Angel

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Girlfriend

 

After dropping Sungmin off, I rode the bus to SMU. I sat at the back of the driver’s seat and stared blankly at the window. Thoughts ran through my head, both negative and positive. What’s gonna happen next? What’s waiting for me at school? Where and how will I start?

I was getting anxious and curious upon nearing my stop. I could vomit my breakfast if the situation allowed me. My hands grew cold and stiff, and the chilly weather does not help at all. Even if I officially embraced the winter season through layers of clothes and pulling out my boots from the closet, my body trembled from the jitters in my stomach.

I hopped off the bus as it stopped just a few meters away from the school’s main entrance. I slipped my hands on the pockets of my jacket and sunk half of my face in the thick scarf wrapped around my neck. ‘This is it…’

Just as I was about to cross the street, a totally different Kai stood on the other side. He was smiling at me with hands behind his back. He was no longer the cold and gloomy person I met the other the night. I could even feel his radiating and glowing aura from my spot.

I slowly walked together with a horde of students when the pedestrian light went green and stopped in front of him.

“Hi! Welcome back!” he waved.

“Hello…” I mumbled under the scarf.

“What is that? Disguise?” he chuckled.

“Why would I? I’m cold…” I took my hand out and showed him my reddened nose and cheeks.

“Oh! Let’s put it back then!” he secured my knitted scarf and I looked at him from top until bottom. “What? You’re just too skinny that’s why you get cold easily. Tch!” he then took my hand. “Gaja!” but I froze.

My eyes were caught by a swarm of cameras. Sehun and Jiyeon’s wedding is nearing fast and they’re out again to get the juiciest news about the made-up couple. “! I don’t think I can do this! I’m going home…” I turned.

“Don’t mind them! Just play cool… I got you!” he squeezed my hand and tugged me.

I ducked my head lower and lower into my scarf until it only showed my eyes. Kai reached an arm out to shove anyone in front of him while keeping a secure clutch on me. He pulled me closer until he shielded me with half of his body. “Move it er!” he hissed at a journalist who was blocking his path.

“Chill man!” the latter reacted and moved.

He drew circles with his thumb on my hand and it distracted me. I’m seeing and feeling the same Kai that I met years ago. Aggressive, charming, stubborn as I am, bully, bad boy… and a ert. A smile formed in my lips at how I almost drowned when he tossed my ring in the pool, how he tripped me in class, how he seduced me in my grandparents house, and the list could go on.

Kai has been a part of almost all the negative experiences in my life but that’s what made me love him more than a friend but lesser than Sehun. They hold that spot in my heart that even if someone drills it out, they will still be there, beating for me.

“We made it!” he suddenly shifted me in front of him upon reaching the main hall. I snapped back and stared at him. “Wae? Something wrong?” he wondered.

“A-Aniyo… Th-thanks! I would’ve never made it this far without you, Jongin!” I smiled.

“Nah! It’s nothing. Those s wouldn’t stand a chance against me!” he bragged.

“No, not that… I mean, thank you for everything. You’ve always been there for me even when Sehun and I got together. You never left me! Thank you…” I slowly walked to him and hugged him.

He was shocked at my sudden actions. His heart was beating rapidly and I could feel the heat of his widened eyes staring in nothingness. “Yah… Since when did you ran out of words?” I laughed quietly.

“Why don’t I show it then?” he suddenly pulled away and dragged me somewhere. I jogged behind him while holding on to the strap of my shoulder bag.

We stopped and he pulled me into a very familiar room. The door closed and it got dimmer. It’s the same room where I feel at home, also his second home… the dance studio.

He made me sit on the wooden floor and bent in front of me. “They say that dancing can express emotions much powerful than any word! So here I am… Giving you my all!” He then handed me his phone, played a song and skipped to the center. I drew my knees closer to my chest and rested my chin on top of it as I intently watch him.

There he was, all by himself, gliding across the room. He approached the song just how an actor would in a monologue. Instead of acting it out, he danced.

The soft look on his face showed his connection to the lyrics. His movements were gentle yet powerful. Every word and beat of the song was conveyed through his steps. Not only did his body showed what he wanted to tell, but his eyes. It seemed like he’s a telepath coz he talked with it. Even if he turned, his head snaps back to maintain contact.

...Even if it’s a small thing,
I want to protect you for always
So you won’t ever have to suffer
I’m eternally in love.

As your guardian angel, I will block out that strong wind
Even if everyone turns their back against you
On hard days, I will wipe away your tears
If only I can be that kind of person
Wherever we go, it’ll be heaven

I have come to love you now
There’s no place for me to go back
My wings have been taken away
Even if I lost eternal life, the reason why I’m happy
Is because my forever is now you
Eternally love!

As the song faded away, Kai walked towards me and pulled me up. I placed his phone down beside my bag and walked with him. He took my hands upon reaching the center and placed it around his neck while he wrapped his arms on my back. There we stood in the middle of the dim studio with our foreheads together. “You should know by now that I’ll be yours for all eternity.” he whispered.

It was me this time who got tongue tied. I just stared at him hoping he could read my mind. But then he spoke, “Kiss me and you will see how important I am.”

I raised one hand to shift his cap on the side and leaned closer to him.  Then, he swiftly took my scarf in one motion and it landed on our feet.

It was him however who made the move when he firmly held my neck and tangled our lips just before we closed our eyes. I got a more rushing sensation from his warm touch and feel. A kiss that reduced my bones to rubber. He was nurturing me, cherishing me. He was neither in a hurry nor intentionally taking it slow, for he knows he can have me forever, girlfriend or not.

When he finally pulled back, he did so slowly, keeping our lips in contact of each other as long as he could before retreating to look into my eyes. He grinned at me like triumphantly smiling in his playful gaze.

“From now until forever…” he breathes.

“Until forever!” I pecked his lips and he hugged me. “I love you soooo much, Oh Sunmi!”

But before I can open my mouth, he covered it after pulling away. “Say it like you mean it… Not because you and Sehun are going through some rough time.”

I shoved it away and hugged him. “I love you too, Kim Jongin!” and he hugged me tighter. “By the way, I had a dream last night.” I told him.

“What was it about?”

“I dreamt that I was with Sehun and you. We were on a boat that was sinking! But then, I can only save one.” I drew random shapes on his back.

“Who did you choose?”

“I chose to save Sehun, of course!” and he pulled away with hands on my shoulders. “Ouch!” he pouted and I clasped my hands behind his waist. “But I want you to know that I went back to die with you!”

“Awww~ That’s so sweet of you!” he smacked his lips on my cheek.

“Yah! Don't be so full of yourself coz in reality, I'd choose to die to save you both!” I smirked.

“Right! As if that will ever happen…” he rolled his eyes then took my wrist. “Let’s go! You’ll be late for class already!”

“Oh shoot! I almost forgot!” we took our stuffs and left.

----------

Kris was alone in their lounge doing his spying stuff when the three Chinese boys visited him. “Gege! Wassup! What are you doing?” Tao high fived him.

“Watching Jiyeon and Sehun’s scandal…” he pointed at the plasma screen.

“Ah that! I thought it’s over already?” Luhan sat beside him with a cup of ice cream on hand.

“I dunno! I just can’t keep my mind off it…”

“Ewww! That girl is fugly! Blech!” Lay squirmed and sat on the arm rest of the couch.

“WOORRRDDD!!!” they all agreed.

“Gege! Can you pause that please?” Tao pointed the screen.

Kris did as told after taking the remote from the table. “There! Wae?”

“Rewind it slowly… I caught a glimpse of a hand that passed by…” and Kris followed. “There! You see that?” they all walked to the TV and tilted their heads for a clearer image.

“It looks like a male hand with a… Hmmm…” Lay scratched his head.

“It’s a dragon ring! Look! Luhan has the same one!” Tao took his hand and raised it. “Right! This ring is limited edition! There are only 5 of these made and all in different colors.” Luhan explained.

“Jinja?” Kris asked.

“Neh! I have the silver one and whoever that person is, got the gold one... But how did it end up here in Korea? It was exclusively sold in China only!” he added.

“Ehh? Let’s go find out then!” Kris blurted and they left.