affect you. Be strong, damn it!”

“I’m trying Jinsuk! Believe me!” she held her wrist.

“Well it’s not good enough. Do better!” she shook her.

Taemin stood and gently took Sunmi’s hand. “Jinsuk-ah, I think she already understood what you’re trying to say. Now, if you’ll excuse us…” he warmly smiled to her and tugged Sunmi out of the room.

“Where are we going?” she wondered.

“Somewhere peaceful!” he smiled.

They walked until the end of the hall and entered a metal door. Her eyes narrowed when blinding rays of sunlight greeted her. Taemin held her wrist again and pulled her up a steep stairway.

“Uwaaaa~ This place is beautiful!” she beamed after adjusting to the brightness.

“Welcome to SMU’s hidden garden by the rooftop!” he grinned while spreading his arms out.

Taemin slowly followed Sunmi as she explored the newfound sanctuary. It was filled with lush greeneries from shrubs, bonsais, to potted trees. A stone fountain stood in front of two wooden couches with shades atop. She let her fingers ran through the leaves while walking. “How did you know about this place?”

“Boa noona brought me here after our accident.” he scratched his nape.

“You know unnie?” she turned to him.

“Neh! She’s the reason why I’m good at this!” he showed off his dancing prowess.

“Woah! Jongin should be scared!” she chuckled.

“Tch! He ain’t got on me!” he smirked.

“Whatever… But why haven’t I seen you in any dance practices?” she continued walking.

“Coz I have my own session with noona together with Yunho hyung!” he trailed her.

They stopped in front of the couch and laid on it side by side. “With them? That’s amazing!” she crossed her feet and looked at the sky.

“Mhmmm… You feel better now?” he looked up as well.

Sunmi turned to her side and slipped both palms under her cheek. “Neh! Komawo Taeminnie!” He turned towards her and slip one hand under his cheek and another on her face. “Anything for you, Sunmi!” and stared at each other.

“Why are you being nice to me?” she asked.

“Coz I’m your friend and that’s all I can be…  So might as well give it the best I can!” his thumb her cheek.

Sunmi got lost in his words. How can someone as genuine as him like her? When in fact, there are far more beautiful girls than her, a lot nicer, even way smarter. But Taemin just earned himself a special spot in her heart.

She raised her head and pressed her lips on his forehead. “Thank you…” she whispered and went back to her spot. “Oh and another thing… When you feel empty or sad, don’t forget that there would always be two people who’ll never leave you. One up there and me down here! Always remember that, Ara!” she pointed a finger to his face.

“I will!” he smiled.

“Are we just gonna stare at each other?” she eye smiled.

“I dunno about you, but I like doing it and I’ll never get tired.” he stared at her deeply.

“Oh hell no Taemin! That’s unfair! You can’t do that!” she frowned.

“Wae?” he bit his lip.

“J-Just look normal… Aish!” she stuttered and looked down.

He leaned closer while she leaned her head back. “Am I making you nervous?” his husky voice erupted.

“Yah! Stop playing!” she poked his forehead back and he giggled.

After almost an hour of staring and playing, Sunmi’s phone buzzed. She took it out of her back pocket and raised it in between their faces. ‘YAH! Come here at the library and do my homework! Ppalli!!! – Jongin’

“Do it yourself! Jerk!” she scoffed at her phone and sat up. “I gotta go Taemin! Some lazyass need some tutoring!”

“Fine!” he sighed. “But promise me we’ll do that again!” he held her wrist.

“Promise! Now, let’s go before Jongin throw a tantrum!” and they left.