Nothing Changes

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Girlfriend

 

“Annyeong!” Jaejoong waved and took the shopping bag off my hands. “Hi Sunmi!” Changmin bowed.

I went behind my brother and held his shoulders. “Sungmin-ah, I want you to meet Jaejoong and Changmin. They are my sunbaes at school.” I pointed my hand to each of them. “Oppa, this is my brother!” I patted his head.

“Annyeong haseyo! Oh Sungmin imnida!” he bowed to them.

“Hello there, buddy! You can call us hyung!” Jaejoong bent to meet his gaze.

“Aigooo~ He’s so cute!” while Changmin pinched his cheek.

“We’re gonna go grab something to eat? Wanna join us?” I asked and Jaejoong replied right away. “Sure!”

I was aiming for a fast food chain coz that was the only place I know who offers ice cream but given DBSK’s fancy palate, we ended up in an elegant restaurant. “Noona, do they have chocolate ice cream here?” Sungmin looked up at the shimmering chandelier.

“They do, dongsaeng! They actually have the best!” Changmin blurted and raised two thumbs up.

In a snap of Jaejoong’s fingers, the waiter came. He took our orders then came back after a couple of minutes.

“Uwaaaa~” my brother started drooling at a bowl with four scoops of chocolate ice cream smothered in chocolate syrup topped with a variety of nuts, marshmallows, wafers, and banana slices.

Changmin flapped the table napkin and draped it over Sungmin’s neckline. “There you go! Eat a lot!”

“Komawo hyung!” he his lips and dipped the spoon.

We started eating but it was getting awkward that even my brother noticed it. “Noona, gwenchana?”

“N-Neh!” I faked a smile and ruffled his hair. I was bothered by what happened in the fitting room. Although Kai apologized already and we’re in good terms, it never left my mind. ‘Aish! Why does he have to complicate things?’ I sighed while staring at my plate.

Jaejoong and Changmin looked at each other and the latter poked my brother’s cheek. “Sungmin-ah, wanna go and play at the arcade after this?”

“Sure! I’d love to! It’s about time I get to play with a hyung. It’s no fun with noona.” he chuckled while gripping the spoon in his mouth.

Jaejoong nudged me when I failed to react. “Hey, what’s wrong with you?” he pinched my nose.

“Oh! Ermm…” my eyes moved from side to side looking at their worried faces. “N-Nothing…” and I continued eating.

Sungmin emptied his bowl and stood beside me. “Noona! I’m going now with Changmin hyung!”

“Okay… Have fun!” I wiped the chocolate stains off his lips and kissed it.

“Later guys!” Changmin waved and left with my brother.

Jaejoong set his plate aside and clasped both hands on the table. “I know something is bothering you, Sunmi… Tell me!”

“It’s nothing oppa. I swear!” I tapped the fork on my plate.

“I’m pretty sure Sehun says this a lot to you but you’re such a bad liar…” he took my utensils and set them aside. I slumped on my chair and placed an elbow on the arm chest while rubbing my forehead. “If you don’t wanna tell me, fine…” he rested his chin on his palms and stared at me.

“Miahnae…” I pouted.

He moved his chair beside me and tucked strands of hair behind my ear. “Hey… Don’t make a habit out of apologizing. People will have the idea that you don’t mean it every time you say it. Now tell me what’s on your mind?”

“Errmmm… Oppa?” I shifted to my side and faced him.

“Hmmm?” he wondered.

“Let’s say I like you… Ani! I’m in love with you but you already have a girlfriend and you love her so much. How would you deal with me?” I rested my elbow on the table and tilted my head on my knuckles.

“Easy! I’ll talk to you in a nice way and make you understand about my feelings.” he followed my pose on the table.

“It’s not that easy, oppa. I’m your best friend and my world only revolves around you. It’s like you’re in my mind every minute, I live and breathe only for you.” I explained.

“Uwaaaa~ Sunmi if that’s how you truly feel towards me, I’d be the happiest man on earth!” he beamed.

“Oppa! Be serious!” I frowned.

Jaejoong then took my hands and stared deep into me.

“Miahn! Anyway… If that’s the case, I’ll give you all the time you need so you can learn to let go of me and I will assure you that nothing will change! I will still be your best friend. I will still love you for who you are!”

‘Well, that’s how I should do it then…’ I thought. “Komawo!” I reached my hands into his face and lightly pressed his cheeks together.

“Is this about you and Sehun?” he lowered my hands and raised an eyebrow.

“ANI!!! No one would even dare like me…Tch! It’s between Chanyeol and some chick!” my alibi but he bought it.

'You just don't know how guys react around you, Sunmi!' he thought. “Aahhh…” he rubbed his chin.

We were talking and waiting for Changmin and Sungmin to come back when my phone buzzed.

‘Baby, mom and I are in Seoul already. See you at home, a’right?’ my lips instantly curled up at Sehun’s message.

‘Yes babe! Can’t wait to see you!’ I replied and got another one after a few seconds.

‘Dad will celebrate his birthday tomorrow. He’s gonna make an announcement and he says you have to be there!’

“Announcement?” I murmured. ‘Wonder what it is?’

“Any problem?” Jaejoong asked.

“Nothing, oppa. It’s about Sehun’s dad…” I brushed it off and fiddled on my phone. ‘Sure! I’ll be there!’

-----------

Kai drove to Suho’s house after leaving the mall and were having a few drinks at his mini bar with Baekhyun. Suho sat behind the bar while both boys sat on the stools. “Woah, slow down Jongin!” the leader patted his shoulder after emptying a shot of Jager bomb.

“I’m okay, hyung! I’ve had worse, y’know!” he bragged. “Can I have a beer this time, please?” he raised a finger and Suho gave him one.

“Did something happen?” Baekhyun wondered.

Kai gulped from his drink and wiped his lips with the back of his hand. “Yes! Something happened! And I’m not ing proud of it!” he slurred.

The two sober boys glanced at each other nervously. “I kissed Sunmi! Dude, I ing kissed her! Can you believe that? Pwahaha~ I’m officially the world’s biggest jerk!” he laughed and took a long swig from the bottle.

“WHAT???” they chorused. “What the hell Jongin? Are you out of your mind?” Baekhyun smacked his head but Kai was too drunk to even feel it.

“NEH!!! I am out of my mind! I’m crazy as coz I love her so much that it scares me!” he suddenly hurled the bottle across the wall that smashed into pieces. His tears fell on the counter top as he dropped his head on it while grabbing his hair. “Hyung! I just love her so much! I can’t imagine my life without Sunmi!” he cried.

Baekhyun patted his back while Suho remembered the same scene just a year ago only with Sehun. “Look bro! Letting Sunmi go doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll lose her. She will still be there… Always will!”

“And dude... Loving someone means you only want the best for her even if it means swallowing the sad reality that the best just isn’t you. You gotta accept that, Jongin!” Baekhyun added.

Kai left his seat and stumbled on the floor. Suho and Baekhyun rushed to him and made him sit and lean against a wall.

Kai was shattering all over again. There's an incurable emptiness somewhere deep in his body. His heart was breaking into pieces. His brain was being hammered. Pain deluged him but he can't let it destroy them.

“Hyung! Don’t worry… I won’t let my feelings get in between them. She’s far too precious for me to see her cry and Sehun’s my best friend. I can’t lose them both!”

“Everything’s gonna be okay, bro! Just stay strong!” Suho gripped his hand.

“Yeah! We’re here for you!” Baekhyun joined their grasp.

Then their phones buzzed. ‘Hyung! It’s my dad’s birthday tomorrow and there’s gonna be an announcement. See you all at The Shilla hotel!’

“Did you get it?” Suho asked Baekhyun and he nodded. “Neh!”

“Me too!” Kai hiccupped.

“Wait… I’ll call maknae!” Suho added. “Sup bro! What’s the announcement all about??? Ahh… Okay… See ya’ then!” he hung up.

“So?” Baekhyun wondered.

“Sehun doesn’t know as well…” Suho shrugged and Kai started drifting to sleep.

“Coming from his dad? It must be really big! Aigooo~” Baekhyun added.