Moving On

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Girlfriend

 

I decided to stay in hiatus for a while and will go back to school as soon as I get back on my feet. Sungmin just finished showering and putting on his uniform when he joined me on the table for breakfast. “Good morning!” he greeted with arms in the air.

“Morning sweetie… Come here! Lemme see you…” he walked towards me then I fixed his bow tie and combed his hair.  “There! Let’s eat!”

“Neh!” he climbed up the chair and clasped his palms together. “Wow! It’s Bacon hyung!” he his lips upon seeing a plate in front of him.

“You’re crazy Sungmin… Eat now or you’ll be late for school.” I let out a soft chuckle.

My brother and his innocent antics was what I needed the most in times like this. It comes out of him naturally and it uplifts my spirit in an instant.

We continued eating as I kept looking around at the interiors in our old place. It’s still the same just like when we left it, small, cozy, and inviting. It really is true when people say that happiness comes from the simple things in life.

“Aigooo~ I think I’m gonna have to spend the whole day cleaning our house.” I sighed from the dusty furniture to the cracked walls.

“Don’t worry noona! I’ll help you as soon as I get back from school!” he gnawed two strips of bacon.

“Komawo…” I ruffled his hair then the doorbell rang. “Finish up so we can leave after this…” I added and went to the door.

Right after I opened the door, I gasped when someone lunge on me for a bear hug. “I miss you so much Sunmi!” he tightened his grasp.

“Tae…Min… I can’t… breathe…” I wheezed and he loosened his grasp.

“Miahn…” he then pressed his lips on my shoulder.

“It’s okay…” I rubbed his back and the rest of Shinee was watching us from behind. “Hey guys…” I kept one hand on Taemin’s back while the other reached out to them.

Key took it and I pulled him with us. “Great to see you Sunmi!” he hugged us then Minho and Jonghyun joined as well.

“I’m sorry for all the trouble I caused you. Please forgive me…” I said.

“It’s okay… Just don’t do it again, okay?” Minho patted my head. “Neehhh…

“Okay… My turn!” Onew barge in between us and earned hisses and glares. “HYUNG!!!” Taemin and Key chorused.

“What? You can’t make me!” he ignored them and averted his glare on me. “Yah! If you decide to do it again, tell me and I’d be glad to help you out! At least in that way, you can spare us the misery of sweeping the entire country for your lifeless body!” he sneered.

“Hyung!” Jonghyun scolded.

“I’m sorry oppa… I will never do it again, I promise!” I kept my head down.

Onew gave me a warm embrace. “Good… I was worried sick, y’know?! Aish!”

“Noona? Who are they?” Sungmin appeared behind me. Onew and I broke apart and I pulled him in front of me. “They are your hyungs!” and I introduced them one by one.

“Nice to meet you my shining hyungs!” he beamed.

“Nice to meet you too dongsaeng!” Minho pinched his cheek.

“Any plans today, Sunmi?” Key blurted.

“I’m taking this little booger to school then clean our messy apartment.” I pointed our dusty interiors.

Key walked in and examined the area. He kept rubbing his chin while his eyes moved around then flicked his fingers. “Why don’t you go now while we clean your house?”

“Ehh? No way! You don’t have to, I can do it when I get back!” then Jonghyun started pushing me out. “Leave this to us. Kibum is an interior design major and he can transform this into one shabby place… Taeminnie, go with them!”

“Neh!” he replied and grabbed our thick jackets and hats by the coat stand.

“Wait… No, don’t…” I insisted but Taemin already closed the door behind us. He bent and made Sungmin wear his jacket and furry hat. “It’s cold outside. You better wear this!”

“Komawo hyung!”

He stood back up and slipped my jacket and beanie on me. “There you go! Gaja!”

The tree of us walked down the street. Taemin held Sungmin in one hand while I have the other. It turned to be a fun stroll having two kids by my side. Their reactions when passing a candy store were too similar that hadn’t I pulled them away, they would’ve spent the entire day gawking at the window. They would also laugh at the silliest and most random stuff they come upon, like a dog peeing on a fire hydrant.

We eventually stopped in front of the school’s main gate. “Have fun today, a’right?” I bent to meet my brother’s gaze.

“Neh! You too!” he puckered his lips and I kissed it. “Bye baby…”

“Annyeong Sungmin-ah! I’ll see you around and let’s play some time.” Taemin waved.

“We will, hyung! Thanks for walking me today and take care of noona!” he skipped.

“NEH!!!” he cupped his mouth while yelling.

Taemin and I left when my brother disappeared from our sight and everything became awkward. I kept my eyes on the ground and would kick rocks from time to time while he kept looking around.

Due to the fast approaching winter, the winds got a lot colder and I would flinch every time it swipes on my face. My nose grew red, cheeks turned pink and vapor escapes through my lips. ‘I hate this season so much…’ I sighed as I rub my palms together after blowing warm air in it.

“Aigooo~ Come here…” Taemin held my hand and pulled me closer to his side. His body heat was more than enough to keep me warm. We continued walking. It’s still silent but no longer awkward. I guess words were no longer needed when we already know what we feel or how much we mean to each other.

He then stopped in front of a coffee shop and pulled me in. “I’m pretty sure the hyungs aren’t finished yet. Let’s go grab some hot choco…”

----------

Meanwhile in EXO’s lounge, it was sullen and empty. Not because there were no people in it but the boys were too distracted to talk. Aside from the fact that Sunmi didn’t report for school, Sehun and Kai have gone MIA after their rift hasn’t been solved and refused to talk to each other.

Kris however kept replaying the scandalous clip. “Hyung! Seriously! Stop it already! It’s making me sick!” DO hissed.

“Don’t watch it then!” he retaliated.

“Why do you keep on watching it anyway?” Baekhyun added.

“There’s something off with it! I just can’t pinpoint exactly what…” he burrowed his eyebrows on the screen.

“Hyung! I know you’re trying to help Sehun but we watched it a lot of times already and found nothing! Zilch! Nada! So give it a break will ya? Seeing that fugly face makes puke!” Chanyeol blurted.

“Fine!” he pressed the remote and turned to the table to join them. “Now what? What are we gonna do? We can’t just sit and wait until a miracle knocks on our door!”

“I dunno hyung! Everything is ed up already… Why don’t we wait it out for a bit? Y’know... Keep it steady and see what the following days have to offer…” Suho suggested.

“Yeah, I agree! You’ll never know… The miracle might just be right in our asses all this time!” Jinsuk added.

----------

The day passed by so fast. Key indeed managed to make over Sunmi’s apartment. It’s more vibrant and stylish. They also added new furnishings to replace the old and torn ones.

Shinee left after Teddy and GD came since the space was getting cramped. “We’ll see you at school tomorrow, okay?” Onew asked and she hesitated. “Look Sunmi… You can’t stay like this forever. I promised to be there for you since we were kids and I’ve been trying so hard to keep it. Go out there like nothing happened. To hell with people! What’s important is you and us, your friends!”

“I will, oppa… Komawo!” she hugged all of them.

“Hyung! We’ll go ahead!” Minho waved to Teddy.

“Neh! Drive safely, a’right?” he retorted and they waved.

Sunmi closed the door and joined her family on the table. “So you’re finally going back to school?" Teddy asked.

“Mhmmm…” her lips curled.

“You’re gonna be okay, sweetie! That I’m sure!” he patted her shoulder.

They were about to finish dinner when the doorbell rang. “I’ll get it!” GD stood and opened the door.

 “Hyung! Can I talk to Sunmi, please?” Sehun slurred.

 “Dude, are you drunk?” GD then leaned closer and his nose scrunched when Sehun reeked in alcohol. “I’m sorry bro. I can’t let you see her this way…”

“Sehun hyung!” Sungmin shot up and jumped off his seat but Teddy grabbed his wrist. “Stay here…” he warned.

‘Oh God Sehun! What have you done?’ Sunmi covered her face and Teddy reached out to her shoulder. Her chest burned. She can't bear the thought that Sehun took refuge in alcohol. 'Damn it!'

They continued listening to Sehun and GD’s conversation. “H-hyung! I-Im not drunk! *hiccup* I just needed something to boost my spirit…” he smiled and yelled. “SUNMI-AH!!! PLEASE!!! LET’S TALK!!!”

“Bro! Easy… I understand where you’re coming from but I’m sorry… Just come back once you’re sober…” GD closed the door and Sehun blocked it. “Hyung, lemme see her, then? A glimpse of her will do… I promise I will not say a word…” he wobbled.

GD looked back at the anxious table and Sunmi slowly shook her head. “I’m sorry bro…” he then slowly closed the door.

“Is Sehun hyung okay?” Sungmin asked Teddy. “Ani! But he has to learn to fight… And so does noona… Right Sunmi?” and she nodded.

They finished dinner and continued to hang out on the living room. GD and Teddy watched music videos while Sunmi helped Sungmin with his homework. It’s almost midnight when they decided to leave. Sungmin has already fallen asleep on the floor and Sunmi’s head started dropping in GD’s shoulder.

Teddy carried Sungmin to their room while GD supported her. “Sis! We’ll be back tomorrow! Good night!”

“Neehhh~” she yawned and laid on the bed. “Night oppa!”

“Good night!” Teddy tucked them in and kissed them as well.

Just as they stepped out of the door, they saw Sehun sitting on the ground while leaning against the wall and hugging his knees. “Aigooo~ This boy!” Teddy then picked him up. “Jiyonggie, let’s take him to their house…” “Neh!”

Sehun’s arms draped on each of their shoulders while he dragged his feet. They were in the elevator when he started slurring again.

“Hyung… Can I still get her back? Jongin is out to get her! She refuses to see me!“ Sehun’s head keeping rolling from side to side. “I’m about to get married in three weeks! *sigh* Me and my pathetic life!” he chuckled.

“So? Are you giving up now? If you are, then you just proved how pathetic you are!” Teddy smirked.

“I won’t hyung! I’m gonna put up a damn good fight! They’ll have to kill me first before they can get Sunmi!” he burped.

“I just hope it’s not the alcohol whose talking…” GD snorted.