New Ally

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Girlfriend

 

‘Crap! Why does my classroom have to be in different buildings? This school is huge for crying out loud!’ I thought while running through the hallway for my next class. Just as I was about to make a turn into a corridor, a high pitched voice called my name. “SUNMI???”

I instantly stopped and turned towards the direction where it’s coming from. “Oh Sunmi!” she said once again and I squinted my eyes to the familiar face. ‘Who could it be? The voice sounds familiar though…’ and a figure approached me. She was a red head with huge nerdy glasses and wearing baggy clothes.

“Yah! Oh Sunmi! How could you ever forget about me?” she pouted with arms crossed on her chest.

“Jinsuk?” I covered my gaping mouth.

“Hell yeah it’s me! The one and only, Lee Jinsuk.” she stretched her arms out and I lunged on her for a hug.

“OH.MY.GOD!!! How are you? It’s been forever since I’ve seen you!” a tear fell from my eye upon realizing a childhood friend is in my arms again.

“Oi! Since when did you become a cry baby?” she rubbed my back.

“I missed you! You just don’t know how happy I am seeing you again.” I sniffed. Jinsuk and I are totally the opposite. I like girly stuff and she doesn't. I'm weak and she's strong. She was even my protector from mean kids back in our old nieghborhood. I'm shy and she's bold. She always stayed positive when negativity strikes me.

She slightly pushed me and wiped my tears. “I miss you to bessy! I heard about your parents but I couldn’t find you. I’m really sorry when I wasn’t able to be there for you. Please forgive me!”

“It’s okay. I’m just glad to see you.” and I hugged her again.

“Don’t worry, Sunmi. I think we’ll see each other a lot from now on.” she rubbed my back.

We broke apart and started walking to my room. “How did you see me by the way?”

“Easy! You’re the only girl in the whole campus that sprints with her heels on and not minding how awkward you look, so you’re pretty much a head turner. Plus, you still look the same except you grew taller.” she raised her hand above my head.

“Yah! We’re the same, this heels are just working wonders.” I chuckled and checked her from head to toe. “Are those glasses even legit? What’s with the hair and boyish look?” I poked her oversized sweater.

“I’m blind as a bat without them.” she fixed her huge specs. “What about my outfit? It ain’t that bad and it’s comfier than what you have. Blech!” she squirmed while looking at my knee high skirt.

“Aigoo~ Enough of small talk! I gotta get to class first…” I patted her shoulder. “By the way, let’s have lunch after this. We need a lot of catching up to do.”

Jinsuk however showed an evil smile. “Why don’t we do it right now? I can sneak in there. I’m pretty sure the teacher won’t even notice me.”

“You never changed a bit. You’re still crazy!” I sighed when she dragged me into the room.

Amazingly, no one did notice her. My classmates were all attentive to the teacher while the lecture is ongoing. We talked with soft voices and would sometimes pass notes to each other. She apparently heard about a certain girl dating an EXO but never knew it was me.

“Damn sis. Are you sure about hanging out with those guys? They’re just a bunch of rich kids who are so full of themselves.” she wrote in a paper and passed it to me.

I rolled my eyes after reading the note and replied. “Those are just rumors. Don’t believe any of it! They’re good guys and Sehun is the BEST boyfriend in the universe.” I smiled like an idiot while scribbling on the note.

“Eeewww!” she muttered and continued writing. “Whatever! But I’d be caught dead before anyone sees me with them. Tch!” she smirked.

I crumpled the paper and tossed it to her head. “YAH!!!” she hissed. Jinsuk then pushed her chair closer to me. “I don’t think my brother will let me, anyway.” she whispered while we kept looking at the teacher.

“WAE???” I got intrigued.

“You’ll know soon enough.” she retorted.

After so much talk, the class finally comes to an end. Jinsuk and I head out for lunch but Kai suddenly appeared in front of us. His eyes could almost pop out of his skull after seeing her and pulled me by the wrist. “Let’s go!” he sneered.

“I can’t! I’m not joining you guys for lunch...” I tried slapping his hand but his grip was tight. “Let go Jongin! You’re hurting me!” and he released me.

I massaged my throbbing wrist and glared at him. “What’s wrong with you? And where is Sehun?”

“He went to settle something and sent me to fetch you. Now, let’s go!” he glared at Jinsuk from head to toe and carefully tugged me this time.

“STOP!” I yelled and he faced me again. “I said I’m not joining you today. I’m eating with her.” I pointed to my childhood BFF who was standing with a smirk on her face and hurled daggers with her eyes to him. ‘What’s up with these two? Do they know each other? Aish!’ I sighed.

“Jongin, this is my friend Jinsuk… Jinsuk this Jongin, also a friend of mine. So I trust that you both could get along?” I introduced them. Kai rolled his eyes and placed both hands on his hips. “Riigghht…”

“No way sis, spare me! You can go with him… I’ll just see you around, okay?” she smiled and tenderly hugged me but I can feel the heat of her stare towards Kai.

“Can we go now?” Kai nagged and Jinsuk walked a couple of steps back while waving. “Call me…” I mouthed to her and she raised a thumb.

Kai and I walked side by side in a quickened pace. “Yah! Kim Jongin! What happened back there? Care to explain?” I was waiting for a response but he ignored me so I ran in front of him. “Hellooo?” I waved my hand to his face.

He swiftly took my wrist and pulled me towards him with an arm around my waist. “Stop it! You’re making me dizzy.” he whispered and I could already feel his calm breaths on my face.

I gulped and instinctively looked away. ‘Oh God! When will he ever get the idea that his best friend is my boyfriend? Why does he have to complicate things?’

“Look at me when I’m talking to you, Sunmi.” his deep voice was captivating that I obliged to him. We exchanged gazes but I leaned my head farther away while he tightened his arm around me. “Didn’t we tell you already not to mingle with people in this school? Is it really that hard to follow?” he scolded me with a calm voice.

I cocked my head to the side and scowled at him. “Dude, I totally get your point but Jinsuk is my friend. Isn’t it normal for humans to interact with people we call “friends”? You’re unbelievable, Jongin!”

Kai smirked and looked up but his face suddenly fell. He instantly placed me behind him and tangled our fingers together. His hand was stiff and cold and I could feel his whole body heat up. “What’s going on?” I mumbled.

“Just stay behind me! I won’t let anything happen to you!” he hissed. His voice was tensed and however safe I feel being with him, I know something is about to go down after hearing several footsteps approach us.