Announcement

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Girlfriend

 

Sehun and Sunmi linked their arms as they walk in the grandiose lobby being trailed by EXO and Jinsuk. A red carpet has been laid out in the entrance where they met his parents. “Annyeong haseyo… Happy birthday, dad!” he bowed.

“Thanks…” he lightly bowed his head with a stern voice.

“Hi mom!” Sehun smiled and his mother walked up to him. “Aigooo~ My son is always handsome!” she fixed his tie.

Sunmi greeted them after he pulled her closer to him. “Annyeong haseyo! Happy birthday sa-sajangnim…” she bowed 90 degrees.

“Thanks…” he replied with a straight face.

His mom however walked up to her and gave a warm embrace. “You’re beautiful, Sunmi!” she tightened the hug and leaned closer to her ear. “Whatever happens, you’ll still be the only girl for my son and I want you to know that you’re my only daughter.” her face noticeably fell when she pulled away.

Sunmi was left dumbfounded at her words. She didn't understand any of it, as if her brain short-circuited and refused to function. Her eyes never left his mom even until they reached the grand ballroom. They sat on a table nearest the center stage having Sehun beside her and Jinsuk on the other side.

Everything was decked in black… The linens, back drop, walls, even the curtains. Had it not for the white chairs and colorful flowers, it would’ve been mistaken for a funeral rather than a birthday party.

A gloomy ambiance lingered in the air. It was cold and eerie. “Dude, I don’t have a good feeling about this…” Luhan whispered to Baekhyun.

“Me too… It’s like we’re in the eye of a storm… It’s creeping me out!” he rubbed the goose bumps over his blazer.

Sunmi sat with one leg over the other while staring at the burning candle in front of her. The heat from the fire of it couldn’t keep up with her intense nerves. Her insides were being churned by the hanging words of Sehun’s mom while her heart pounded against her ribcage. Her icy hands intertwined with each other repeatedly as she fidgeted with them. “Are you okay?” Sehun opened her palms and laced their fingers together.

“Mhmmm!” she faked a smile and squeezed his hand. ‘I hate this feeling the most! Urgh!’ she puffed her cheeks while blowing out an air.

Kris, who was right across her, kicked her shoe from under table. “Gwenchana?” he mouthed and she nodded.

After the tables have been occupied and some media representatives scattered around, the party host suddenly came up the stage with mic on hand. “Ladies and Gentleman… Good evening! We are here tonight to celebrate the birthday of our beloved CEO and without further adieu, please welcome the celebrant!”

They all stood and clapped as Sehun’s parents walked hand in hand until the center stage. Cameras from different angles snapped and flashed making his mom flinch while her husband remained composed with his regal stance. His aura was too influential that anyone in the room never dared to leave their sight off him as he talk.

“Good evening to each and every one of you!” he spoke in perfect English and bowed this time. “I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for coming and celebrating my birthday with me. It’s been a busy year for all of us and I look forward for more struggles to come, but having you all on my side makes it all worthwhile.” he moved around the stage while gesturing his hands to the audience.

“I also want to thank my dear friend Congressman Park for always being there when business gets tough. Komawo chingu!” he waved to an old man in gray suit who raised his wine glass as a reply. “And with that, let’s enjoy the night! Good evening!” he handed the mic back to the host and led his wife down the stage to join the table with his friend.

Waiters came out from all directions and served intricately plated dishes on the table for the guests. An ensemble of pianist and violinist played on the background as they ate. Sunmi however was neither hungry nor full and just stared at her food. “Babe, aren’t you gonna eat? Don’t you like it? I can ask for a different dish for you!” Sehun asked.

“It’s okay babe… I’m good!” her lips curled up.

“Here! Have some of mine! It tastes better, I swear!” he poked a piece of steak with a fork and drew it towards .

“Yah! It’s all the same!” she chuckled while looking at the plates around them.

“No it’s not! Try it!” he pointed it closer to her and she ate it. “Good girl!” he kissed the side of her head.

“That’s one nice trick to make her eat! Good job maknae!” Suho raised a thumb.

“Of course! I learned from the best playboys in SMU!” he snickered while eyeing his hyungs.

“Mwoh?” Chanyeol protested and flicked a slice of carrot to him.

Jinsuk instantly kicked his foot. “Stop it Chanyeol! You’re not in a freaking zoo!” she hissed and a pair of lips landed on her cheek. “Didn’t I tell you that strike 3 and you’ll get it?”

She grabbed a fork and raised it towards him. “Woah! Woah! Calm down sis! No need to be violent!” Sunmi took the fork and looked at her partner. “Yeollie, behave!”

He stuck his tongue out to Jinsuk while the rest of them shook their heads. “I wouldn’t be surprised that you two might just end up together.” DO snorted.

“No ing way! I’d rather die even if he’s the last guy on earth!” she hissed and Chanyeol giggled. “You’re cute!”

A camera suddenly flashed in front of Sehun and Sunmi then a journalist squeezed in between Kris and Kai. She froze in her seat and he protectively held her hand. “You’re the son of the celebrant, right?” he asked while holding a pen and small notebook.

“Yes, I am!” Sehun suddenly transformed into a well mannered elite young man.

 “Do you have anything you wanna say to your father for his birthday?” he spoke while writing.

“I'm so grateful that I have him as a father. I wish him good health and prosperity. And I’ll always be here for him!” his voice was deep and never blinked while talking. “Happy Birthday, dad!” he added in English.

The camera flashed once again making Sunmi flinch. “Is she your girlfriend? If yes, does your parents know her?” the man asked and EXO looked at each other worriedly. Sehun squeezed her hand while she kept her head down. “She is! But I want to keep my personal life to myself and I hope you respect that.”

“I understand! Can we snap a picture instead?” he raised a finger and Kai glared at him. “Dude? In which part of respect didn’t you get? off!” he sneered and they left while muttering inaudible curses.

“Don’t mind them babe. Those jerks are just hungry for gossip!” Sehun kissed the back of her hand and she smiled to him.

Sehun’s warmth comforted Sunmi and her butterflies finally stop swarming. They were each having their own conversation when the mc came and whispered to Sehun. “Your dad is asking for you.”

“Okay! I’ll be there!” he retorted and made Sunmi face him. “Babe, I’ll be back.” he cupped her face with both hands and gently kissed her lips. She held his wrists while closing her eyes to memorize the feeling. “Mmmm… I love it when you’re being obvious! Don’t worry… It won’t take long!” he kissed her forehead and met his parents on stage.

As soon as Sehun held his mother’s hand, Sunmi placed a palm on her raging chest. She shifted nervously in her chair while watching the grand ballroom, corner to corner, as if waiting for something, or someone. Her face was pale as her other hand trembled.

Jinsuk gripped her hand and her shivering arm. “Are you okay?” she felt her forehead.

“I’m not sick… I just feel nervous and scared all of a sudden.” she stuttered.

“Aish! There you go again. You know what? You’re one helluva paranoid girl.” her bff chuckled.

“I dunno sis. My paranoia is one of my best traits and it never failed me yet!” she heaved a deep breath.

The lights suddenly dimmed then a waiter came down the aisle while pushing a cart with cake topped with dozens of candle. They all stood and sang for the celebrant. Sehun’s dad stepped down the stairs and blew the candles as they clapped their hands. The lights came back up then the host handed him the mic.

“Thank you for that! It’s been a great night and I had fun catching up with friends and colleagues. But before I officially end the night, I would like to make an announcement.” they remained on their feet while bracing for the biggest news of the year.

“It is with great pride and joy that I announce my son's engagement and forthcoming marriage…” and silence erupted. A shivering cold filled the room. Crickets burst out everywhere and his dad wasn’t sure if it was a positive response or not. His mom dropped her head while preventing herself from crying while Sehun was left breathless and speechless. His eyes however unknowingly went straight to the beautiful goddess that has the same expression that he has.

They stared at each other and leaving everyone else out of their sight. ‘Just you and me, baby! Don’t you ever let your eyes off me!’ he thought.

‘I will babe!’ she smiled with her eyes.

Jinsuk squeezed her hand while EXO’s attention was divided to them. “Engagement? Marriage?” Luhan covered his gaping mouth.

“If maknae is getting married… It should be Sunmi then? Right?” DO gestured his hand to her.

“Right! Then we should be happy!” Chanyeol remarked but he can’t make himself to do it. He was too confused and overwhelmed.

Kris and Kai narrowed their eyes only to Sunmi who was about to pass out from the dragon that’s burning her heart.

“I know that my son is still young…” his dad continued. “But I believe he is capable and man enough to handle such a huge responsibility… I now present to you my future daughter-in-law…” EXO, Jinsuk and some members in the audience averted their eyes to Sunmi.

The silence however was replaced with gasps and murmurs when a girl in black mini dress came walking down the aisle with a smile that ate half of her face.

“Ladies and gentlemen… My son’s bride… Park Jiyeon! Daughter of my dear friend, Congressman Park!” and only a few slow claps were heard.

Sunmi’s knees gave up and she landed back on her seat. She paled, raising a hand to cover her beating heart and closed her eyes. Around her, everything was in fast-forward while she was motionless in the middle of it all. ‘How could this happen? Is this real? Am I dreaming?’ she shook her head and opened her eyes. ‘Oh God! Please don’t do this to me! I don’t think I can bear this!’

Jinsuk sat as well and rubbed her back. “Sunmi-ah? Yo sis!” she shook her. “Hey! Snap out of it! Show them you’re strong! Don’t let this bull affect you! Yah!” she hissed.

Sunmi raised her head and stared at her best friend. “Miahn…” she stood and made her way to the exit. She was holding her skirt while sprinting hard in her heels not even knowing where to go. Kris and Kai left as well to follow her.

“Oh no! No! No! Sunmi!” Sehun moved a step but his mom grabbed his wrist. “Son! Let this show finish first. Your dad will get mad if you leave now. Just bear with it for a while…” she pleaded.

“Umma! Is this really happening? How can you not tell me? You’re supposed to be on my side! Our side!” he gritted his teeth.

“I’m really sorry, son! I only knew about it just this morning and your dad threatened me not to tell you. I’m really sorry…” she cried this time.

Sehun hugged her in the middle of the stage while Jiyeon showed her fakest side to the public. His dad came to them and dragged him beside her fake fiancé. “Be nice to her and fake a smile if you have to!” he hissed.

“You can’t make me, dad! I’ll show you how evil I am! You just made the biggest mistake of your life!” he shoved his arm away. Sehun stood beside Jiyeon who instantly linked her arm to him while the media take their pictures. She was all poised and smiling while he smirked and showed a V with his fingers behind her head.

“Whatever you’re planning, you better stop it now! Or you’ll regret you ing met me!” he hummed.

“Oh yeah! Bring it!” she hugged his side.

“Get off me, !” he shoved her and she fell to the floor. Sehun left the stage and a chair that stood in his path flew. “Piece of !” he hissed.